• Our 7 year old male has recently been diagnosed with Fanconi and placed on the Gonto protocol. I realize that the protocol does not work for all dogs but what can we expect? If we can get his chemistry balanced will the excesssive urination stop or at least slow down? He seems to be feeling ok, but has to go out about every 90 minutes or so.
    Does any one have experience with dogs on the protocol? what can we expect or what else can we do ?
    Kathy

• My best thoughts to you and your boy. It is overwhelming at first, but the protocol does work. It may not help with the frequent urination, but he will shortly begin to feel so much better. I'm currently on my 4th Fanconi dog - my experiences have been varied; each one is a little different.
    There is a group for owners of Fanconi dogs and it is an absolute godsend. I will e-mail you privately to give you info on how to join.

Terry

• @Terry:

My best thoughts to you and your boy. It is overwhelming at first, but the protocol does work. It may not help with the frequent urination, but he will shortly begin to feel so much better. I'm currently on my 4th Fanconi dog - my experiences have been varied; each one is a little different.
    There is a group for owners of Fanconi dogs and it is an absolute godsend. I will e-mail you privately to give you info on how to join.

Terry

Terry,
    Is it possible you could give the link to Basenji Forums to the Fanconi dog owners group. In the past I have read posts where people had dogs w/ Fanconi in this forum. Im glad there is a support group for this! There are a lot of people (including myself) who do not know much about this awful disease.

• Hi Terry,

Thank you for sharing the information about Fanconi group with a member of our forums. We appreciate you following Basenji Forums rules and not disclosing it publicly.

As Vanessa626 mentioned, It would really be great if members of the fanconi group could join our forum and from time to time help with any questions about the disease in a public forum.

I am sure a lot of current members here would appreciate that.

• Admin? Where can I find the rules…I was looking, and can't locate them.

Thanks!

• The Forum rules is in Forum Help and Information

• Thanks Lisa 🙂

I was looking for some clarification about what content is okay to put in a post. I have linked websites before, and I was wondering if that was against the rules. As far as I can tell, it isn't, as long as it isn't self promoting.

Admin: so, posting how to find the fanconi list serve would be violating the rules? I am a little confused as to why…

Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. As long as people who come here who have a newly diagnosed Fanconi dog can get into contact with people that can help them. That is my main concern.

• Hi Andrea,

Thank you for being part of Basenji Forums community. Just want to clarify that it is not against the rules make forum posts with Basenji breed informational links helpfull to other members, but it is against the rules to do the following:

1. Post links to promote your own commercial web pages or pages from businesses which you are affiliated with (including affiliate links).

2. Post your own or others personal contact information such as emails and phone numbers as there are security issues, privacy issues and spam issues all related to the posting of email addresses and phone numbers.

Forum Rules: Read Before Posting

• I will go to the Fanconi Group and suggest that interested members join here; I think that's a valid way to do this!
    The group is fabulous; they are so supportive and understanding. Fanconi is extremely scary - we've all been conditioned to think it's an immediate death sentence for our beloved babies - but the protocol has been a miracle. There are Basenjis that have lived with Fanconi until they were 15 or 16 years old - and done lure coursing!

Terry

• hello my girl has been not feeling to well and we have been to the vet off and on for over 6 mo.it started for bed wetting .then new blood work was done 3 weeks ago and then it clicked fanconi i had been checking her with dip sticks and all had been negative . to make a long story short today i went to buy new strips thinking the others were bad the store gave me keto sticks i told them i needed glucose ones i come home and i had been using the wrong sticks for the last 6 mo.!!
    she is spilling sugar purple . i told the vet 2 weeks ago he did not think it was a big worry . so i started looking on line . i have another vet visit in wed. if he will not be helpful i will need to find a vet in the so .ca. some where around 100 miles or so who is good at treating basenjis. I live in Ramona Ca. I will drive as far as i need to fr a vet who will help her .
    any info on a great vet would be appreciated.
    sorry if so jumbled and rambling i just feel so bad for my little dog .

• You should send a Private Message to Terry. She lives in So Cal and may have a vet recommendation and can give you information for joining the Fanconi Dogs list.

