• What kind of chew can I give my dogs that can be used everyday or every other day? I am looking for something that is highly digestible and will last more than 10 minutes.. any ideas?

• I got Medjai the largest rawhide that could fit in his mouth. He loved it to death, and it took almost 3 months to eat. I would recommend only giving it to them for a couple hours a day, as too much can ad to diarrhea.

• Tosca loves rawhides too, but just be careful, the pieces can break off and they swallow them and choke. when we first got Tosca I had no idea about that, we used to leave them in the crate with her when we went to work (I know, totally dumb). Then one day in the pet store one of the workers told me about rawhide dangers. Sure enough, a few days later she did choke on a piece, luckily my husband was just able to pull it out of her throat, but it was scary. Now I make sure to take it away immediately if she pulls a bite-sized chunk off. She hates it, but I just trade her with a treat and she drops it with no problem. And of course, now I would never leave her with them unattended. If used carefully, however, they are a great resource for keeping them out of trouble.
    I also like to use the red, circular Kong with the grooves and hole in the middle. Cheese-its fit perfectly in there, so I fill it up and it takes her awhile to get them out…we do that each day while we are eating our supper so she doesn't sit and beg at us!

• I use rawhides also, and beef tendons that I seem to be only able to find at my vet's. Also, cow knee caps – but those can get messy, as little bits of the meaty stuff left on them gets on the floor, and hollow bones {you can get at PetCo, etc}, stuffed with peanut butter or cheese {I don't buy the pre-stuffed ones; I buy the hollow ones}

• Large bully sticks last several days for mine. I buy 12 inch lengths and take away the last 2 or 3 inches so they don't try and swallow them! I buy in bulk on-line and get ones that are "free range and no chemicals" but have to spend $120 at a time. Seems like a lot but lasts well over 6 months, for 3 dogs, so not too bad. They gnaw on the ends, and chunks don't break off. Tiny ones don't last as long so I get large ones. If you don't know what they are, don't ask!!! hahaha

Anne

• @MacPack:

Large bully sticks last several days for mine. I buy 12 inch lengths and take away the last 2 or 3 inches so they don't try and swallow them! I buy in bulk on-line and get ones that are "free range and no chemicals" but have to spend $120 at a time. Seems like a lot but lasts well over 6 months, for 3 dogs, so not too bad. They gnaw on the ends, and chunks don't break off. Tiny ones don't last as long so I get large ones. If you don't know what they are, don't ask!!! hahaha

Anne

I agree with the Bully Sticks…they are the only chews that last for any length of time (usually a a few days on the 9 or 12 inch ones). I tried the free range ones on Ruby and she turned up her nose at them so I ended up giving them away to a friend. I would have loved it if they worked for her. She loves the Red Barn ones and as far as smell they aren't as bad as some of the others I've seen. They have organic ones at the pet store I go to (Planet Dog), but they are strange because they leave all sorts of crumbs so I only use those outside.

• On a related subject– nylabones seem good when supervised, but I find only the very hard ones aren't quickly broken up-- luckily I can take them away easily. The vet noted that Sol's teeth were rather worn for his age (6) so I don't want to give him chews that will cause too much more wear.. what is the consensus on basenji's and nylabones?

Kris

• I buy the twisted bully sticks as they tend to take longer for him to eat than the straight ones. The one he has now has lasted nearly 2 weeks & for only paying $4 I think it's well worth it!

I also got Dallas the durable nylabones beef flavored. He likes them as well 🙂

• I've given EL D the pizzle sticks instead of the bully sticks (only when I'm around to supervise), kong toys stuffed with biscuits, or specialty dog biscuits (like Sr. Joan's peanut butter; or Merricks mint; etc.). I've never had good luck with rawhide either with EL D or my previous basenji - pieces break off and have gotten "stuck" in the guts. I try to stick with biscuit type treats for the teeth rather than soft treats.

• @wizard:

I've given EL D the pizzle sticks instead of the bully sticks (only when I'm around to supervise)…

What's the difference between a pizzle stick and a bully stick? Aren't they both cuts of the same bull [organ]? I guess I've always thought they were the same thing.

Magnum loves his bully sticks. They keep him chewing for hours!

• I have not yet broken down and bought the bully sticks, but after hearing all the praise for them I might try them. Just a few questions…first, how bad do they smell? Do I need to worry about them smelling up the whole room or Tosca chewing them on our white living room carpet? Do they stain? Also, do you have to worry about them choking on them like you do the rawhide? I woudl obvisouly take them away when they get small, but do you have to worry about them breaking little pieces off?

