• @CrazyBasenjiMom:

Man, I need to type slower and re read my replys, my spelling is horrible. I will try the imodeime….(sp)

Thanks again all,

At this point I would avoid the immodium. Why complicate things. The dogs digestive system will straighten itself out if it is given a chance. Sometimes even in the numbers look the same in regard to proteins on the food label its a combination of ingredients they use to accomplish the protein levels that may not agree with your dog. Try mixing in a lower protein quality food with your Wellness food and see if the stools start to solidify. You should notice something within a week.

Jason

• I would avoid giving any dog immodium. When a dog has a loose stool, their bodies are trying to get rid of something. If you give immodium, the system cannot get whatever is bothering it out. Tinkering with the food issues is time consuming. But it is better for the animal overall, and will lead you to a conclusion, instead of just masking a symptom. Immodium is a band-aid solution. If the situation was dire, and constant, only then would I consider using it. I used to work for a veterinarian, and never did we recommend using any medication to stop loose stools unless we knew what was causing it, then we treated that problem.

If you have constant problems, you can with hold all food and water for 24 hours, and re-introduce boiled chicken and rice or boiled ground beef and rice in small quantities, over the period of a few days. After a few days, when you have seen solid stools reappear, you go back to small quantities of dog food and see how that goes.

It doesn't sound like that is the case with your guy though, so I would continue to investigate the food situation, trying different sources and levels of protein.

• I have to agree with Eski about not using the Immodium and was told as much by my vet. It doesn't let the dog get whatever it is trying to get rid of out of it's system. It could be either food related or something like giardia. Sometimes giardia symptoms come and go. Has the vet consider the possibility of that?

• Thera-zyme Irb L1 to L3

http://www.enzymeformulations.com/store/detail.asp?class=thera-zyme&ID=21

My Shep has had a problem since I rescued her. These herbs help. Without them, she has problems holding pooh. Kira takes these every day and has for several years. Without them, she has accidents.

The product is not sold commercially, but I've found a distributor who will send the herbs. My vet prescribed the herbs, but I can buy them cheaper on-line.
    http://www.longnaturalhealth.com/products.asp

The product is human grade.

If you are interested I can help you with proper dosage.

I also use Wellness and have never had a problem with the food.

• Houston

Cindy, I would alss try giving him some probiotics like FortiFlora and some Slipper Elm either in pill or drop form. I givethis to Otis when his stomach acts up, and he is fine within a few hours..
    The FortiFlora I got from the vet. The Slippery Elmdrops I have are the brand "Animals Apawthecary", and I bought it at "Bones to Go" off of 290 and Jones Rd.
    I hope Shango feels better soon.
    ..you know he could be allercgic to something in the food even though Ra isn't..

• I agree with not using the Imodium… until you understand what is causing the problem. Most of the time it turns out to be giardia. Has he been treated for anything?... it is not always easy to determine Giardia as it doesn't always show up in the stool sample and I have had more then just a couple of Basenjis that Giardia never showed up in the stool, but treated with Flagyl or Panacur, totally fixed them up.... The usually treatments are Flagyl, but if that doesn't work, then Panacur. There are a couple of others. First you need to start ruling out the cause...

Here is just one link to Giardia http://www.giardiaindogs.com/giardia-in-dogs-symptoms.php

And I am sure that this will cause a "stir" on the Forum… but I have never used puppy food once the pups are weaned and I have used up the last of bad.....

• Ps. vet did do stool samples and checked and prescribed the imodium and gave me amounts for pill and liquid… so this is vet prescribed. and it works for us. 🙂

• @jonny:

Ps. vet did do stool samples and checked and prescribed the imodium and gave me amounts for pill and liquid… so this is vet prescribed. and it works for us. 🙂

But as I understand it, it was not for CrazyBasenjiMom's pup…. unless I missed something.

• Giardia is not always evident in poop samples. I believe it depends if the parasites are shedding or not. If they are not shedding, you will get a negative test. Even if they are present. Just my two cents worth.

