Wondering what the scars on my pup could be

• That is weird. Hmmm.

• Houston

Needless to say we might never find out what those marks are, BUT to me they look like they were from a rope around the mouth (to maybe punish or train Beau in some way, what weird way I have no clue) or maybe a gentle leader type harness being too small and it grew into those grooves/scars. He is beautiful regardless, but it does make you wonder, doesn't it?

• totally those explanations are all we could think of too, and the scar goes all the way around under the bottom too. It seems to be healed there isn't any redness or anything, I hope it grows some hair back but it really doesn't look like it will. I still think he is the cutest thing ever with it anyhow so if it doesnt bother him it wont bother me lol:).

• Houston

There you go..

• Yikes…that does look like a rubberband width! It is too perfect to be from a head halter rubbing, IMO. I know a dog that had a mark similar to that on his leg because some strings from a towel or blanket got wrapped around his leg as a puppy...and the scar stayed...but I don't know how that would happen around a muzzle and the dog would still be alive????

He is adorable..thanks for sharing pics of him.

• Awwww, he is adorable. This scar makes me sad, and angry that someone did that to him! But it is in his past and he has a better life with a loving family now…

• I thought the same thing immediately when I saw the scar, Andrea-a rubber band. Nice boy anyway, and hopefully no bad behaviour will come up in the future. There is usually a 'honeymoon' period in the beginning of getting a new dog.

• My lovely Beau has developed a naughty habit… I came home from a festival and apparently he destroyed my blinds trying to follow me, then he opened a sentry bag that was on the dinner table and pulled out a brand new loaf of bread and he and our gorden setter, Walker, ate the whole loaf. Also when I leave him he leaves bowels in my daughters bedroom floor. How can we only have had the little guy about 2 weeks now and he already has seperation anxiety? Is it because I'm a stay at home mom and dont get out much? He watches me like a hawk and has to be where I am. If my fiance' is home he is a good boy but he paces and will just sit in the window waiting for me to return. I think he might be scaired of the dark too. Can dogs be scaired of the dark?

• Houston

It is fairly common for B's to have separation issues. We crate our Otis so he won't tear things up. If I leave for very short times, like 30 mins, he is fine, so long as I leave him and our other 2 non-B's in one room or so, the only think Otis has gotten into when left like that is toilet paper, he has even opened the eyes on our Schnorkie…she does it more than him now...Maybe you should haev your fiance feed him every so often, so food comes from several different hands, so to speak. It might help in him not pacing when you are gone but he is still there. Other things to try is to leave something that smells like you, an old t-shirt you slept in, or a people blanket he is allowed to have. I have used a spray for dogs with D.A.P in it, while we travel, and it calms them down as well. You might want to search the forum for DAP, there is another post n here, with a B who had severe issues and wityhin days of using it, he calmed down. Just a thought..

• @jinxed_1980:

My lovely Beau has developed a naughty habit… I came home from a festival and apparently he destroyed my blinds trying to follow me, then he opened a sentry bag that was on the dinner table and pulled out a brand new loaf of bread and he and our gorden setter, Walker, ate the whole loaf. Also when I leave him he leaves bowels in my daughters bedroom floor. How can we only have had the little guy about 2 weeks now and he already has seperation anxiety? Is it because I'm a stay at home mom and dont get out much? He watches me like a hawk and has to be where I am. If my fiance' is home he is a good boy but he paces and will just sit in the window waiting for me to return. I think he might be scaired of the dark too. Can dogs be scaired of the dark?

It is not at all uncommon for rescued/adopted dogs to develop separation anxiety.

When I adopted Ruby (as a 2yo retired show dog - never been an only dog), she bonded so strongly within a week that she wouldn't let me take a shower with the curtain closed…had to always see me and would follow me wherever I would go. She had to be crated for her own safety whenever I would leave the house...she would be frantic if she actually saw me walk out the door...once I was gone about 15 minutes, she could be let out of her crate, but she would still search for me for a while or if she heard any noise at all. Luckily, she was crate trained...but I also made her crate a super happy place, special treats (marrow bones, liver, kongs, etc.) so that she wouldn't watch me leave. One thing we also did was have my brother feed her and walk her...so that she would develop a stronger bond with him and less dependence on me.

Ultimately though, her real end to her separation anxiety came when we added Brando (another retired show dog - 1 mo. difference in age). So you can do what I've been doing...add a basenji a year (I'm up to 3) :D:D:D...that should do it. Oh, right, you have other dogs already! :D:D

Oh, and regarding being scared of the dark...yes, Ruby was afraid of the dark at first...wouldn't go pee or poop at night...would hold it until daylight. We put lanterns outdoors at the edge of the dog pen so that she could see what was on the perimeter of the property, pointed the outdoor flood lights into the dog pen...and would also walk her in the dark. Eventually, she was fine without the added light.

Suggested Topics