• The main "owner" charges that much for her puppies or at least lists them for that amount, so I would image that is why the "co" breeder is pricing them that way.

• @lvoss:

Have you talked with Arlene about what breeders might have puppies available this year? Also, if you are really happy with Kairoe, you may want to ask what her plans are for her next litter.

If you have already found a breeder you know and trust, there is no reason to start at square one when looking to add to your home. Start with that breeder and use them as a resource. It is part of that "lifetime support" that comes with a responsibly bred dog.

We spoke with Arlene and she pointed us in the direction of another breeder. In fact, we're all going to see a potential puppy in a couple of weeks, but we'd like to expand our options - just in case.

We were looking forward to getting another dog from her because she's been great with us and we're totally loyal to her. We trust her with all things Basenji as well as the circle of breeders that she remains in contact with. Our breeder is our friend and not just the co-owner to our pup.

Heck, Kairoe still baroo's for Arlene. The only other person he consistently does that for is Clarisse. 8 months and I have yet to get a baroo from him.

• I am sure you will find the right pup. I ended up waiting a whole year for Rally because Robyn didn't have a litter the year we decided that Nicky would really like a companion. When I heard her litter plans for the following year I knew I wanted a puppy from that litter so we waited.

• @lvoss:

I am sure you will find the right pup. I ended up waiting a whole year for Rally because Robyn didn't have a litter the year we decided that Nicky would really like a companion. When I heard her litter plans for the following year I knew I wanted a puppy from that litter so we waited.

We would've gotten one again from Arlene (if she'd let us), only her puppies are all males, which pretty much prompted us to consider other breeders. But as Emmanuel had mentioned, we're going to a puppy party of 4 litters (16 pups in total) next weekend. We'll see for potentials.. who knows, we might end up waiting like you did.

• @-Clar|Emm|Kai-:

I just spoke with Jennie from Ahmahr Nahr, and she said that the pricing for the pups is around the $2500 range and depending on whether it is a show quality or a pet, the price can be as little as $1600. One of the pups actually sold for $3000. She's on her way to visit with the co-owner [the aforementioned seller] in Deep River to do an assessment on the pups….

IMO you may be very wise to look at new ventures for puppies. You can see more and learn more by going to Ahmahr Nahr in New Mexico there you will see Jennie and her husband. When Jennie is not working as a lawyer she goes and shows and works with the Basenji's.

Rita Jean

• So, Pat, Lisa, anybody? does Jake have more BIS than Johnny? I am thinking that strictly by numbers of dogs beaten, there is no way he could have passed Johnny?

• I am not sure, I know that Motumbo had 25 AKC BIS wins in February of last year. Not sure how many dogs defeated.

• oh, yeah…I forgot about him...that is a lot!

• I don't think either have more then Johnny. But most of Jakes were in Canada, yes? Not the US, so not sure you can compare

And I think we would have heard from Carol if Motumbo passed Johnny. I thought that Johnny had close to 50?… but I don't really remember

• I believe that all of Jake's BIS wins are in Canada.

• According to the Canine Chronicle Johnny had 21 BIS wins so Motumbo has broken that record. Johnny had 87 Group 1sts and 46350 defeats. In 2008 he was ranked 14th in the Hound Hall of Fame.

http://www.caninechronicle.com/Hall_of_fame/fame_hound08.html

• Thanks for checking that out 🙂

• Too bad that list isn't updated regularly.

Motumbo had 28 BIS… ALL owner-handled by John.
    Obviously, the numbers are much smaller in regard to dogs beaten, but that is due to show sizes there as opposed to the mainland.

And, yes, Jake's BIS are in Canada. I do not believe there are any in the US.

I also have puppy parties for my puppy folks.
    I haven't have one for a few years, and plan on doing on this spring...
    puppy owners love it, and it give them a place to bring their basenji and socialize it with other basenjis.
    The main rule if your dog doesn't get along... he/she gets the crate.
    We rarely have one that doesn't fit in with the rest... so it will be a fun time had by all!

IMO, a breeder can charge what they want. IF someone is wiling to pay exhorbant amounts, so be it.
    But, I also feel that the price one charges should not go beyond the breeders knowledge and expertise.
    A newbie breeder does not warrant a $2500 puppy price.
    With a higher price comes years of experience, incredible knowledge of the breed, a good reputation, and the ability to be able to be a mentor to new and upcoming breeders and puppy owners.

• I would assume the 2009 numbers are just not out yet.

• This person, her name is Sanda, bought Madam from Jennie and Jennie bred her. Jennie's money and her handler Larry put all the titles on the Dam and Sire. Yes, Jake is very nice looking, but I still don't think either one warrant the $2500 price tag. IMO Most of Jake's accomplishments are in Canada, but so is the Cowe's Hooter and Dante and they don't charge that much either and they have been breeding for years. This is Sanda's first litter and I don't believe she has owned Madam for that long either. I don't even know if she's owner her a year yet, I don't think so. Personally, I don't like many of the offspring Jake has produced. There is one, I believe, maybe two, that have turned out very nicely. Again IMO.

Emm, if you go there with her, I'll tackle you like a Sh*thawk on a french fry. There are nicer puppies out there that are available and temperment wise, I know will be better off with Kai. The puppy party will enable you to see which ones would be better with Kai and complement him. Jennifer has quite the guest list going!

• The puppy 'parties' sound a very good idea. Years ago we had them in the UK but they seem to have gone out of favour nowadays sadly. Our club tried to get them started again a few years ago but there was hardly any interest. You are very fortunate.

• @nomrbddgs:

This person, her name is Sanda, bought Madam from Jennie and Jennie bred her. Jennie's money and her handler Larry put all the titles on the Dam and Sire. Yes, Jake is very nice looking, but I still don't think either one warrant the $2500 price tag. IMO Most of Jake's accomplishments are in Canada, but so is the Cowe's Hooter and Dante and they don't charge that much either and they have been breeding for years. This is Sanda's first litter and I don't believe she has owned Madam for that long either. I don't even know if she's owner her a year yet, I don't think so. Personally, I don't like many of the offspring Jake has produced. There is one, I believe, maybe two, that have turned out very nicely. Again IMO.

Emm, if you go there with her, I'll tackle you like a Sh*thawk on a french fry. There are nicer puppies out there that are available and temperment wise, I know will be better off with Kai. The puppy party will enable you to see which ones would be better with Kai and complement him. Jennifer has quite the guest list going!

LOL…Arlene,

Clar and I would never even consider visiting another pup / breeder without your consult, If only Misi had a female! [sigh]

We were considering another Sherwood - that red girl stole our heart, but it's just too dang far for us to keep up the visits with Robyn. Clar and I talked about it, and if we do not decide on a puppy this year, then we're willing to wait until you had another litter.

We're impressed with the line both your kennels have produced as it was evident this year with Kairoe winning his Champions title in just under 6 shows. And we're endentured to you both for producing a dog that has been the best companion for us.

So no worries Sh*thawk mama 😉

• At this point, I am doing research so within the next 3 years I can own a basenji male (pet, but darn good conformation and temperament). What speaks to me in volumes is the fact that the breeder has not commented on this thread. That's just my opinion.

• The breeder is not on this list. I don't believe either Sanda or Jenny is on any list.

• I suppose it's too bad they are not on this list. Perhaps being new to basenji breeding, etc., they would find this group of folks as invaluable as I am.

Suggested Topics