• Since Lana turned out not to be pregnant when we bred her in the fall, we actually ended up buying a puppy from a breeder. She is coming home in two weeks. Here is a picture of her. We took quite a few, but not all of them turned out to be good pics.

• Beautiful B girl!!

• Very cute, who is her breeder?

• AWWW so sweet!

• Her breeder is Sandy Cyrus of Mountain Springs Ranch down in South California.

• Hopefully her sire and dam have been DNA tested for Fanconi, doesn't say on Sandy's website

• Not just fanconi but also, thyroid, eyes, and hips. After taking such care to test Lana it doesn't make much sense not to take equal care in selecting a puppy from fully health tested parents.

• Houston

She is adorable..how cute..

• She's beautiful, i love her blaze. What are you going to call her?

• Very pretty baby girl I can see she loves you mom all ready. Please what is our name?

Rita Jean

• @tanza:

Hopefully her sire and dam have been DNA tested for Fanconi, doesn't say on Sandy's website

They have not been tested for Fanconi.

• @lvoss:

Not just fanconi but also, thyroid, eyes, and hips. After taking such care to test Lana it doesn't make much sense not to take equal care in selecting a puppy from fully health tested parents.

I am going to test this girl for everything when I get her. In the sale agreement there is a quote on health guarantee, where I have a year to get all the tests done. If something comes up I can either get my money back or exchange her for another dog. Obviously, I want to get everything done as soon as I possible, in case something comes up, before I get used to having her around too much… Is there a minimum age for hips and thyroid tests?

• Registered name is Cambria's Red Arrow, house name is going to be Strelka, meaning "little arrow" in Russian. My mom used to have a dog when she was a kid, her name was Strelka. She was a basenji-type or a shiba-type mutt, brown with white socks and a curly tail. This name in Russia is considered very appropriate for dogs with pointy nose and ears…

• Cambria?!? How is that possible?

• Yes, the minimum age for hips is 24 months, thyroid is 12 months, patellas is 12 months. So a one year health garuntee is not worth much since the tests would all be performed after the puppy turns 1 year old.

Why buy from a breeder who is breeding dogs without at a minimum testing the parents for Fanconi which is preventable with testing? This is a highly irresponsible breeding practice.

You said when you bred Lana that the stud dog owner was going to mentor you. When you decided to get a puppy did you ask her for a recommendation?

• @nkjvcjs:

Cambria?!? How is that possible?

This "breeder" has poached the name. These dogs are NOT true Cambria dogs. I had thought that BCOA had petitioned AKC to protect the name from this unethical use but I can't remember if AKC approved retiring the name.

• @lvoss:

This "breeder" has poached the name. These dogs are NOT true Cambria dogs. I had thought that BCOA had petitioned AKC to protect the name from this unethical use but I can't remember if AKC approved retiring the name.

Yes, I thought AKC voted to restrict the kennel name in 2004, that why I asked how it was possible. Was the restriction reversed?

• I looked it up, and AKC did agree to retire Cambria in the basenji breed.

• No, it was not reversed and if a registration is submitted with the name it should be rejected by AKC.

• Lisa is right.
    If you send in the registration with that name, they will send you a letter stating that the kennel name is registered and it requires a signature of the owner.
    Since the main breeder of the Cambria prefix has since passed, that won't be happening 🙂

So, you can't register her with that name.
    I do agree with everyone else… WHY bother with a puppy that COULD easily become fanconi affected?
    You did health test your own girl...
    why not just find a breeder that has health-tested their sire/dam and get a puppy from them?
    Or wait and breed your girl next cycle.

If you need some reading material, I'd be happy to share with you many Fanconi articles... some I have written and some by other folks.
    You may want to look closer at what it is like to live with a Fanconi affected basenji. It is NOT fun.

I would love to tell you have fun... but I think you are making a huge mistake that you could very well wish you had listened to the many voices of reason.

Suggested Topics