Dog breed in danger of extinction, six out of seven can disappear! Spread the word!

• I agree with you about Buhunds being a lovely breed I grew up with living with several Buhunds over the years and will probably be getting another in the future:D

• Houston

I had no idea they were that bad off… They are beautiful dogs.. Since I grew up in Sweden, I am familiar with the breed, never owned one in our family but had several friends that had some.

• I have been fascinated by Lundehunds for years and would love to have one. I think they would make great Basenji companions! There used to be a few American breeders listed in the Dog Fancy magazine, but I noticed about 3 years ago they disappeared.
    Buhunds, I think, are in the process of AKC eligibility, which may help them!

Terry

• @Terry:

I think, are in the process of AKC eligibility, which may help them!
    Terry

They have been accepted as of 1st January of this year so hopefully the numbers might increase a little in the US. Numbers have fallen in the UK as many of the breeders are no longer breeding or have passed away and not many new people have gone in to the breed:(

• @Terry:

Buhunds, I think, are in the process of AKC eligibility, which may help them!

Terry

Dude, the very last line of the news article: In January of this year the Norwegian Buhund was finally recognized as a breed by the American Kennel Club.

lol, helps to read before commenting. 😉

But yeah, I do hope it helps. Would be a shame that a breed dies out this day and age just because it's not as popular.

• Yeah, they've had full acceptance this year. Very interesting breed, I've been learning quite a bit about them. There's actually a bunch in MI. I've never interacted with them, but they have been at some of the local shows. And I was going to set up an appointment last year to meet the breeder with a terrier friend, but we never got around to it. I suppose one of these days I should go check them out.

I don't ever expect to have one, but just a neat breed none the less.

• I know someone with a lundhund and who is trying to breed. She shows him in the UKC shows. The lundhund actually doesn't get along well with many dogs, it has to be the alpha in all situations, which doesn't work.

• It is so sad that these dogs are endangered, ofcourse a lot more dogs are in fact, like the portugese podengo grande, but I dont think it is a good idea to try to get these dogs popular by getting celebrities to buy them….. everybody knows what happens with breeds that have become populair because of celebs owning them or playing in movies...... 😞

by the way did you know that Frasier has or used to have a b/w basenji? 🙂

• @ibi_n_sane:

I
    by the way did you know that Frasier has or used to have a b/w basenji? 🙂

Do you mean Kelsey Grammer, or Frasier? Can't remember seeing a Basenji in that TV show.

• yes I mean Kelsey Grammer 😉 I didnt know his real name 🙂

Suggested Topics