Looking for female red and white Basenji with full breeding rights.

• I'm looking for a red and white female Basenji Puppy must be Fanconi clear.
    I have three Basenji's one male light colored brindle (Simba) Fanconi clear. But my two females have problems one had to be fixed do to a heart mermer and bad hips Tri colored (Nala). My seconed female is a possible fanconi carrier dark colored Brindel (Tippy Tigress) so I don't want to breed her. Both of my females were bought from a not so good breeder out of Arkansas. My male is out of Texas and is one of the best looking Basenji that I've seen in a long time please help him find his mate.

• Can't help with your puppy search, but welcome to the forum

• What is the breeding on your male? Have you talked to the breeder of the male to see what their recommendation for a bitch might be? Do you intend to show?

• I recived my male basenji Simba King of the Basenjis from Dee's Basenjis out of Texas. His father is Am Ch Asil Walkabout by Eldorado a Brindle and white HP086228/04 and his mother is Remba Naima Kibibi a red and white. I've talked to dee about a female Basenji and she said that she didn't know of any other breeders, said to check with the BCOA.
    I would love to show him but around Idaho there very little in the way of shows, I would like to get into the BOAC but I don't know of anyone to recommend me to get membership.

• First Basenji's

@kimbertonhaynes:

I don't want to cause problems on the forum, but could you message me with the name of the breeder in Arkansas. That is where we live and I really would like to avoid doing business with someone like that. Thanks.

• Your best bet for finding a good breeder is to do the reseach yourself. You can verify health testing at www.offa.org and it is highly suggested that you do so when talking to different breeders and finding ones that health test for more then just Fanconi. If you go to www.basenji.org you can find this link that will tell you what kinds of questions that you should be asking a breeder.
    http://www.basenji.org/learn/ScreeningBreeders.htm

• @kimbertonhaynes:

I recived my male basenji Simba King of the Basenjis from Dee's Basenjis out of Texas. His father is Am Ch Asil Walkabout by Eldorado a Brindle and white HP086228/04 and his mother is Remba Naima Kibibi a red and white. I've talked to dee about a female Basenji and she said that she didn't know of any other breeders, said to check with the BCOA.
    I would love to show him but around Idaho there very little in the way of shows, I would like to get into the BOAC but I don't know of anyone to recommend me to get membership.

By the way, there is a good breeder in Idaho, Tis-A-'Senji that you could learn lots from about Basenjis, breeding, pedigrees, health, etc. You can find her contact information at www.basenji.org

• My Females were bought from TOP DOG BASENJIS / THE RIVER VALLEY BASENJIS http://www.topdogbasenjis.com/

• @kimbertonhaynes:

My Females were bought from TOP DOG BASENJIS / THE RIVER VALLEY BASENJIS http://www.topdogbasenjis.com/

Some mighty creative advertising on this website.

_Home of AKC Champion

Oakie Acres Tammie's Impressive Flynt

& legenda Arden Dustin(Russian Import)_

The AKC has no record of Basenjis with these names

CHAMPION PRODUCING SIRE BRINDLE
    Malik

This dog has no AKC champion offspring.

• Fanconi carrier can be bred to Fanconi clear. It's the Possible Affected's that should not be bred and Carrier should not be bred to Carrier. That said, please get advice from other breeders before you embark on this. It's not a way to make money. From what I'm seeing on these forums, most breeders are lucky to break even.

I looked at the website for your bitches' breeder…I'm appalled at the idea of referring to pups as "products" as this breeder does. Also, on looking at the pictures of their pups, I see they refer to a Tri as a Black and White...ehh...huh?

• There is a lot of good information here. Glad you found us. I do basenji rescue in Id.
    I am happy not to have anymore poorly bred b's show up in rescue. So thank you for not breeding your females.

• @AJs:

Fanconi carrier can be bred to Fanconi clear. It's the Possible Affected's that should not be bred and Carrier should not be bred to Carrier. That said, please get advice from other breeders before you embark on this. It's not a way to make money. From what I'm seeing on these forums, most breeders are lucky to break even.

I looked at the website for your bitches' breeder…I'm appalled at the idea of referring to pups as "products" as this breeder does. Also, on looking at the pictures of their pups, I see they refer to a Tri as a Black and White...ehh...huh?

I will only say that in regards to breeding possible Affected, I disagree with not using them. Now, personally I would never use a possible Affected bitch, however I would and plan to in the future use possible Affected and/or collected Affected males. We can't afford to lose the gene pool by discounting these dogs. Granted you must breed to a Clear and you will get all Carriers, however management of these Carriers, bred back to clear, is IMO needed to not lose more out of the gene pool then we have already.

• Ms. Pat, I would suggest that for experienced breeders with a complete understanding of genetics and the ability to look ahead to what will happen generations down the line. That is something for an advanced breeder with plans to stay active in the breed for decades. Somebody like yourself, for example.

This lady sounds like a beginner, although she is doing her homework. That, in and of itself, is to be commended. However, until she is more seasoned, I would say use the KISS method. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

• While I would tend to agree, I think that it is important to put out there that we should never throw away baby with the bath water

• @tanza:

While I would tend to agree, I think that it is important to put out there that we should never throw away baby with the bath water

Agreed. However, I stand by my statement regarding let beginners start out with stuff that's not too complicated. Keeping the gene pool active is the reason I suggested she consider her Carrier bitch for breeding as long as the Carrier status is the only reason for bypassing her.

• @tanza:

I will only say that in regards to breeding possible Affected, I disagree with not using them. Now, personally I would never use a possible Affected bitch, however I would and plan to in the future use possible Affected and/or collected Affected males. We can't afford to lose the gene pool by discounting these dogs. Granted you must breed to a Clear and you will get all Carriers, however management of these Carriers, bred back to clear, is IMO needed to not lose more out of the gene pool then we have already.

Tanza,

Just curious about why you wouldnt use an Affected bitch, but would use a dog… Why not an Affected bitch ???

• @saba:

Tanza,

Just curious about why you wouldnt use an Affected bitch, but would use a dog… Why not an Affected bitch ???

It must be a charge on her. I would be affraid of her immune system and would be affraid there could be some complications during pregnancy. I would never risk that.

• Now i'm just guessing here Irena but like you i would think that using an affected Bitch could put a strain on her system as pregnancy does. However maybe if it is a bitch that is classified as possibly affected and she is bred from early before she develops fanconi it is safe as long as she is bred to a clear?

• Not a breeder, and don't plan on it, at least not for a decade or so, as I am just getting started in the breed.

Nonetheless, I would probably guess it would be best to collect and neuter a probably affected male you plan to breed on to prevent the stress of rut from making his fanconi worse.

• @thunderbird8588:

Now i'm just guessing here Irena but like you i would think that using an affected Bitch could put a strain on her system as pregnancy does. However maybe if it is a bitch that is classified as possibly affected and she is bred from early before she develops fanconi it is safe as long as she is bred to a clear?

If she would develops Fanconi it would be strain on her immune system in itself and if she would be pregnant further, it would be double strain on her.
    It is safe for puppies because they will be carriers (from clear father), but I'm not sure it is safe for female, it is my opinion.

Suggested Topics