• Hello all,
    Wondering if anyone can weigh in on whether our boy looks to be Basenji? The shelter we just adopted him from said JRT/pit but we are skeptical.
    Let me first say I am obsessed with this dog. He’s a handful but so so loving. Currently on my lap for my morning cup of coffee, as per usual routine. He bonded to our family FAST. He’s 6 months, does not bark. Has white stockings/gloves and chest, white tip tail but tail is not curly (though it is bent at the end). Very social with other dogs, plays at local dog park daily and thinks he is much bigger than he is lol. He’s afraid of cars so I am not sure how else to get his wiggles out, when I try to walk him through town he is shaking with fear due to traffic (small New England village, not big city) . Anyway I know that part is likely due to past experiences so not relevant. Marvin is stealth. I go upstairs and turn around and he’s right behind me, and I never hear him. He just cocks his head and looks at me curiously. My older daughter has called him “jackal” and “cat-dog” from the day we got him, before we had even heard about the basenji breed.
    Anyway. I’m going to try to add a pic. The new love of my life. I think my husband is a little jealous.
    0_1616845692298_EA4A53D1-D9DE-49B5-B97C-6D382E8419A6.png
    0_1616845816550_C8ED3581-1257-490B-B3DA-6059ECD3D075.jpeg

• @scraplover72
    He appears he could be part Basenji. His characteristics sound basenji-like. Only way to know for sure is a DNA test. Congratulations - you are lucky to have found each other. I can see why you’re obsessed with him - he’s a BEAUTIFUL dog! 🐾❤

• @scraplover72 Only a DNA test will tell you for sure - there are several things Marvin COULD have in his make-up. Basenji is indeed one of them, but we'd need to see photos of him standing up, side-ways on, and even then couldn't be sure.

Whatever he is, he's Marvin and you can love him !

• Thank you both!
    Here’s a side view. We have the DNA test coming today and I think it will take at least a few weeks before we know. I am so curious to know, especially due to lack of barking.
    0_1616858633517_9145CECD-3033-45C0-B76F-92D6AC1C2001.jpeg

• Possibly a mix. I see some Basenji-like characteristics.

Basenji's are known for a square body shape - which is why the community will ask for (a side view) picture of the dog standing. We are looking to see if the length of the legs and back for that square.-like shape. Marvin's back is so much longer than his legs = no square shape, therefore not pure Basenji.

Another thing that would help would be the dogs weight and height. Again, we are trying to determine if the dog meets Basenji standards. But, from the picture, I'm taking a wild guess that he isn't in the "typical" 20-25# range. Another thing that he inherited by "the other breed". But you never know... there could be a lot of other combinations at play here. Marvin could be part (smooth coat) Portuguese Podengo, a breed that is similar to the Basenji.

As @Kembe mentioned, the only way to know for sure is with a DNA test. If you decide to get one, please share the results. 🙂

• Thank you!

Yes he is 28 pounds, so a bit bigger. I have not measured him height-wise.

I’ll let you know when I get the DNA results 🙂

• He isn't as square as a Basenji, but I had one purebred that looked a lot like him so still quite possible, especially with the characteristics you describe.

• @scraplover72
    If he had a tightly curled tail - I’d swear that photo was my purebred Kembe.

• IMO, part basenji. He's so handsome!

• @scraplover72 Oh my goodness. He is an absolute L-O-V-E.
    And please don't waste your money on DNA breed testing. They, in fact, can NOT tell you anything for sure. They are simply recreational commercial exercises.
    Enjoy your special boy! ❤

• Hi beautiful boy. Congratulations on your new love. My first reaction is not Basenji.

• I have absolutely no doubts he is part basenji. Beautiful dog. Enjoy him.

• 28 pounds for a male Basenji is not unusal. His markings definitely resemble a Basenji.

• @scraplover72 Definitely seeing Basenji in Marvin.

• @elbrant said in Marvin... Basenji?:

Basenji's are known for a square body shape - which is why the community will ask for (a side view) picture of the dog standing. We are looking to see if the length of the legs and back for that square.-like shape.

Not precisely. A great many true Basenjis are not square, some are long cast and others high on the leg, but what I am looking for as well is the tuck, the depth of brisket and overall body shape which defines a Basenji. Height, weight, outline - all come into it but so too does body shape.

And feet.

• He is SO beautiful!!!! Congratulations on your new family addition. He looks like some Basenji in there, but we love all Basenjis...even if they are simply Basenji wannabes!!!!! Welcome to the group!

• And the verdict is in....
    ZERO basenji. I was shocked!
    He’s 50% cattle dog and 36% American Staffordshire Terrier and the rest random stuff like Cathoula Leopard, Mexican street dog, French bull dog.
    So interesting! I appreciate everyone’s input. I just love my sweet boy so much and I’m happy to know his background.. 🐾💕

• @jot said in Marvin... Basenji?:

I am starting to have less and less faith in DNA testing to determine lineage. He is Marvin - that is more than enough to endear him to you and everyone else.

• @scraplover72 said in Marvin... Basenji?:

ZERO basenji

I'm shocked! And I would never have suggested Cattle dog/American Staffordshire. Wow!
    Fun to have this story added to the "Adventures of Marvin"! Enjoy him!

• @scraplover72
    He is one handsome boy! Doesn't really matter who his parents are if you love them and they love you!. So glad you found each other. Enjoy the ride.

Suggested Topics