• While, don't get me wrong, BRAT does a great service… But as "Dash" posted about the experience with BRAT, I hear all to often. And I hear that more often then not....

• @dash:

I signed in May and got an email but was told there are very few B's in this area. We did apply to adopt one here in Columbus but she was concerned with the fact we had cats. She said she would contact me to get me started in fostering but she also said she was really busy so we are still waiting. That was last week though.

It will probably be more difficult with you having cats, I know…I have 4 right now:)
    But once and awhile one that likes cats (in the friendly way) does come along.
    There is one (Roska) on the list now that does fine with cats since he was found folloowing (not chasing) a cat home. There are a few more on there that are OK with cats. You may look again and apply for a different one. There are seperate contacts for most of them, so if you see a new one you like you need to apply for that one also.

I have heard that some of the "adoption agents" are not as good as others (like everything in life). I really lucked out with mine. So keep trying, and Roskas is a cutie.

• There is a BRAT chat list, but its general, not broken down into groups of interest, ie, fostering, transport, etc.
    But this is a good suggestion.

• I actually sent my information to join BRAT twice, the first time I never really heard anything back but kept getting the Brat chat e-mails and then I resent my information and someone contacted me to let me know they were reviewing my information and they would let me know how I could help in my area. I have never heard back and it has been about 6 months. I wish I could help more, I offered to transport but nothing ever comes this way, I have also offered to do home inspections, pick up dogs that may be in shelters locally or what ever else may be needed. Again, I never heard anything back on what I need to do to be qualified to help.

• I filled out applications with BRAT, Colorado Basenji Rescue, and Southern CA Basenji Rescue (Medfly Brigade). I just got canned emails from the BRAT coordinator–oh--and he sent me one that was meant for someone else--which I tried to redirect to the right person. Both Colorado and SoCal called me to do a phone interview--and both were very receptive. I definitely got the impression from BRAT that since I was not willing to crate dogs all day while I was at work that my application may have been put at the bottom--even though I explained that I had a secure bedroom just for my dogs and a dog door to a secure backyard with an X pen and had a basenji for 16 years who did fine in that environment. Fortunately, Karen and Chuck in SoCal were absolutely thrilled with the home I was able to offer Tyler and Zoey who had been waiting two years for a home.

• My personal experience with BRAT is not very good. As a volunteer, I am only contacted when they need someone to drive to the CA/NV border which is a good 3 hour drive each way for me, once they wanted me to do the drive with chains required and heavy storms expected. I don't know if it is because the coordinator who lives in a city only 20 minutes from me does not know where my town is located geographically or they just figure I am last on the list and hope I will say yes. I have also been contacted by many people who have had bad experiences with BRAT from an adoption standpoint so there are problems on both sides of their process.

For now, I am putting my time and effort towards volunteering at my local shelter to help the dogs in my community.

• I am sorry some of you have had bad Brat experienses.
    Myself..I work very hard to share the info I have about dogs in my area, basenji activities my local breed club has, really, anything I can share with folks who want b's.
    Brat is made up of folks who are unpaid and do this as a hobby.
    Some folks are more committed than others, or have more time.
    I am sorry your contact with Brat was less than perfect.

• I don't mean to sound negative about BRAT, and I always refer people to rescue organizations in general. The BRAT web site was a great resource for me (even though I ended up adopting from the SoCal rescue)–and I'm glad they put the link back to the SoCal Basenji Rescue because it was gone for awhile. I appreciate anything any of the rescue organizations do for animals, and I realize the people participating are usually trying to do volunteer work on top of working for a living, raising families, taking care of their own pets, etc. So thank you to all the volunteers!!