• Houston

Giardia is not always evident in poop samples. I believe it depends if the parasites are shedding or not. If they are not shedding, you will get a negative test. Even if they are present. Just my two cents worth.

That is how my vet described it to me..Otis was ill a few months ago, and they couldn't find anything wrong through all the tests, but she just had a hunch he had Giradia, so she gave him Panacur, FortiFlora and a antibiotic, with in a day he was better and a few days later he was back as his normal self. He was sick with diarrhea, enough to loose 2.5 lbs in three days..

• Thanks, he was or the fortiflora after the first eposide when I took them to the vets….I still have be using it every day it was a big box, Could it be the water, I don't even drink houston water. When would you reccommend to upgrad from puppy to regular food. I more confused now from the post than before, alot of theriories...What do you feed otis? Hope to see you at the dog park soon.

• Houston

Well Otis is on RAW food, but the wellness food you are feeding is a good one. If you want to try some new foods, Check out Wabash on Washington, right around the corner from you, they have a lot of either organic or natural foods, even some no-grain variates.
    Our foster Dotty get Blue Buffalo Wilderness, it does have oatmeal in it, but that is it on grains. The other really good foods out there is Dick Van Pattens foods, that natural balance line, they're all really good, but I prefer the Duck and potato, or one of their other super premium foods. As far as puppy food vs adult, thay are bothalmost 10 mo old right? I think you can go ahead and start them on adult food, but since thay are fairly small sized, you can keep them on puppy for a bit longer..it is not as if they are getting fat.
    Good luck, it sucks when the babies aren't feeling good…
    Yes we will see if we can meet up at the park, especially since I have two B's needing their energy out..

• Honestly it sounds more like giardia than a food issue. Especially where it is on and off. Like Tanza said, you'll need either Panacur or Flagyl to get the dog over it. My vet said the same thing as the others said - giardia doesn't always show up in testing. So if there is a diarrhea issue on and off my vet is good about trying Panacur or Flagyl. I've heard such good things about Panacur that would be what I would request.

• You have had a lot of good suggestions and its no wonder you are confused. I strongly suggest keeping things simple for both you and your dog.

This means you do not want to change more than one variable at a time because you will not know what actually helped your dog.

Has your vet had you try either the flagyl or the panacur remedy? If not then you might want to investigate this first just to rule out the possibility of giardia. From what you have written here so far, your dog is not vomiting, losing interest in meals, or losing weight but of course you should discuss that with your vet.

I think it would also be worthwhile to discuss the possibility that your dog might need a more bland or lower protein diet to help straighten him out and give his digestive system a chance to adjust and adapt as his food is changed. You Vet should be able to answer these types of questions.

I would avoid any additions of Herbs, Immodiem, or any other type of supplement or medication unless your vet instructs you to administer it.

The less complicated you keep it the easier it will be to isolate the issue and its cause.

http://www.pets911.com/animal-academy/dogs-101/diet-and-nutrition

http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/can_high_protein_food_like_innova_be_giving_my_3_12_month_old_shiba_diarrhea_maybe_her_stomach_cant_-4550

http://www.i-love-dogs.com/forums/dog-health-nutrition/21707-stinky-loose-poop.html

Jason

• Thank you Jason, we did do a round of the flagyl, and an antibotic, and the flortiflora, we followed the course and had improvement, In thinking back, dumb me, I introdcued a new treat for trainning purpose and this may be the root of evil, I'm giving them away tomorrow, what would you suggest for the "bribe treat" we are sitting and staying, leave it is a slow to come and when I call him he doesn't alwasy come, this boy was really brutalized, scared of doors, if you try and pet him he still ducks and backs off, he has high anixety, paces, he eventually calms down with singing and lavender on his nose…..I want to keep it simple " boys are exactly 10 months old, My Belle will be 2 and she is on Wellness whitefish and sweet potatoe, seems she is board with it now, not eating as much, she want the pups food. I have to seperate them. Whew, who knew, I'm crazy for these 3 but it is hard work. Tomorrow is dog blessing at our church....hope it takes.....

