• Basil started having a few accidents and then on Saturday on our ride out to the cabin he was laying on his dog bed, perfectly content and relaxed.. no whining or getting up and he was just leaking a lot of urine. So yesterday I took him to the vet and she said he looks fine but the symptoms worry her so she took a urine sample. She said white and red blood cells are fine but he has a little bacteria in his urine. She said they could have just caught the UTI early or it could be a hidden one so he's on antibiotics now. What causes UTI's? Is there anything you can do to try to prevent them?

• If the bladder environment gets too alkaline the bacteria can survive vs acidic. Also if Struvite crystals are present.

• @nobarkus:

If the bladder environment gets too alkaline the bacteria can survive vs acidic. Also if Struvite crystals are present.

The vet said there wasn't any crystals. But I mean… why does it happen?

• From the numerous times that my Bs have had bladder infections over the years the vets said "if the bladder environment is too alkyline the bacteria can survive vs an acidic environment". You have acidic foods and alkyline forming foods. If the dogs diet is mostly comprised of alkaline forming foods like veggies and fruits. Having a mostly meat diet makes the system more acidic. If the dog is not drinking enough water and possibly holding it too long too. You can check your Bs urine with PH strips. There's a color chart that you compare the strip with that will show you where he's at. The urine sample test from the vet will tell you the PH level.

What did your vet say? Also Google "why do dogs get bladder infections" to educate yourself more.

• @nobarkus:

From the numerous times that my Bs have had bladder infections over the years the vets said "if the bladder environment is too alkyline the bacteria can survive vs an acidic environment". You have acidic foods and alkyline forming foods. If the dogs diet is mostly comprised of alkaline forming foods like veggies and fruits. Having a mostly meat diet makes the system more acidic. If the dog is not drinking enough water and possibly holding it too long too. You can check your Bs urine with PH strips. There's a color chart that you compare the strip with that will show you where he's at. The urine sample test from the vet will tell you the PH level.

What did your vet say? Also Google "why do dogs get bladder infections" to educate yourself more.

Thanks for your reply. The vet didn't give a reason why he would get one, just said it was uncommon for male dogs his age to have them. He does have funny bathroom habits… aka he won't have a BM in the back yard and only on walks and likes to hold on his pee unless he's on a walk or can go on wood chips when it's cold out... so maybe that's it. He's on Orijen fish formula and only usually gets veggies and fruits as treats. He now receives a third meal of dehydrated buffalo food that is rehydrated.

• You can also give him a people cranberry pill daily - it does seem to help.

Terry

• @Terry:

You can also give him a people cranberry pill daily - it does seem to help.

Terry

Okay thanks!

• Anytime I have a dog that has a UTI, I add extra water to their food. I also give Cranberry pills. I sometimes give Vitamin C but that is based on the ph level of the urine and the recommendation of the vet. My dogs rarely have crystals but perhaps I catch the UTIs early.

It seems like rescues I get from shelters almost always have UTIs. I think they get it from either holding it too long because they do not want to get their kennel dirty or because they eat dry food and drink water separately.

Jennifer

Suggested Topics