• Ok, still having problems. Cody is still not eating. after getting anti-nausea medication, antibodics and I just started him on Pepcid today. He is still throwing up yellow bile. He is drinking water. I have tried everything. The food the vet sold me (can food) cheese, yogert, peanut butter. Any ideas. He won't even lick food. I have already decided if he's not eating by monday he's going back to the vet. Does anyone else have ideas for food to try to entice him. He basically has a bad case of food poison.

• Houston

Poor Cody. I can not believe he is still not eating..
    Have you tried any soup? My dogs love broth and soupy stuff in general, and chicken noodle soup in particular..I know it is high sodium but just to entice him, why not? Hot dogs, lunch meat…I'd try anything I have in my fridge/pantry. At this point I would be desperate. How long has it been since he ate last? With no food in their stomachs quite a few B's vomite bile/yellow foamy stuff..they don't handle an empty stomach very well..

• Our vet had us give Jaycee Mylanta 1/2 teaspoon every 4 to 6 hours when she got sick. I would boil some chicken in chicken broth. Tear up only chicken no skin into little little bites. See if little one will look at that also whats good is baby diet for when they are throwing up or other end. Rice,Dry Toast,Bananas. I would use baby food Bananas maybe just maybe Cody will lick those up. Good luck let us know.

Rita Jean

• Thanks for the suggestions. Normally cody loves bananas, so I will see if I can get some baby food bananas. My vet told me in no uncertain terms NO HOT DOGS. I have boneless skinless chicken breast I can cook in broth and make bite size. I also have some cream of chicken soup that I can thin out.

• Have you tried some ground chicken or turkey, boiled in water? Pour off the water/fat mix with rice (white is easier to digest). The main thing is to limit the fat and let the "gut" settle down… feed small amounts... 3 or 4 times a day...

• Houston

I know when I was a child my mother just to give our Westie, white rice and plain boiled white fish(any type, but she used cod), it is very easy to digest. So I am with Tanza on the plain chicken and rice as well as any type of babyfood. I know hot dog is very greasy and not good at all for dogs, BUT if he hadn't eaten and just needs an "appiteaser" it might work. I feel for you and Cody.

• Ok, I boiled a boneless chicken breast in chicken broth. shredded the chicken fine and poured the broth over it. He drank some broth but didn't eat the chicken. Got him to go out and urinate and he came back in a drank some water. Kept the chicken/broth mixture and will try again tomorrow. I will also go out and get baby food tomorrow and try that. He seems to try everything once and then not try it again.

• Houston

I am glad to hear that at least he drank some broth. let us know how he is doing this moring. I am keeping my fingers crossed that eats some this morning

• How is Cody doing today any better? You might try pedlight not sure spelled correctly look in baby dept. Let us know hope all is better.

Rita Jean

• Sorry to hear Cody is still not well, its good that he drank some of the broth and kept it down. I was going to suggest you dab some of the food onto his paw so he would clean it off and maybe get his appetite going.
    When Benji was ill and wouldnt eat we had to do all sorts, it is so difficult and you feel helpless.

• Well I got desperate this morning and I took the shredded chicken I cooked last night and started force feeding it to Cody. I would take little pieces and pry open his mouth and force it down. Only very small pieces and a little at a time. I have been feeding him every hour to hour 1/2. The food is staying down which is a good sign. I am getting ready to leave the house to run errands. I will pick up the baby food etc. My husband is on board with force feeding if we have to get the food in him to settle his stomach.

• Houston

I 'm sorry to hear that you have had to force feed him, but if he is keeping it down great. I will keep my fingers crossed that he is taking well to the force feeding and that he is on the mend..

• How is Cody doing this afternoon? I would really go to the vet Monday. Let us know how you all are doing…

Rita Jean

• Remember too with people and food poisoning.. it take quite a while to get over it… as long as he is drinking that is the main and most important thing. And that he is keeping the water down. Don't rush the food and I know how fustrating it is wanting your dog to eat....

• Good sign Cody met me at the door when I came home from my errands. He seem much more energetic. I brough home a treat for my hubbie (he's been remodeling the bathroom) a strawberry ventician ice. Cody seemed very interested so hubbie put some in a cup and he ate it! Just a few ounces. I tried the banana baby food he seemed interested but wouldn't eat it. I forced fed him about 3/4 of a jar. He told me he was done b/c he walked away. The vomitting has all but stopped and his body language is much more relaxed b/c his tummy is not in pain. Hopefully this is a turning point and he will start eating on his own soon.

• Pat, thanks for the caution. My vet said the same thing. I am trying to go slow. Small amounts over time. it had been so long since he had any food on his tummy I know I need to go slow.

• Houston

Happy news, yeah Cody. I am very relieved to hear the he is doing better..keeping my fingers and toes crossed he will stay on the better front.

• How is Cody doing today? How all is well lets all know. Thanks

Rita Jean

• Great news, hope Cody continues to improve

• You may want to get some NutriCal. It is a high calorie gel. That way he starts to get some calories in him and hopefully starts to feel better. You can get it at places like Petsmart and Petco.

And when it comes to baby foods, I would stick with the meat flavors if you really want to entice them to eat. They have the ones that are only meat and also the ones that are like chicken and sweet potato.

Suggested Topics