• Only time we have had Jaycee get loose poop is when something has upset her. Her first couple of training classes upset her we got loose. It might not be the food could be something else.

Rita Jean

• @CrazyBasenjiMom:

Thank you Jason, we did do a round of the flagyl, and an antibotic, and the flortiflora, we followed the course and had improvement, In thinking back, dumb me, I introdcued a new treat for trainning purpose and this may be the root of evil, I'm giving them away tomorrow, what would you suggest for the "bribe treat" we are sitting and staying, leave it is a slow to come and when I call him he doesn't alwasy come, this boy was really brutalized, scared of doors, if you try and pet him he still ducks and backs off, he has high anixety, paces, he eventually calms down with singing and lavender on his nose…..I want to keep it simple " boys are exactly 10 months old, My Belle will be 2 and she is on Wellness whitefish and sweet potatoe, seems she is board with it now, not eating as much, she want the pups food. I have to seperate them. Whew, who knew, I'm crazy for these 3 but it is hard work. Tomorrow is dog blessing at our church....hope it takes.....

Sounds to me like this boy has really had it rough. I am sure he will eventually warm up with a lot of patience and love from you. He is very nice that you have given him the opportunity to have a wonderful and loving home. As you know Pacing seems to be part of the Basenji makeup. When mine gets ready to go out he does pace back and forth or will walk in a circle around me until I stop and leash him. He will also pace back and forth if he thinks I am going to take him somewhere. Recently I picked up a rescue dog for transport that appeared to have been abused, neglected, and half starved to death. Her name happened to be Bella also. In the short time she was in my care, I made sure she was comfortable and had plenty to eat. On a leash she was somewhat skittish so she ended up staying close. Before she left us she was licking us affectionately and rubbing up against our legs. She went to a nice foster home and is a lucky girl in that respect. It really upsets me and breaks my heart to see dogs abused, starved, or put in harms way. I could never be a foster home for a dog because I know I would want to keep all of them.

I am not suggesting that you change Belles food, but when we had our Boston decide she wanted some of his puppy food it made it easier to change to EVO for us. Inova EVO feeds the same food from puppy to adult so there is no change except for the amount.

As far as treats go. I have had great success training with plain regular Cheerios. Generic Cheerios will do and I believe there is another here who has had success with them as well. They are very cheap and our dogs seem to love them even to this day. If you call him he likes Cheerios, then you can give him one every time he does come and that will make it a positive experience for him.

Another Treat we use is called No Grainers. It is 100% Grain Free, made in the USA(Springville UT), made with fish and is all natural. I think you will find your pups really respond to this one. Roo is sitting here with his head on my knee because I put the bag on my desk so I could get information off if it. So far we have found the cost on the No Grainers pretty reasonable.

We use a product by Vitalife, however I did find that when Roo was younger his digestive system had issue with these so I discontinued feeding him them. Now that he is older, his digestive system has matured and he appears to handle them with no problems. They are called Chicken Chips. They are 100% Chicken and very high in protein. In fact the manufacturer suggests you limit the amount you give of these to your dog in one day based on weight. They are 64% Protein. They even have a money back guarantee. So you cannot beat that but I would wait until after he is a year old. They do make other versions like duck, but again better tolerated if he is older.

Last but least, we recently found another chicken product by Dogswell called Vitality with Omega 3's. Basically it is Chicken Breast Jerky with Flaxseed & Vitamins. It contains NO Hormones, NO Antibiotics, No Fillers, and NO Byproducts. It is from Cage free all natural chicken what ever that means. This product is the highest in protein at 70% min. Suggested feeding is 2 to 4 per day for dogs 15-45lbs.

Ok now Roo is laying on my feet hoping for one of these treats so I better go give it to him. At least he is not pawing my leg or doing the Basenji Pogo without a stick. Roo and Bonzo line up and sit right next to one another everytime I get these treats out and almost cannot contain themselves.

Jason

Suggested Topics