• Hi!

I have Piggy scheduled to be spayed on the 16th but I noticed that she started her proestrus cycle this morning (bleeding, etc). How long does this typically last in your basenjis? I could have sworn that in my last un-spayed female it was more like a month or month and a half than two weeks. The vet said that all of the swelling and other signs must be over by the spay date and scheduled it for the 16th, should I reschedule? Thanks for all the help guys we really appreciate it! 🙂

Jordan and Pigg

• My females are usually in season for 21-28 days.

• Yes, I would definitely reschedule…she will most likely be at the peak of fertility in 14 days.

• can you guys post in here the date your girls start? I have been watching Savanah for signs of starting, but nothing yet. I am trying to get her spayed before her time.

• @Mantis:

can you guys post in here the date your girls start? I have been watching Savanah for signs of starting, but nothing yet. I am trying to get her spayed before her time.

They are all different… Mine always started mid September through October.. I know some that are in right now.... some as late as Nov/Dec
    So, if you want to have her spayed, do it now...

• I think Ariel is about to start..but the ramp up can take days or weeks depending on the female. Vets will do a spay as long as the female isn't bleeding…so you could go ahead and schedule her ASAP.

• She is still bleeding. I rescheduled for two weeks from Thursday. Her mom bled for almost a month and a half before letting the dad mount her. This sucks.

Suggested Topics