Skip to content

What breed makes a good match with the basenji?

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Is a small studio apartment good for a Basenji?

    Basenji Talk
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    5k Views
    eeeefarmE
    @donc said in Is a small studio apartment good for a Basenji?: I'm going in the opposite direction and saying I don't think the size of the house or apartment matters. I agree. The space available isn't the issue, as you say, it is the problem of being left alone. That said, there are some unique problems with an apartment as opposed to a house. An unhappy dog won't be popular with your neighbours if it is screaming half the day. Bad enough in a detached house with some property around it, intolerable with close apartment neighbours with shared walls. Add to that the likelihood that the dog may hear noises from bordering apartments or the hallway that will set it off. As I said, for company a cat would be a far better option. @mister-science, some people use treadmills with their dogs, which can be a good option if the desire is just to give them physical exertion, but won't solve their needs to get out and see and smell and explore.
  • -1 Votes
    9 Posts
    11k Views
    K
    Gorgeous boy!! Definite Basenji ears :)
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Basenji Breeding

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    4k Views
    tanzaT
    @Andrew: Thank you…. I think I have officially gone Basenji crazy. My boyfriend teases me because I have taken over "his" dog, "his" username, and "his" love & gone two steps farther. He wanted a basenji because he had a mix growing up, and I was very leary. But now I have fallen head over heels in love with our dog... I plan my day around trips to the park, budget money just to buy him treats & toys, think of silly games to play with him to make him happy, etc. Thank you for the resources! I'm tired of all the same old reading about Basenjis on the internet (the Basenji is a barkless dog... always alert... blah blah blah). Now I want to REALLY learn about them. And there are many of us here that will be happy to answer questions for your too!
  • Basenji Traits Your Basenji Doesn't Have…

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    34k Views
    M
    My Rue is pretty perfect. She is mixed with something (I don't know what) so she doesn't look like a real B… and she isn't interested in anything in our house (chewing wise), doesn't bolt out the door, and licks like CRAZY! She also doesn't really like to play with other dogs at the dog park, she just smells them, occasionally chases them, then comes back and lays down by me (EXERCISE DANG IT!). The only normal B behaviors that I see in her are the little noises that she makes (she makes a lot of them for different reasons) and her BAROOOOOOO (which is fitting because we named her Rue before we even knew she was a Basenji) and it seems like she is stubborn about sitting. It's like she is saying, "yeah I know you want me to sit, but first I'm gonna spin around in a circle. Then maybe I'll sit if I feel like it." Haha! She is a character!