• I am researching foods and want one of the best foods I can get. I am looking for something low cal, senior, or just a normal food that has less than 400 calories a cup. Since meeka eats so little, I'm willing to spend a lot on the food, so I want opinions on very high quality foods.. thanks!! also, has anyone used solid gold holisitic blendz or wellness CORE??

• I use solid gold hund and flocken. I am not sure how many calories it has, but Medjai took about a week to decide he loves it, and it fits well into my storage container, because they are somewhat small, flat shaped pellets, almost like a quarter size and not too crunchy.

• I feed the Solid Gold Hund-N-Flocken also, it's got 367 calories per cup. For my guys its a great all around food. Reggie was really over weight when I started him on it and he lost the weight at at a nice gradual pace. With Tiggy its helped him keep a good weight and fill out nicely. My guys LOVE it and jump around at dinner time

Here's the SG web site http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/ it has a place where you can do a search for retailers near you

• I am a big fan of Paul Newmans' yes the actor dog food.
    They have a chicken/rice senior that is wonderful, totally organic and my dogs are doing great on it.
    They also have canned.
    Give it a try!

• @sharronhurlbut:

I am a big fan of Paul Newmans' yes the actor dog food.
    They have a chicken/rice senior that is wonderful, totally organic and my dogs are doing great on it.
    They also have canned.
    Give it a try!

I watched Paul Newman eat a can of his dog food on Jay Leno…said it was yummy. 😃

• We live in the PNW where we are one day suspose to get a major earthquake.
    I always tell my huband, when he askes why I am buying MORE Newman's dog food when we have "enough" …I tell him we can eat it if we need to, just in case the "big" one hits...
    We all know how much b's love to share their food! grin.

• I use Merrick's Grammie's Pot Pie which has 375 Cal/cup and Evo which is calorie dense at 537 Cal/cup.

• thanks everyone- i found a local store with newmans own and i am going to go see if they have samples.. and i just got samples of a bunch of solid gold, but i did not get a hund and flocken because i was unsure about the lamb.. my other dog did very poor on lamb.. anyone with info on wellness CORE??

• I use Merrick's dry and wet, the dry has a little coating so when you add alittle warm water it makes it's own gravy. Sahara loves it, and her coat is so nice and shiny, and her skin is not dry and flakey like it was at one point. I think it is one of the best, owned by a family that has been open for over 20yrs.

• I use Natural Balance Duck and Potato, since I have one with allergies…. and I have switched all of mine to this, was using Canidae Senior but didn't like the coats on my elders. All of mine are doing great on this dry... and I use some EVO 95% rabbit, duck, venison or Chicken/Turkey canned to mix. I also still do one or two days a week raw meat. Also give them veggies as treats...

I have been really happy with all of them since I went back to a regular adult food. While I used Canidae regular for years and years and really liked it, I don't care for the senior much. And I have not really found a senior that I do like...

• Try this website

www.dogfoodanalysis.com

HTH

• I've been using Innova but EL D seems to have gained weight with that (even though I use slightly less than the "inactive" dog suggested serving - EL D's not inactive at all but …).
    They have the Solid Gold varieties in my pet store so I'll try that next time.

• I just switched Dallas over to Merrick's & he LOVES it. He stopped eating his eukanuba right around the time we began switching his food from that to Merrick's. He actually started knocking over his bowl & picking out the merrick's pieces :rolleyes: That pup is too smart for his own good! I have been told he will have less dry skin but it's only been a few days on Merrick's but I'm hoping for the best 🙂 At least I know it tastes yummy.

• I feed precept plus the adult and the puppy kind both dog´s do extremely well on it I also supplement it with Salmopet oil it´s an oil made from norwegian wild salmon contains omega 3 and 6.Myran has been on this oil for 8 months during this time his coat has changed in to an amazing red colour and it glistens like the coat of a thorough breed horse and he hardly sheds at all.Both dog´s get eggyolks 3 times a week and i mix tuna or makrell into their feed not a lot just to give it some xtra yummy taste.The puppy also get´s some cottage cheese or sour cream in to her feed.

• I feed dry Innova EVO mixed with regular Innova, at a ratio of 3/4 EVO and 1/4 Innova. My dogs love it, coats are glossy, stools normal, teeth stay white (were getting yellow with another food that had small amounts of yellow dye). I tried 5 or 6 different brands of high quality food, and Innova was the one all my 3 agreed on. Then when the EVO came out, we added that as the main part of their diet.
    There are many excellent foods that are readily available via the internet, if not locally, you just need to find one that agrees with your dog and they like.

Anne in Tampa

• Its such a hard decision! I am luck to have a couple local stores that carry premium dog foods, so its hard to choose..

• @tanza:

I use Natural Balance Duck and Potato, since I have one with allergies…. and I have switched all of mine to this, was using Canidae Senior but didn't like the coats on my elders. All of mine are doing great on this dry... and I use some EVO 95% rabbit, duck, venison or Chicken/Turkey canned to mix. I also still do one or two days a week raw meat. Also give them veggies as treats...

I have been really happy with all of them since I went back to a regular adult food. While I used Canidae regular for years and years and really liked it, I don't care for the senior much. And I have not really found a senior that I do like...

this is the quote from the site
    about this food, which they recommend

The main ingredient in the food is potatoes. Potatoes are a good carbohydrate source and a very good alternative for dogs that do not tolerate grains. There is a further potato ingredient 5th on the ingredient list (potato fibre), but this is non-nutritious filler.

The second and third ingredients are both named meat products. The second of these is duck inclusive of its water content (about 80%) and once that is removed it is likely that this ingredient would be more accurately placed somewhat further down the ingredient list (ingredients are listed in order of weight). The meal version is the second ingredient in the food, so our overall assessment of the meat content is unaffected.

Canola oil is a good source of linoleic acid, and both salmon oil and flaxseed are good sources of Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids.

Overall, this looks to be a good option for allergic dogs or those who cannot tolerate grains in the diet. We are not confident that the meat content of the food is significant, however.

• I recently switched my kids to Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato formula.
    My kids LOVE it.
    Even my 11 year old picky eater gobbles it down!
    coat looks great!

• This post may be a bit late, but I am feeding my dogs Wellness Core for about four months now. I was on Innova but when I decided to switch to grain-free I went with Wellness because 1. The protien is a little lower and 2. The bag actually says free of ethoxyquin/artificial preservatives which it does not say on the Innova bag. I had actually tried out Blue Buff Wilderness first but even though I transitioned slowely it made Kiora very gassy with loose stool and vomiting, though it did not do this to my other two. I feed Blue Buffalo to my cats and have had good results from them on it. Anyways….
    I like the Core food..my puppies like the taste, and they have good energy, and small good stool, firm but not dry. Their coats are decent, Ananda's is very nice, Keokes is nice but a bit coarse on the back (Of course we have had really dry weather so that migh be part of it), and Kiora's is nice and soft but she still has a bit of dandruff from time to time(She has always had some dandruff). They get about 3/4 dry food and one 1/4 canned of : Wellness 95% Salmon, Wellness 95% Beef, W Venison, W White fish & Sweet Potatoe, W Lamb, W Duck, Blue Buff Salmon, By Nature Organic Chicken w/ carrots and peas, and By Nature Organic Turkey w/ carrots and peas. Overall I am very pleased with this food but I would like to get some of their new ocean core to combine, I think more fish will improve the dandruff. (I hope)

• We feed our dogs Naturapet Innova EVO (Small bites), its grain free as Chance is allergic to grains.

Suggested Topics