New Parents of Our First Basenji

• Hi everyone,

We are very excited to be able to officially be members of the forum with our very own tri-colored basenji girl. We rescued Kona on Saturday from the Humane Society and she is sweet as can be. However she is definitely demonstrating her basenji traits already. They told us she is 8 months old, but we think she is closer to one year. She also appears to be housebroken, but we are keeping a watchful eye. She already has me wrapped around her little paw.

She is not eating too much right now, but also has an upset tummy so we are hoping that clears as she gets settled. Thanks to the advice here we bought her some Merricks and she has eaten some, but not a full serving yet. She is sleeping a lot, but playing too and she enjoys her walks.

The other thing to note is they told us that she is hearing impaired, but we think she just has selective hearing but will talk to the vet this week about it.

Anyway, I am sure we will have lots of stories to share over the years and look forward to meeting other basenji parents both online and in the Tampa area.
    attachment_t_4836_0_kona.jpg

• Congrat and welcome… She looks a bit like a Trindle (carrying the Brindle and Tri color pattern) then a Tri with what looks to be strips on her face... but a cutie regardless....

As far as eating, she will need some time to adjust, just give her a week or two and see if the upset tummy resolves itself...

You might want to read the links on Fanconi health testing and it would be a good idea to 1. print off Fanconi Protocol for her file at the Vets office in case he/she is not up to speed on this and 2. consider doing the DNA test to determine her DNA for getting Fanconi. There is a cheek swab test (cost is 65.00) and here is a link that you can learn about it. www.basenjihealth.org

Again welcome and thank you for opening your home to a Basenji in need, oh and as far as hearing impaired? Do you notice if her ears flick towards a sound, like calling her or if there is a loud noise? If the ears are reacting.. then could certainly be "select" hearing….

• She is a pretty girl and her face definitely radiates that well known "What's in it for me?" look!!

Pat

• B's can learn hand signals even if the hearing is ok…Folks who do obedience teach the dogs hand signals...
    Have you tried to test the hearing when the dog is sleeping...claping hands over the dog, or hitting a pan?

Anyway, you have lots of help with the folks on this forum.
    Welcome.

• Hi Tanza - I had not heard of the term "Trindle" but I would say that definitely describes her. She has the brindle on her back legs as well her face. Also, yes her ears do flick and she does react to both low and high-pitched noises but doesn't jump at loud sounds.

Also, thank you for the information about Fanconi testing. It is something I am nervous about but know we will deal with if we need to. I was prepared to mention it to her vet, but printing off the protocol is an excellent idea.

Thanks!

• @Kona:

Hi Tanza - I had not heard of the term "Trindle" but I would say that definitely describes her. She has the brindle on her back legs as well her face. Also, yes her ears do flick and she does react to both low and high-pitched noises but doesn't jump at loud sounds.

Also, thank you for the information about Fanconi testing. It is something I am nervous about but know we will deal with if we need to. I was prepared to mention it to her vet, but printing off the protocol is an excellent idea.

Thanks!

Your very welcome and again welcome to the list…. Sounds to me like she might have selective hearing...ggg... very normal for our breed...

And many mix up Tri and Trindle... with the brindle on her back legs for sure she is a Trindle in color... (again, not that it make any difference)..... Looking forward to more pictures! Sounds like she is a typical Basenji to me!

• That picture is soooooooo cute! It makes me giggle! Congrats!

• Yeah!! I love rescues!! Miles was a pound puppy!! 🙂

• Hi Kona, we are in the Tampa area too! Did you get her from our Humane Society? Hooray for you! She is a very pretty girl, and lucky to find you. We have a group that gets together on Sundays at a Tampa dog park, would love to have you join us.

Anne

• Sounds like you might have a nice group of new friends already.
    Way to go!

• Welcom at this forum!!

I love the pics… she's cute...

• Hi Anne,

Yes, we got her from the Humane Society at the Pet Expo at the Fairgrounds on Saturday. She did really well with the other dogs so I think she would really enjoy spending time with other pups at the park and we would love to meet other basenji parents in the area.

She is full of life this morning and let's just say testing her boundaries! She responds well to "no" though and the distraction of a toy.

We are glad to see she has caught up on her rest and is starting to show her true personality.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

• Welcome to the forum! Kona looks very cute! Please share your stories and pictures!

• I look forward to meeting you and Kona. Our little group has several tris, 2 black & whites, some reds, one brindle, so we will have a trindle now too!

Anne

• Not sure where I should post this, but I was wondering about a behavior our sweet girl is exhibiting. When we hold her and she likes to nuzzle/hide her face either under our arms in under her paws when she is curled up. We think it is adorable, but are wondering if it means something. She usually falls asleep while "hiding" but doesn't do it every time she goes to sleep maily just when we are holding her. Any ideas?

Oh and one more thing…she is not hearing impaired. She hears her toys and her name just fine...when she wants to...if she doesn't want to "hear" you, she ignores you completely!!

• Normal. Many basenjis tuck their noses under their paws, or into their belly, or under your arm when they sleep. I think it means she is trusting you and feels safe with you.

We had 9 basenjis at the park last Sunday, but it sure was chilly when the wind was blowing! What part of Tampa do you live? there may be a good park close to you.

Anne

• Anne,

Thanks for that info. She and I have bonded for sure since I work at home and spend all day with her. Glad to see it is a sign of trust.

Our Kona does not like getting cold as she has shown us these past few days. We are in Wesley Chapel and I have been looking up dog parks, but there doesn't seem to many close by. We also have to wait a couple weeks while we make sure she is caught up on all shots before we bring her to meet any other pups. But once she gets the all clear we would love to come meet everyone.

Please let me know if you know of anywhere in Wesley Chapel/New Tampa. She loves being outside as long as her bottom doesn't touch the cold ground 🙂

Lisa

• I agree she should be up to date on shots and have a little time to bond with you as well. The park we go to is about 3 miles from the Stadium, a bit west and off Hillsborough Avenue. It is called West Park and is a county park. 6 acres with trees for shade, very nice. Probably about 30 miles for you each way, maybe a little more. I don't know of any parks up that way, we live near downtown.

Anne

• She is such a baroootiful girl!!! I am glad she has found a nice family to call her own.

• I always put a blanket over my b's when they are sleeping.
    They get to where they expect it!

Suggested Topics