Skip to content

My dog is a basenji, right?

Member Introductions
  • And if so, what is he mixed with?

    So w just got him this last Tuesday from a humane society shelter and it said on the tag he was a basenji mix. I have been doing research and am inclined to agree. My grandad (who owned basenjis way before I, or my parents, existed) says he is definitely part basenji. He doesn't seem to show any of the 'cat like aloofness' my research says many basenji have, but due to his appearance I still think he is.

    He is about a year old and ways about 11 pounds (small, but big compared to my granddad 6 pound chiweenie) and maybe nine or ten inches tall (haven't measured so this may be inaccurate). He can yowl (is that what it's called?) but he has also barked on one occasion while we were at a swimming pool and my brothers were jumping in (will include link).

    Photo of him lying down. He has that white basenji stripe on his back. https://flic.kr/p/x8Btky

Suggested Topics

  • Hi all! Is my dog a Basenji/Chi mix?

    Member Introductions
    12
    2 Votes
    12 Posts
    5k Views
    D
    He certainly is cute. Give him an extra hug from me tonight.
  • 3 Votes
    15 Posts
    19k Views
    ZandeZ
    That Mama/puppy relationship is beautiful ! I love the puppy ! Welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing the results of the DNA test.
  • Basenji mix down under

    Member Introductions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    claireC
    Ok, I've added her as my profile pic - not sure how I post a photo in a reply though...
  • My Basenjis

    Member Introductions
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    P
    As mine age I try to keep a bit of weight on them because I know they may reach a stage when they just don't keep weight as the organs weaken.
  • Newbie to basenjis

    Member Introductions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    5k Views
    wizardW
    Welcome to the pack and yes do post pictures when you get a chance - we are definitely addicted to pictures.
  • My Basenji?

    Member Introductions
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    14k Views
    scarlettsmommaS
    It was actually the vet tech wasn't the most brilliant thing on the planet… needless to say I found another vet the next week and they think she might have some bulldog in her... what a mix. I believe that she definitely could have some bulldog in her judging by the way she lays around the house.