• Its tough to please everyone when you work for a group as varied as BRAT.
    Mind you, I have had some issues with this group, and not always agreed with the decisions.
    But then I think about all the good they are going for basenjis.
    I mean, they have saved so many b's lives since they have come about.
    They are always working to make things better, get more info to the adopters, and get the dogs supported as quickly as they can.
    Now we sometimes are able to rehome mixes…and we do post them..which is a very BIG change for BRAT.
    So, maybe some of you that have has "issues" and have left, might want to think about trying it again.
    Is this group perfect..nope, but they are so wanting to do the best for any b in need.
    I know some of you think I am just a blind BRAT supporter and that is your right..
    But until you have a group that has done some much for b's...I think you should step back.
    If you do get one going to help b's. I would like to raise my hands to join and help you and the b's as well.
    That is my passion, the b's.

• <>
    I don't understand what you mean by "step back"...I don't think anyone here posted that they weren't willing to pitch in and help BRAT when asked. They only mentioned they had experienced some frustration....
    I don't think anyone was indicating they disliked the organization, or didn't see all the good that BRAT does.

• Ok, sorry if I overreacted.
    As you can tell by my writing and spelling,
    this is a tough venue for me. Talking however, I am a champ at! laugh
    I just hope those folks who can help with b's will…even if they aren't in love with the org.
    Its for the dogs after all.

• the thing that I have noticed about brat is that they are completely devoted to the dogs. that is where the passion lies. There are many people that work 20+hours/week unpaid for the organization. When one of those people gets busy, or can no longer do the job, it is hard to find somebody (let alone train them) for a job that will not pay them anything, and will tax them physically, emotionally, and even monetarily.

For those of you that have given up on the organization, I encourage you to give it a second look. And if you feel like you have something to offer that is not being taken advantage of, well then please speak up. I can guarantee you that there are many coordinators in there that do need help.

As sharron said: "They are working to make things better". It's just not easy.

Sharron, I don't think anyone thinks that you're a blind BRAT supporter. I just think that you've invested so much into BRAT that any criticism about BRAT you are going to take personally. I've invested less than yourself, and I kind of take it to heart too.

Vegas

• Thank you.
    Everyone who does anything for BRAT has my admiration.
    Fosters, boy, we so need fosters and its tough and rewarding…
    The burn out level is great...specally after all the puppies BRAT has
    gotten this year.
    Tranports..not easy, and with the price of gas...even less so.
    Talking to folks...I like to do that, but sometimes you can see they just don't "get" the fact that a basenji can't be loose in the house 13 hrs without having issues.
    However, when we get notes and photos from the new owners, it all becomes joyous.
    Having someone who has adopted from you before, send someone new to you..great, or having them ask for a second b...wonderful.
    Tough job rescue, and I so wish I could retire so I could do it full time.
    Hugs to you all who has helped with anything basenji related.
    Arlene, I just don't know how you do all the great things you do!
    Your my hero.

• I think what BRAT and any rescue does is wonderful. It is just frustrating hearing from you that they need fosters so bad and I have volunteered but not been contacted. But on the other hand, I emailed the other rescues online and have gotten quick response emails but nothing about fostering even though they said they desperately needed them as well. So it is just not BRAT.

• There are all kinds of opportunities to assist in rescue…. many regional clubs do rescue also.. and also Basenji Club of America has a rescue program. And yes in 99% of the cases BRAT does a great job... but... sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot... As with any org... there are good people and not so great people .... and people get turned off...

Sharron.... YOU are one of the great ones!!!!

• Pat, what a nice thing to say.
    I really do love doing rescue…
    Gives me all the emotions I need in a day, anger, joy, etc. LAUGH.
    I hope to someday retire and haul a booth to the dog show grounds to discuss rescue with the general public.
    Pat, folks like yourself, who have worked so hard to get our breeds temperments sound, health sound...well, your the group that has allowed me to enjoy this dog I love so very much.
    Hats off to you as well!
    I went to a dog training class last weekend...I heard, Oh, Basenjis...only dog who ever bit me...etc.
    Course, these folks thought they were dealing with a DOG, and we all know that is JUST NOT SO!
    smile.
    Hugs to you all.

Suggested Topics