Skip to content

Very bad behavior

Behavioral Issues
  • Thank you all for the info and comments. I have tried to start some of them. I have been playing alot more outside with him and also making the crate a "good" place. any time he does something good or gets a treat it goes in the crate. ive also pulled the crate out of the bathroom while we are home so that he can explore and realize it is always out besides just when he has to go inside when we leave. he has done ALOT better. no chewing on the crate and only a little bit of pee. things are getting better… thank goodness!!!

  • Great stuff Melissa, sounds like things are improving.

  • Fantastic Melissa…it is so great that you really committed to helping him thru the problems. Please keep us posted. :):):)

  • Sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel, great news. I am glad things are looking up. yes , please do keep us posted.

  • Hey Melissa, How did it go over the weekend? Did you get it to where the enclosed area can be his place while you are at work? I have had a B for 71/2 months now. They are unique on the one hand with some breed specifics, but a dog none the less. Any dog needs exercise and mental stimulation(esp B's! A tired Basenji is a Happy One!) and since they are social animals, they need companionship. It sounds like you are strapped financially like us all, but I can only offer you three alternatives: 1)doggy day care or a sitter, 2)another dog, 3)get him to a home where his needs will be met. It's not to be mean or belittle you, it is just that being fustrated is not healthy for you mentally or physically, nor your little boy.

Suggested Topics

  • New Behavior

    Moved Behavioral Issues
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    6k Views
    KembeK
    @tanza I laughed @ “the close enough”! I know my dog is getting old - her face is white and her eyes are getting cloudy - but she will always be my baby. I have a hard time accepting the fact that she is getting older. I am going to have to remind and help her to go outside more often. I thank everyone on this forum for their kind words and comments.🙏🐕❤️🐾 BASENJI STRONG 💪
  • Change in travelling behavior

    Behavioral Issues
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    3k Views
    wizardW
    It started several months before the second dog arrived. Maybe the lack of visibility is the issue - I raised the platform yesterday so the kennel sits a little higher (though maybe not high enough) so we'll see tonight (of course it will be dark out and cold so probably not a good test).
  • Mealtime Behavior

    Behavioral Issues
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    10k Views
    ?
    Since Sonny joined the family three years ago its seems everyone has invested in a pub style table! my house, my parents & my brother. he can't reach so he doesn't even try. sometimes its just easier to out smart them! :D The two things that just overwhelm sonny are cheese and steak…he'll do anything to try and get it and I swear he blocks me out and is lost in a trance! ;)
  • Waking up Badly

    Behavioral Issues
    18
    0 Votes
    18 Posts
    9k Views
    tanzaT
    @Patty: Spaying is not usually the answer so don't expect miracles! Please don't neglerct to follow advice given on the site. Well put Patty. While I agree that she should be spayed, it is not the end to end problem solver… the suggestions regarding training are just as important and maybe even more so. You might even want to look into a behaviorist to come to your home and work with you and her.
  • Eating behaviors..

    Behavioral Issues
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    10k Views
    N
    Hello, I just wanted to send a quick update on Nulla. She is doing so well! We started a dog training course where my boyfriend and I are the alpha dogs. There is not treats involved and it has shown amazing results. Nulla has been in the course for about a month now. We have had no eating problems from her (no barfing, no not eating what we set our for her), no behavioral problems (no chewing my shoes, etc). She seems so happy and I am sure she is gaining weight (although I have not weighed her). I think dog training is completely necessary and we've seen HUGE results in Nulla. Everything I posted about before is no longer a concern. Thanks for all the input though. Take Care :)
  • Strange behavior!!!

    Behavioral Issues
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    8k Views
    P
    I think you should go back to your vets especially as this has been happenig ever since the emergency surgery. It could just be coincidence I suppose, but if she were mine I'd want to check. As Pat says more information is needed before suggestions can be given.