For your next vet appointment make sure to bring a copy of the Fanconi Protocol. It can be printed at
    http://www.basenji.org/old/fanconiprotocol2003.pdf

• thankyou for the info and the link

• @admin:

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for being part of Basenji Forums community. Just want to clarify that it is not against the rules make forum posts with Basenji breed informational links helpfull to other members, but it is against the rules to do the following:

1. Post links to promote your own commercial web pages or pages from businesses which you are affiliated with (including affiliate links).

2. Post your own or others personal contact information such as emails and phone numbers as there are security issues, privacy issues and spam issues all related to the posting of email addresses and phone numbers.

Forum Rules: Read Before Posting

I still don't get it - why would posting the link to the Basenji support group be in violation of either of these? It is not a commercial web page, it is not a business, and it's not personal contact informatio such as email addresses and phone numbers.

Seems like posting the Fanconi support link would be a permitted activity.

• Hi Itzyu,

Welcome to Basenji Forums! We are glad to have part of this community. If you follow this thread you will see that it's not against forum rules to post links to Basenji related websites. We only discourage members from posting personal/private contact information and links to promote any kind of business activity.

The original poster of this thread was referring to a private email address for fanconi support group (not a link, as they do not have a website) which they did not want to disclose publicly on the forums due to privacy concerns.

Hope this clears things up

• @Terry:

My best thoughts to you and your boy. It is overwhelming at first, but the protocol does work. It may not help with the frequent urination, but he will shortly begin to feel so much better. I'm currently on my 4th Fanconi dog - my experiences have been varied; each one is a little different.

Terry

Hi Terry

Will you share that info with me. I've been through Fanconi once and fear I may be facing it again. Thanks
    Gay F.

• I can really recommend this List because I was inn for lot´s of years and the lovely people give me support and love when I was so very sad.

Hugs from me to you.

• Does anyone have more information on Fanconi Syndrome? For the past two years we've been trying to figure out what is wrong with our dog. We first noticed a little over two years ago that he was consuming a lot more water than normal and, if given the option, would pee every hour. His amount of urine increased with his water intake. As this started over a particularly hot summer, our vet said not to worry. But the increased water consumption never decreased. Our vet did a complete blood workup and checked for kidney/renal failure along with a variety of other urinary issues in an attempt to determine what is wrong. I happend upon the syndrome the other week and it sounds like my dog! We have a vet appointment shortly and we are bringing along all the information I've found so far on the syndrome with me to discuss and hopefully confirm my suspicion. While I definately don't want my dog to have this syndrome, I'd rather know what I'm fighting as opposed to not knowing and watching him suffer.

Does anyone have more information on it or information on what a dog is like once on the treatment program? Please help. I feel horrible for my dog! Help!

• For information on how to treat Fanconi you can find the most current copy of the protocol at http://www.basenji.org/old/fanconiprotocol2003.pdf

If you have not had your dog's urine checked for glucose you can buy diastix urine testing strips at a drug store and check. Here is an explanation of how it is done, http://www.barkless.com/guide/strip.htm

If your dog has Fanconi it will need to have blood gases run so you will need to make sure your vet can do that or knows where it can be done.

• Also, if your Vet is not familiar with Fanconi… Dr Gonto is more then happy to discuss it with him/her. And be prepared that sometimes you have to push your Vet to understand that this is a genetic Basenji problem... However that said... if this has been going on for 2 yrs, could be something else... usually they fail pretty quick without the protocol... If you get the test strips, you will have even more information for the Vet....And you should as should every Basenji owner be strip testing every month....
    Good luck and lets us all know...

• His vet appointment is in three weeks and I'm taking the AVA information on Fanconi syndrome with me. We've been very lucky with Rocky. He was a rescue and has become the best family dog. I know the breed is not known for being good with kids but he is so incredibly patient with my two children (3 and 6 months). He even helped teach my eldest to walk by leting her hold onto his shoulders while she toddled along.

I'll keep you guys posted and let you know what's up. We've had him tested for kidney, liver, and renal failure in the past as well as chronic UTI and blood-bourne illness. Nothing… "perfectly healthy dog". We'll keep looking until we figure out what's wrong.

Thanks for all the info!

Suggested Topics