• Jennie is not new to breeding.
    Sanda is new to basenjis and basenji breeding.

Folks here must remember that this forum was form by a young couple that wanted people to have a place to go to talk about their basenjis.

There are multiple breeders lists that quite a few breeders are on.
    Jennie is a practicing attorney and doens't have that many free hours to dog lists.

In fact, I received her 2010 Happy New Year letter last week.
    She is starting to work with Jake in obedience and hopes to put at least one title on him. She has done well with Siete in obeidience, so I would venture to say she'll accomplish the same with Jake.

There is not need for folks to bash the quality of these dogs.
    In fact, I find it rather insulting of folks to do so.
    Jennie is a reputable breeder and does her health testing and titles many of her dogs. Sure, she has handlers. So what.

• As they say, to each their own… goes to what is considered responsible health testing, breeding or not, along with other things... as far as placements.... and of course pricing

• @tanza:

As they say, to each their own… goes to what is considered responsible health testing, breeding or not, along with other things... as far as placements.... and of course pricing

Just because one doesn't think the dogs are worthy of the high price,
    it just does not warrant telling the public that they aren't worthy of the price.
    Sorry, but I think that is in bad form. Period.
    Does it mean I would want one or feel I like them?
    My opinion is mine, and I will voice it in my home,
    not out for the public to read.

Pat, we each have our desires and what we can and can't live with….
    I choose to breed dogs with stellar temperaments.
    I choose to breed dogs that pass their health testing.
    I choose to breed the way I breed my dogs because I can live with it.
    I go to bed at night knowing that I am bettering the breed.
    What others do, that is their own problem.
    I don't agree with lots of things that others do,
    and when it comes to breeding dogs that haven't been tested, or have "flunked" their health-testing, that is when I would voice my opinion.

In the end, each potential basenji dog owner will have to make their decisions based on their research or education, or lack thereof.

• –deleted--

• As someone who is looking to purchase a basenji in the future, I can tell you why, for me, the $2500 price tag for a basenji is a problem. In our society we often live with the quote "you get what you pay for". Sometimes, that is a hard mindset to do away with. With that being the case, me and other future novice basenji owners might think this is the 'best' dog, 'best breeder', and we would steer our selection to the $2500 dog. Of course I hope all new basenji owners will do their homework and check all that all health tests have been done and recorded.

I am not putting down the breeder or the dogs. Just kind of giving all of you an idea of what the $2500 price tag can look like to a new, novice basenji owner.

cheers,
    Fran

• I think the best advice on the topic of price is the advice given at the BCOA Questions for Screening Breeders.

"How much do you charge for a puppy?
    Basenji breeders in the U.S. charge between $800 and $1000 for a companion puppy on a spay/neuter contract. There can be legitimate reasons for charging more or less. However, a breeder who is selling companion puppies for significantly more or less in your geographic area should have good reasons for doing so. A breeder whose fee is significantly below market rate may be producing too many litters and needs to sell quickly. A breeder who sells at an inflated price may be seeking to line his/her pocketbook at your expense."

I would add to this only, "Know what you are paying for". What you get for the same price may be significantly different. One breeder may have invested significantly more money in their puppies than another asking the same price. Verify health testing using the OFA website, ask what the breeder sends home with their puppies, visit with the breeder and meet their dogs. Even better visit with several breeders and see lots of dogs.

• In the UK prices for puppies are very varied but believe me, the prices breeders charge have no relativity to the quality of the puppy nor to the experience of the breeder. Some of the breeders asking low prices produce very good dogs and vice versa. It is easy to assume that because a puppy is to be sold at a higher price it is a better puppy. I say this because I know of people who have rejected puppies from breeders because the price is too low!!!

• Patty,
    I think you must have thought I said the $2500 meant they were better puppies. Obviously they are to the breeders.
    I never wrote any such thing.
    What I stated was that if there was a higher price tag, there should be something to warrant it.

I gave several fabluous puppies away this year.
    Yes, GAVE. For $0. Fabulous puppies.
    I wanted one to be a companion for another dog one family got from me.
    They weren't asking for a puppy… I asked them if they would consider one as a companion.
    I gave away two others to folks that lost one of my Bs to Fanconi.
    My contract stated nothing about replacing a dog or any such thing.
    For me, it was the right thing to do.
    Does that make these dogs lesser quality because their were FREE dogs?
    Heavens no!!!

• Kathy - I must apologise if it looked as though I was saying that you wrote that more money means better puppies. I was just pointing out it seems to be quite common over here for people making puppy enquiries to think that price equates with quality.

I totally agree with you, and my priority was always for loving homes
    as I think that all Basenjis puppies are of special quality.

• This line of Basejis is a high quality and carefully bred dog. If you are planning to show, this may be something you would consider. However, if you are looking for a good quality pet, all breeders produce puppies of non show quality, and can be purchased for a much lower price, and can be neutered, as a good house companion. Remember, that tempermant is of the utmost importance, and choose your puppy wisely.

• @JMagalas:

This line of Basejis is a high quality and carefully bred dog. If you are planning to show, this may be something you would consider.

Carefully bred show prospects from experienced, ethical breeders can be obtained for under $1000 in the US.

However, if you are looking for a good quality pet, all breeders produce puppies of non show quality, and can be purchased for a much lower price, and can be neutered, as a good house companion.

Not true. Very few breeders charge a difference in price between a show prospect and a companion-only puppy.

• I agree with Robyn on both her comments.

• I personally do not differentiate between show and companion only puppy. To me, you are getting a quality puppy no matter what. The most important thing is what type of home they are going to.
    Also, I, and most of the other breeders on this site and that I know, are reputable breeders who do all their testing and thoroughly and diligently look for high quality. I breed specifically for a reason and no other. I've looked at many dogs and am very careful about what breeding direction I am taking. I go to a lot of time and expense to look for, and breed, in the area I am planning to go.

Suggested Topics