Need help, is a basenji right?

• i truly love the basenji breed and we found a breeder that is awesome, but my family is having second thoughts about a basenji.

the dog would be mine and since i am still in school i would be gone for majority of the day.

also my parents are nervous about the destruction factor, the yodeling and the many other noises the puppy will make.

we live near the desert so my mom thinks the basenji will attract coyotes or other animals.

i have tried looking at other breeds but i cant get my mind off of the basenji.

so if anyone has any advice or helpful tips that would be appreciated.

thank you!

• @bambilovee:

i truly love the basenji breed and we found a breeder that is awesome, but my family is having second thoughts about a basenji.

the dog would be mine and since i am still in school i would be gone for majority of the day.

also my parents are nervous about the destruction factor, the yodeling and the many other noises the puppy will make.

we live near the desert so my mom thinks the basenji will attract coyotes or other animals.

i have tried looking at other breeds but i cant get my mind off of the basenji.

so if anyone has any advice or helpful tips that would be appreciated.

thank you!

Well, all puppies get into things… and if not kept in a crate or confined, then they have to be watched all the time... regardless if a Basenji or another breed. And yes all puppies will make noise... ... Basenjis can be destructive and sometimes more so then some other breeds, but again, you need to make sure that if the pup is not confined to a crate or a xpen, then they have to be watched...

Not sure why your parents think that a Basenji would attract coyotes? or other animals any more that other breeds?

The problem as I see it is that your parents are not sold on raising the pup... and sounds like they are home more then you.... I think you would have this problem regardless of the breed of dog.

• Are you in College or Highschool?

I'm in college still, full time, and I have a male whose 2 1/2 and i'll have an 8 week old pup on the 18th of this month.. If someones home to watch the puppy if you're going to be gone for long hours, I think it would be well worth the purchase, as long as they know what they are getting into with a pup. I know I never even heard of them before my boyfriend and I started dating, now i can never imagine my life without one. Everyone i've introduced to my boy has fallen in love too.

As for noises, RARELY does my boy yodel, I've almost never heard him make noise. It's only when he gets EXTREEEEEEEMELY excited.. (like when his gramma comes to visit) This might not be true for everyone though.

destruction comes with puppies in general.. puppies like to chew. as long as you pay attention to them and watch them, you shouldn't really have a problem..

I dunno about the coyote thing.. maybe because they think they howl like them?

They main thing is, however, do you AND your family have the time and patience for a puppy?

hope i helped 🙂

• thank you both!

we want to crate train the puppy, and my mom would be home for majority of the day, so thats a good thing.

i dont understand why my parents would feel a basenji will attract a coyote either. so that shouldnt really be an issue.

i am in highschool, and i had a dog a couple years ago, but he passed away while i was out of town. so for me getting this dog means alot to me. i really want a new puppy that will be all mine!

thank you both for your help!!

• personally, i dont think a basenji is the breed for you under your circumstances. Unless the whole family, especially your mother, is ready to make the committment of raising a "difficult" breed it isnt a good idea. how about a nice yellow lab, or one of those tiny breeds, i bet your mom would like having one of those around. 🙂 good luck

• Regarding the coyotes…I don't live in the desert, but I do live in an area with a LOT of coyotes. Ruby does yodel (and sometimes howls when I leave), but I have not had any change in the number of coyotes around as a result that I know of. When I walk Ruby at night, I can hear the coyotes howling up on the ridge or in the woods, and she doesn't even act like she hears them.

• The real issue is whether everyone is willing to help take care of a new puppy or new dog, not just you. It doesn't really matter that your mother will be home while you're in school – if she and the pup don't get along (and sometimes the two personalities don't mess) there will be trouble -- if mom is too busy with other things to take care of helping potty train a puppy, to take care of a puppy getting into things, to take care of a puppy that ate something that made him ill and now has to go to the vet, to watch the puppy while exercising in the yard (if there is one) -- there will be trouble. On the other hand the dog could bond tightly to mom and not be very responsive to you. Deciding on the proper dog breed or mutt is an important decision and everyone involved will need to be in agreement. Don't just choose a basenji because they are the prettiest dog ever (:)) -- I fell in love with basenjis when I worked at a veterinarian's during high school but didn't get my first until many eons and three other dogs later.

