Skip to content

Basenjis and their nails...

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji Dandruff

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    3k Views
    senjisillyS
    My Valentino had terrible dandruff. His vet said it was due to dry skin. She had me add Goat's milk and coconut oil to his diet. His dandruff lessened dramatically after about a month. The amount of coconut oil (solid or liquid) per day should be no more than 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight. Valentino is about 27 lbs. so I give him about 2.5-3 teaspoons a day. I divide the amount in half and add it too his meals. I feed goat milk rarely because it is so high in calories.
  • IBS in basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    3 Votes
    15 Posts
    10k Views
    ZandeZ
    @jengosmonkey That is a very interesting link. My girl suffered none of the possible side effects. No lethargy, listlessness, weight gain and her shape remained immaculate till the day she died. But she no longer suffered from IBS.
  • Sick Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    7k Views
    O
    Yes, Spencer is much better now, but he is still very thin. He lost six pounds. Even strong antibiotics cannot fight a severe abscess. I'm sure your vet found and resolved the problem under anesthesia, so that should put Egyn over the hump. SubQs and a few weeks of antiobiotics will hopefully get him back on the road to health. I had to feed Spencer critical care dog food through a syringe for several days after the surgery, then make him special soft food– the aforementioned meatballs-- for weeks after that. Good luck to you-- and positive thoughts to Egyn!
  • Nail trimming

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    10k Views
    P
    Pedro - good to have you back. I'm sorry to hear about your father. If his wife criticises try to keep your cool -picture her in your mind in an emabarrassing situation! You will then better her.
  • Itching Basenji!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    12k Views
    nobarkusN
    It's most likely a yeast infection. They get it in the ears quite often. Buddy has a yeast infection right now on his stomach.
  • Who has the largest Basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    63
    0 Votes
    63 Posts
    56k Views
    BasenjimammaB
    Thank you so much for the encouraging words. We have been running him with our other dogs in our yard, we have about half acre or so, and he is fast..He loves it, just don't think he is used to out heat yet, it is already about 85+ degrees and very humid…I think he looks good, he is definitely babychunky, not fat, but what I envision a puppy looking like before he grows into his own body. We will keep up with what we have done so far and see what he turns out like...can't be bad, just beautiful.. Basenjimamma