Skip to content

Need to give up my Basenji dog

Member Introductions
  • I have a female Basenji who is a about 2 years old. I work a new schedule and I am never home and my poor dog suffers. I need to find her a new loving home. She loves attention. Can someone help me find a rescue in Maryland.

  • Have you contacted BRAT (Basenji Rescue and Transport)?
    http://www.basenjirescue.org/BRAT_Info/default.htm

  • Brat is a great option for your dog and yourself. Contact them, and I know you will get all the help you need.

  • BRAT is Great!

    I also encourage you to contact them… I got my first girl through them and they are dedicated to ensuring the best placement of their guys. They interviewed me numerious times, and came to my home to inspect where the potential pet would live. Not only that, but they spent time educating me on the pros and cons of a basenji (yes, had me look at damaged new couches, etc on internet) then taught me how to be the best parent I could be- and were there for me 6 months later when I had questions. Next, they helped me get my girl.... I think she came from over 3 states away. They organized a transport between themselves in order for me not to have to drive a long way to get her - both thinking of her safety and mine.... I cannot express how much I appreciate all of their efforts as a team.... and I can tell you that if you have to give up your girl, thinking of her best interest first, they will make sure she will go to a good home....

  • @jamiesdog:

    I have a female Basenji who is a about 2 years old. I work a new schedule and I am never home and my poor dog suffers. I need to find her a new loving home. She loves attention. Can someone help me find a rescue in Maryland.

    Did she come from a breeder? Most responsible breeders will/should take back their Basenjis?

  • @tanza:

    Did she come from a breeder? Most responsible breeders will/should take back their Basenjis?

    This would be your first option.

Suggested Topics

  • Hi all! Is my dog a Basenji/Chi mix?

    Member Introductions
    12
    2 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    D
    He certainly is cute. Give him an extra hug from me tonight.
  • Basenji mix?

    Member Introductions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    M
    Hi there. I would do some DNA testing on him. However, if you go to the Colorado Basenji Rescue website, there is a mix at the bottom of the page. There appears to be some similarities. You could also email Peggy of CBR with your photos and ask her. She has been working with Basenji and Basenji mixes for a long, long time.
  • Basenji mix down under

    Member Introductions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    claireC
    Ok, I've added her as my profile pic - not sure how I post a photo in a reply though...
  • New Basenji

    Member Introductions
    43
    0 Votes
    43 Posts
    21k Views
    KanangaK
    He's a hungry dog today. Gave him 1/2 cup in the morning and just a few minutes ago. He had no problem eating. I'm much more happy that he's eating now. He likes his bone as well. Not too much into the Kong yet. I just wish he didn't cry in his crate when I put him in there. Feel bad for him but I know it just takes adjusting. He is perfectly fine when I return home after he's been in there awhile. It's just the initial time. To be honest though, this transition went far better than I expected. I was prepared for the worst. This little guy has done very well.
  • Need help with basenji

    Member Introductions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    S
    I agree that having a companion for your dog is helpful. My 2 b's sleep on the bed when we are are work…unless they are sunning themselves outside in the summer keeping an eye on the yard. We have a doggie door and its helpful...but I wouldn't let a single dog have access to the outside, as they might see some dog they want to play with and go over/under the fence. My 2 have never even tried to climb out. But I believe its cause they are together.
  • Hello to All - New Basenji Mom needs help!

    Member Introductions
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    7k Views
    luzmery928L
    Although I have no words of advise I do want to commend you for trying your best to give Maddy Keller a chance to have a home. I wish you the best of luck in finding her a new home.