• Have you considered a rescue basenji?
    One that has good house manners and is housebroken?
    That might be something your family would consider.
    A puppy is a LOT of work for everyone.

• @felakuti:

personally, i dont think a basenji is the breed for you under your circumstances. Unless the whole family, especially your mother, is ready to make the committment of raising a "difficult" breed it isnt a good idea. how about a nice yellow lab, or one of those tiny breeds, i bet your mom would like having one of those around. 🙂 good luck

I disagree, really a Basenji is like any other puppy…. and it would be the same for any type of puppy, the whole family needs to be ready for the committment. It can be carried a little too far by saying this is a "difficult" breed... yes as far as some things.. because they are a thinking breed (as are all sighthounds and 99% of Terriers for that matter)...
    Honestly a toy is one of the hardest to potty train... for sure!!! And unless the pup of any breed is well socialized from a responsible breeder, any would be a challenge to raise. I know many a "nice yellow lab" that are holy terrors...

• @sharronhurlbut:

Have you considered a rescue basenji?
    One that has good house manners and is housebroken?
    That might be something your family would consider.
    A puppy is a LOT of work for everyone.

And yes a rescue adult is another way to go… but they also come with baggage.... the bottom line is the entire family must be committed to getting a pup.. period...

• Everyone has made valid points, I think maybe because you are still in high school maybe a pup is not the best solution right now. I know we all want pups so we can raise them and see them in that absolutely adorable puppyhood, but sometimes a pup is not good for the situation.

As Sharron and Pat both pointed out a rescue might be a good way to go, you can find younger dogs in rescue at times, also you can contact breeders and see if they might have adults available. Rescues can and sometimes come with their own baggage so to speak, but BRAT should be able to help you find a dog that works with you and your family.

This next part is gonna sound rough, in your situation you really need to listen to your parents, they may say it's okay to get a dog, but in the end they're choice is the law because you are still under their roof. I would say talk to your parents more, even have them get on here to the forum a bit.

Basenji's are wonderful little dogs, and are not really more difficult than any other dog, it's just how you work with them that is a little different, they are thinkers, FAR from dumb and will out smart you at every chance they get.

And lastly, since your mom is worried about the type of dog and she will be home with it while you are at school, I HIGHLY suggest contacting breeders/owners in your area and ask them if you can come and meet their dogs and so your mom can meet the dog. Are lovely dogs, but not the type of dog that you can just jump right into.

• @felakuti:

personally, i dont think a basenji is the breed for you under your circumstances. Unless the whole family, especially your mother, is ready to make the committment of raising a "difficult" breed it isnt a good idea. how about a nice yellow lab, or one of those tiny breeds, i bet your mom would like having one of those around. 🙂 good luck

IMO I don't think that a lab or a tiny breed is a better suggestion, labs are large dogs and they don't fully mature until they are at least 3 yrs, and that includes calming down. Smaller dogs are make MUCH more noise than other dogs (majority of the time), and again all IMO labs and other larger dogs are much more destructive than a basenji. Also it is extremely harder to house break a tiny dog, compared to basenji size and bigger

All puppies have to be watched and guided in the right direction.

• I just saw that I regurgitated some previous post information…pardon my plagarism (and my spelling)... 🙂

All dogs have to be guided. Adults and puppies. I'm sure we all agree on that. I got a rescue because of some of the points you raise. Tucker was house trained and deemed to be non-destructive. He was housetrained, but he had accidents and did some spiteful peeing early in our 'relationship'. He only has accidents now if he's sick. He's NEVER been destructive, but he can murder a roll of toilet paper. What I didn't know when I got him was that he was going to bit my entire family, all of my friends and some of my neighbors. 🙂 But I deal with it and it's taken some time and management.

