• First Basenji's

@agilebasenji:

Syber-

Did you decide to go with a raw diet? Was just wondering what you decided to feed Haylie. I was also going to say that I'd be hesitant to start a dog on raw if she had some health problems or a compromised immune system. However, I will say that I do not feed raw to my dogs, so I may be biased. I do know many people who feed raw and their dogs do great on it. I think in Haylie's case, if you want to try raw, I'd start with cooked and get her healthy first.

I feed my dogs Evo or Evo/Canidae, but would NOT NOT NOT suggest Evo for a dog with Haylie's health problems.

Anyway, sounds like she's on the upswing and that's great news.

I'd started researching the raw diet thing just before all this Fanconi stuff hit….....I'd fed the kidz one or two meals raw when we got the diagnosis. So, I stopped the raw thing and Haley went on a Rx renal food.....but, I stopped feeding the Rx food a couple days into the Fanconi Protocol because her skin got VERY pink! The vet thought she may be allergic to the Rx food, but I think she was getting WAY too much of one or more vitamins because the food has a lot in it and so does the protocol..............so, now I cook healthy whole foods for both of the kidz with a little high-end kibble mixed in. I got some sample packs of dry food from a local store called "Bark Avenue". Both dogs seem to be loving the new meals. I've been feeding them a small a.m. meal and a larger p.m. meal. I went to two meals a day so that Haley would have food in her tummy when I give her the twice a day tons of pills. Couldn't NOT feed Prince if I was feeding Haley, so he gets a little breakfast, too! He's overweight.....she's underweight.......good grief! It's going to take me awhile to figure all this out!

• Glad to hear Haleys doing ok, thanks for the update

• Sadie,

Join the fanconi group that Pat recommended. It is amazing! They support you from beginning to the end. My experience with the group has been benefical for both me and my basenji. Keep us posted and hugs to Haley

• First Basenji's

Hello everyone out there in Basenji Forum Land!

Thank you all so much for all of your advice. I have joined the Yahoo Fanconi group and have already learned from reading some of the posts….....AND I have contacted Dr. Gonto and had all of my questions answered. He's actually a pretty funny guy! I've really enjoyed my email conversations with him! He corrected me on the amount of bicarbonates and vitamins I was giving Haley and also suggested the cranberry tablets as one of you suggested. Actually, had I not been corrected by Dr. Gonto, I would have harmed her by continuing the toxic level of vitamins I was giving her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not kidding!!!!!!!!!! So, thank you all for encouraging me to contact him! :eek:

Haley has now been on the protocol and antibiotics for 3 weeks. The first change I noticed was her fur. Her coat is so much softer now! Then just yesterday I noticed that she's finally starting to have a much bigger appetite. I've never known her to be a big eater.....but, then I've probably never known her when she's not been showing signs of Fanconi (since I think she's gone undiagnosed or misdiagnosed for at least 2 years). She seems to be playing with her toys more and acting younger, too. She's also been antagonizing Prince (the new BRAT rescue) a lot..........which is a good thing - unless you're Prince!! 😃

We went through a rough patch with all the pilling, but I think we've worked out the bugs. I'm using some of the suggestions I've gotten on this forum and the Yahoo Fanconi Group. What a great support system Haley and I have!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours!! 🙂

• Houston

Sadie..
    I am so glad to hear an update on Haley, I was thinking of her the other day(I guess I should've asked, but you beat me to it..). Sounds like things are going very well..keep us posted..

• Thank you for update on Haley best news of the day. Sounds like all is great and doing better every day. Thank you for caring and reading looking until you found what would help Haley and for not giving up your super. Merry Christmas and Best for Happy New Year.

Rita Jean

• That is great to hear….. and you would want to see if your Vet would get in contact with Dr. Gonto, so that he/she understands how the protocol works.

• First Basenji's

@tanza:

That is great to hear….. and you would want to see if your Vet would get in contact with Dr. Gonto, so that he/she understands how the protocol works.

True! Thanks for the reminder, Pat. I hadn't thought about it! :o

• Thanks for the update Sadie, i'm glad things are going well for Sadie

• hi there sorry to hear this but , im going through the same thing right now but my boy hasnt started showing signs yet but he tested carrier/affected, but DR.GONTO WILL TAKE THE TIME TO TALK TO YOU AND THE VETS HE IS A REAL HERO ! I HAVE TALKED TO HIM A FEW TIMES. I'M GOING TO BE EMAILING HIM THIS WEEK WITH MY BOYS VEROUS BLOOD GASSES WORK RESAULTS TO SEE WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE ON HIS FOOD OR MEDICATIONS IF ANY YET!!. AS IM KEEPING MY FINGURS CROSSED! MY BOY'S 3 NOW AND I GOT HIM TEST THANKS TO TANZA AND IVOSS THERE THE ONES THAT HAVE HELPED ME OUT OH, WAIT SHARRONHULSBUT TOO!. THERE GREAT TO TALK TOO AND GET ADVISE FROM. AGAIN SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR BABY BASENJI, AND GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING.!

Suggested Topics