• Mike Thistle will also help and not hurt. You can get it in health food stores.

• Thanks – Do you know where I can get the SAM-E, the university said I can get it at my regular vet but they don't carry it, neither does the local vet in the town I live in. My vet said they carry some liver support supplments at their office too, I think that's why they want me to wait.

I also checked online and I can only find 400mg and she needs 90mg. I also checked around for the new dog food because the university is about a 1/2 hour away...and a direction I rarely have to go...I called the Pet Supplies Plus in a nearby town we buy our normal dog food at and they are going to try and order it.

I don't want to get my hopes up with her but I'm looking forward to having a happy dog...I really hope these meds and supplements start making her feel better until we can figure out whats really wrong!!

• Sam-e can be gotten at Costco or any drug store, same with Milk Thistle, both are good for liver issues.

• Well - My vet got all her reports and I went to him to get two of the meds. The pharmacy has to special order the other because they only have capsules and she needs 1/4 of a tablet.

The vet has his own line of meds and the liver support has both SAMe and Milk Thistle along with some other vitamins and stuff. It was a little more expensive then just the SAMe at the health food store.

Also, just within a day of the new food she has ate more than she has ate in a long time. She isn't burping and her stomach isn't gurgling. She's definitely not 100% but I can already see an inprovement. I also started a Layla journal…to log how much she's eating, relieving herself, energy levels and attitude.

• Bless your heart for being the wonderful basneji mom you are! Do let us know how its going. We really do care.

• Well it's been almost 2 months since Layla was diagnosed with her liver issues. She is doing great. She's still on all three meds and probably will be forever. She's gained about 3 lbs and she's a very happy girl. She's used to taking her meds so it's pretty routine now (almost like a treat for her). She's so energetic and is super playful, sometimes too playful….but it's that typical for a basenji. Everyday makes me so happy to come home and see her doing so well.

• Wonderful news!!! Thanks for the follow-up, so glad she has responded to the meds and food. Good for you for taking such good care of her.

• Houston

Great news indeed. So happy to hear that she is doing better.

• I'm so happy that the treatment and food you are using for her are working so well. You're to be commended for being so diligent for her. Great news!

• Great news, i'm glad Layla is doing so well. Thanks for the update

Suggested Topics