• Well hello to everybody.

I have joined this forum as i really like the basenji and would love on for our family dog. We currently have 5 leopard geckos and a snake as pets. Aand feel like now would be a good time to start getting things in place for a new addition to the family.

So in shrt im after any information i can get on these lovely animals.
    Info on importing to the UK, the cost of a puppy, what the requirements the breeders have towards the potential new owners and so on.

Well again a big hello to everybody..I look forward to talking to you soon. 🙂

• Hello and welcome to forum!
    I love snakes and lizards :D.

• Welcome to the forum. The Basenji homework you do will be key to your success. I've had them for over 30 years and each one is different and I have to learn new ways of handling it. Buddy and I hike up in the hills here in California and there's these little lizards that dart back and forth across the the trail and Buddy goes nuts trying to catch them.

• @irena:

Hello and welcome to forum!
    I love snakes and lizards :D.

Thanks and yip got to love the reptiles..:)

• Welcome. There are several members here that are in the UK and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you in your quest.

• @nobarkus:

Welcome to the forum. The Basenji homework you do will be key to your success. I've had them for over 30 years and each one is different and I have to learn new ways of handling it. Buddy and I hike up in the hills here in California and there's these little lizards that dart back and forth across the the trail and Buddy goes nuts trying to catch them.

Thanks. I wish i could go for a walk in cali.. yea i need to brush up on the breed as i want him/her to be as happy as all of us in the family…

• @agilebasenji:

Welcome. There are several members here that are in the UK and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you in your quest.

Thanks. I hope so. Would really like to see this breed in the flesh and give it a cuddle. I'm trying to find somebody local that we can go round an see the basenji

• Welcome it's great your wanting to learn more about the Basenji. Just for me I could not have a Basenji with lizards and snakes. Basenjis just do to many things and get into things the lizard and snake would no longer be safe or the Basenji may not be safe from them. What if the Basenji kill's one of the lizards and eats it?

Rita Jean

• @Rita:

Welcome it's great your wanting to learn more about the Basenji. Just for me I could not have a Basenji with lizards and snakes. Basenjis just do to many things and get into things the lizard and snake would no longer be safe or the Basenji may not be safe from them. What if the Basenji kill's one of the lizards and eats it?

Rita Jean

Hello.
    I would never have the geckos or snake out when the doggy is bouncing around and as the reptiles are nocturnal they only come out when everybody is in bed. So the little doggy would be in his bed when the other come out to play…

So no issues there, but thanks for pointing it out to me as these are the reasons i have come to the forum as i want to cross all my T's and dot all my I's before we get a new addition.

Cheers

• Houston

Welcome to you and all your critters….we have a leopard gecko as well, her name is Tiger..fitting don't you think?
    She is actually my daughters gecko and she travels back and forth each week to her class room, she spends the school days with the kids and comes home for the weekend..

I am sure you will get some inoput from some of our british members.
    I believe that there are at least a few breeders in Britain, if not definitely on the European continent..
    Welcome again..

• You should talk to Patty (Sally). She's in UK Shropshire and has 60 years experience and over 30 years breeding.

• @Basenjimamma:

Welcome to you and all your critters….we have a leopard gecko as well, her name is Tiger..fitting don't you think?
    She is actually my daughters gecko and she travels back and forth each week to her class room, she spends the school days with the kids and comes home for the weekend..

I am sure you will get some inoput from some of our british members.
    I believe that there are at least a few breeders in Britain, if not definitely on the European continent..
    Welcome again..

Thanks. Love the little leos. i'm sure i will find out all the details i need over time. Not doing to bad as today is really my first day looking for info..

• @nobarkus:

You should talk to Patty (Sally). She's in UK Shropshire and has 60 years experience and over 30 years breeding.

Thanks for that. I will try to track her down. get the old sniffer going..lol

• Hi Knarf,
    welcome to the forum. I am in the uk and we have our name down with a breeder, hoping to get a pup after christmas.
    As people have pointed out there are breeders in the uk and puppy season is coming up.
    We were advised to attend some shows to get to know the breeders, we have already had one Basenji. We did attend some shows this year and it's fantastic to see so many Basenjis and chat to enthusiasts. I can reccomend it even if you are not interested in showing. There is actualy a Basenji show this sunday in cheshire.
    I think Dan is referring to Sally Wallis, she is on this forum as Zande.

• Welcome to the forum 🙂

• The lady I got AJ from has snakes, lizards and turtles in the house along with her three remaining Basenji and one large black hairy dog of questionable heritage. I have not heard anyone in the family say the dogs did anything to the reptiles, but yes, better to be safe rather than sorry.

Welcome

• Welcome to the forum Knarf3 - there are plenty of british basenji folk on here too. If you are looking for a pup you should check out the websites of the 3 UK basenji clubs, and possibly attend one of the shows. The Northern Basenji society is holding its open show tomorrow in Cheshire - check out their website for details.

cheers

Scott

• Thanks everybody for all the welcomes and details.

We are in no rush as this is something we have just started to look into. And as much as we would love a puppy in two months time we would rather make sure that we not only meet the dogs requirements but also the breeders as i would hate for a breeder to turn us down for any reason.

I am going to try find somebody local who has basenji's and see if they will let us go round to see them and try gain some info on the dogs and take it from there.
    But i cant see us getting a little one this season but you never know….

Many thanks

Frank

• A welcome to the Basenji forum - its always good to have more UK members.

I am the person who has been the longest involved in the breed in the UK (over 60 years) who Nobarkus mentions. As Thunderbird says Sally Wallis has indeed been involved for quite a while although there are others who have had them longer - Sally is invaluable for her Basenji database if you are interested in pedigrees and she also has good knowledge of available Basenjis.

If you live anywhere near Shropshire you are very welcome to visit my Basenjis at any time and spend time with them. Their ages range from 6 to 15). I can give you plenty of advice as so many of us can and if you wish I can send you my introductory blurb which I give to prospective owners.

There is a basenji show in Cheshire tomorrow (18th) but perhaps that is too short notice? However if you can make it you'll be made very welcome and there should be quite a few Basenjis there. However I always advise prospective buyers to see them in their homes as that is the ideal way to assess how well you would get on with living with one.

I haven't had experience of basenjis living with reptiles but it is quite possible I would think that they would get on ok. We have a lot of toads here and my Basenjis are always intrigued but never attack nor even mouth them.

If you let me know what area you live in I can also put you in touch with
    owners who are always willing for you to visit.

• Frank,
    you are right not to rush. Good idea to do plenty of research and this forum is certainly a good place to do it. Where abouts in the UK are you, there may be someone on the forum quite near, you never know.

Suggested Topics