• Jason, I didn't get any photos with this post, but maybe its just my computer?

• No Sharon its not your computer. Its just been so long since I have posted an image in the forum I have forgotten how. I am working on it and will have it corrected soon.

Jason

• The second one comes up. It is really cool!

• Great shot!

• Great shot! I'm always hoping for a flying shot when photographers come to field trials.

• I have gotten a little rusty since I stopped shooting sports a couple of years back but I am sure it will come back very quickly. I am looking through some other shots I took today for a side shot so I can post that as well.

• It really is a cool photo!
    Thanks so much for sharing.

• Cool!!! 🆒

• Very nice shot of a very good looking basenji!

• Great shots….. what fun

• Such happy expressions on their faces.
    Thanks for sharing.

• He sure does fly! Great shots.

• I love all the photos at your webpage. A basenji running alone or with other dogs is a beautiful sight.

Swimming? Swimming!!! Swimming@#!*&. This may already have been a topic of discussion, but I couldn't find the thread.

How did you do that? Does Roo like/love/tolerate that?

Our two guys hated the rain, as any sensible B. would. When we would be swimming in the pool our pups would pace back and forth worried that we were drowning, or at least not understanding why we would be in the HATED water. They would never jump in to save us (no big surprise there), and if one just happened to fall in it was panic time.

Anyways, we'd like to train our new guy to be more comfortable around the pool.

How did you do that? I'm awed/amazed/perplexed.

Tom

• @proteinman:

I love all the photos at your webpage. A basenji running alone or with other dogs is a beautiful sight.

Swimming? Swimming!!! Swimming@#!*&. This may already have been a topic of discussion, but I couldn't find the thread.

How did you do that? Does Roo like/love/tolerate that?

I would not say he loves it but he does tolerate it. The more I take him in the more relaxed he does get.

Our two guys hated the rain, as any sensible B. would.

We have been walking Roo in the rain since he was a puppy. Of course he does not like the rain but has learned that we are going to walk whether its raining or not. This certainly helps with taking him outside to potty.

When we would be swimming in the pool our pups would pace back and forth worried that we were drowning, or at least not understanding why we would be in the HATED water. They would never jump in to save us (no big surprise there), and if one just happened to fall in it was panic time.

Anyways, we'd like to train our new guy to be more comfortable around the pool.

How did you do that? I'm awed/amazed/perplexed.

Tom

Tom the best thing you can do with your Basenji or Basenji's is to first put a life jacket on them. When we got Roo he was only 4 1/2 lbs. After he had been with us about a month we gave him his first bath and then added to the water in the tub to see how he would react. Our next step was to buy him a life jacket and a 20 foot lead and take him to the lake to our Sailing club harbor. It had been a pretty hot day and I had already walked him 3 miles. I went into the water to about waist level, carried Roo in and let him swim out. I repeated this several times and then got out with him and dried him with a towel, walked him, treated him, and then took him home. The next time we went was about a week later. Miranda came with us and was on the dock. Roo and I kept going in and out of the water to about waist level. Roo would swim to me and I would hold him for a few mins and then I would let him go. Finally when I was able to let him go and instead of swiming to the shore, he would swim to Miranda when she called him. Of course we repeated this exercise several times until Roo was more comfortable with it. All this work was in preparation for us to take Roo on our Sailboat with us. I wanted to be sure that he could swim just in case we capsized our boat. As it turns out Roo is pretty fearless on our sailboat when we are heeling our boat to go faster. Of course we will continue to make sure Roo continues to be comfortable in the water. All of this was necessary to help him learn not to panic. I sincerely believe that Basenji's have the ability to swim but its just not something they prefer to do unless they can get adjusted and conditioned to it. In my personal view, this is just a continuation of training like teaching a dog to come, sit, stay, or laydown.

ComicDom1
    Jason

• Jonny b and i got caught in a DOWNPOUR yesterday. He LOVED it. He wanted to run and play tag. My friend was walking her dog too. They got quite a big laugh at Jonny running like a torpedo having so much fun.
    He has been out in the rain before and got frisky and playful. He jumps and tries to catch raindrops, and snowflakes when it snows. He hits the ground running and has never hesitated to walk/run in the wet grass. What a funny guy. We have a pool and really hope he loves to swim. Summer is around the corner! (we hope. it was snowing this afternoon! and supposed to again tomorrow)

• Fabulous pictures! Please share your camera and tips for those of us aspiring action shot takers. 🙂

Love the swimming too! We are going to make our first attempts at water activities this spring/summer hopefully. lol I'm sure I'll be getting wetter than them!

• It looks like he should be wearing a superman cape! great pic

Suggested Topics