• @Jylly18:

I have not yet broken down and bought the bully sticks, but after hearing all the praise for them I might try them. Just a few questions…first, how bad do they smell? Do I need to worry about them smelling up the whole room or Tosca chewing them on our white living room carpet? Do they stain? Also, do you have to worry about them choking on them like you do the rawhide? I woudl obvisouly take them away when they get small, but do you have to worry about them breaking little pieces off?

I don't find that they smell much at all.. and less then a "well" chewed rawhide. They do not break into small pieces that I have found.. and they don't stain any more then a rawhide might… there is no dye in them, they are all natural...

• I agree with Pat…I don't find that the Red Barn ones smell much at all. There are cheaper ones that do smell horrible IMHO, but with the Red Barn ones, the only sign of the smell is usually on Ruby or Brando's breath...the room definitely doesn't smell because of the sticks. I have had no staining on my bedding, the dogs bedding or my couch from the Bully Sticks.

The organic/free range ones that MacPack talks about don't have any scent to them at all from what I can remember...I think that was why Ruby didn't like them :rolleyes: .

• @MacPack:

Large bully sticks last several days for mine. I buy 12 inch lengths and take away the last 2 or 3 inches so they don't try and swallow them! I buy in bulk on-line and get ones that are "free range and no chemicals" but have to spend $120 at a time. Seems like a lot but lasts well over 6 months, for 3 dogs, so not too bad. They gnaw on the ends, and chunks don't break off. Tiny ones don't last as long so I get large ones. If you don't know what they are, don't ask!!! hahaha

Anne

What site do you buy yours at and how bad do they smell?? I found 2 online stores that have them way cheaper (50% less) than the store I buy from, but i'm skeptical to get them from a random website..

• I buy from :

http://www.bullysticksonline.com/servlet/StoreFront

"Bullysticks on line" and they have almost no odor, don't require refrigeration.
    I have ordered from them twice, and each order lasts many, many months. It seems like a lot at one time, but I almost never have to buy them any other chews.

Anne

• Since you buy so many at a time, do they stay fresh until you get through them all?? I dont know if they can get old/stale, just wondering.. I would be willing to buy that many at a time, but only have 2 dogs and dont want them to go to waste..

I did buy some from the local store (very expensive compared to online) just to make sure the dogs liked them and they agreed with them.. and they love them! and the red barn didnt really smell at all! so thanks everyone who suggested them! I like them way better than rawhide!

• Ohhhh - My dogs would not be able to relax enough to take 'er easy on one bully stick at a time… they devour them instantly (almost) Feeding them one daily would be super spoiling them (I don't). I'd have to rely on that gift to benefit me, i.e. steering thier attention from family/friends. Like the same as offering my son (10 yr old) a chocolate milk shake. mmmm-good! He/they would be happy - not bored/impeded with the social activity.

Meanwhile, Duke and Daisy - have tennis balls, de-stuffed toys, nyla bones - to keep them occupied enough to argue/chew/tug with. 🙂 🙂

• @Duke:

Ohhhh - My dogs would not be able to relax enough to take 'er easy on one bully stick at a time… they devour them instantly (almost) Feeding them one daily would be super spoiling them (I don't). ...

Wow! The ones I buy are at least 1 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter and 12 inches in length. One 12-incher lasts Magnum several days of frequent gnawing. Even my Rottweiler (RIP, Brutus My Boy) couldn't get through one in a day. IMO, good, thick bullysticks are the best!

• I found some online that I like.. they are also about an inch in diameter, and 12 inches, but i cut them in half and give each dog 6 inches.. it takes them about 45 minutes to finish it.. I also got the braided ones, 3 braided together.. i havent tried those yet but i'm sure they will last longer..

overall, bully sticks are a great chew and I'm happy people suggested them! my dogs go crazy for them! when i brought the box in from UPS and put it in the closet, Diego was walking around the room with his noise in the air sniffing, until he figured out where they were!

• @MacPack:

I buy from :

http://www.bullysticksonline.com/servlet/StoreFront

"Bullysticks on line" and they have almost no odor, don't require refrigeration.
    I have ordered from them twice, and each order lasts many, many months. It seems like a lot at one time, but I almost never have to buy them any other chews.

Anne

Hey MacPack…
    Something changed with the last batch of Red Barn bully sticks I bought and they smelled horrible :eek: :eek: :eek:...the whole house was stinking because of them and I bought them at 2 different stores, so I definitely needed to make a switch. Anyway, yesterday I bought a couple of the free-range ones to try again. Guess what...my "new to me" b-boy, Brando, loves the free-range odor free Bully's so now Ruby does too 😃 😃 😃 (she wants anything he likes :D). Thanks for the link, I just ordered a case...individually the jumbo thick ones are $7 a piece here...the case is quite a savings!

Suggested Topics