The point I'm trying to make is that ALL dogs will be a responsibility and no matter what the breed is, they will require constant care and attention. No dog thrives if left alone for long periods of time or are neglected. As stated, basenjis are famous for being a 'problem breed'. However, the reward from owning one is priceless, IMHO, and I don't consider my dog to be a problem because, well, he's MINE and I love the little bastard. 🙂

Some other things to consider...

You said you were in HS, what happens to the dog when you go to college if you choose to do so? Will you go to a college that allows dogs or will you rely on your parents to take care of him/her then? Do colleges even allow dogs? (I would think not, unless you lived off campus and not too many folks do this the first year). The dog will certainly outlive your HS stint, unless you adopt a much older dog. If no college, what about when you have to start working to earn your keep or make your place in the world? If you don't live at home at this time, and you have a younger dog...a dog left to it's own devices all day can certainly find trouble. Furthermore, what kind of life is living in a crate all day?

I would suggest you read everything you can find about the breed if you haven't already. A good dog is a good dog. Both adoption and getting a puppy from a breeder have pros and cons. Too many to go through here...

• and I don't consider my dog to be a problem because, well, he's MINE and I love the little bastard. 🙂

well said:D

• @TuckerVA:

and I don't consider my dog to be a problem because, well, he's MINE and I love the little bastard. 🙂

well said 😃

• @TuckerVA:

I don't consider my dog to be a problem because, well, he's MINE and I love the little bastard. 🙂

He He He…........I enjoyed that.:D

I can't disagree with anything you've said. Any dog requires a personal commitment just like a child IMO, please think this out carefully.

• I don't think any of us are here to talk you out of getting a Basenji (or a dog). 🙂 I think what we're all trying to do is help you think of what you hadn't thunk of…and to help to give you a picture of what lies ahead. Not just next week (when you are considering putting your new basenji up for adoption because you just can't take it anymore), but several years from now (when you are considering dumping your fiance because your basenji doesn't like him anymore).

..and to teach you a new word: thunk. 😃

• you didn't say if you have had dogs ever, but i wouldn't recomend a basenji as a first dog.
    if you are worried about noise i've found that goober is quieter than any dog i've ever had.
    if you are afraid of attracting more coyotes then any kind of dog will probably have the opposite effect.

• As a parent, I have to say that I can't really advise getting ANY animal that your parents are not completely on board with getting.

What kind of dog, if any really, are THEY interested or agreeable to having?

• haha wow! alot of this posts have definately got me thinking.

i have researched the breed alot, and probably bored my parents to death with new little facts i find. also my dad and i have gone to a breeder that does only african ones. and she didnt have a litter ready then, but she showed me all of her adults and the different personalities of each of them.

my dad believes that if a new dog will bring me more happiness then it is worth it, no matter what dog, or size. its just my mom who is expressing concern, which is tough because she would be the one home majority of the time, and if she doesnt like the dog, it will go downhill.

i have gone to alot of shelters to just look at other dogs to see if a different breed will jump out at me. and so far none have.

college has also been a concern for my family. but my dad has told me that we will cross that bridge when we get there, and if i need to get an apartment while im in college, i can be prepared.

about the whole lab thing….my family has one. we have a huge white lab (we think he is part moose) and he is about 6 or 7. and we also have a minature dachshund who is about 4 or 5.

any dog is a huge responsibility, and i think i kind of forgot about that. and im sure that when my mom read about basenjis online and saw that the were more destructive than another bread, so maybe that just freaked her out.

i think what im going to do is go to the breeder and take a look at the puppies and bring my mom along too, because i have mainly been looking for dogs with my dad.

thank you all so much for giving me advice and really helping me think beyond what i have been.

🙂

Suggested Topics