Skip to content

Anti-anxiety medication for separation anxiety. 14 month male B.

Behavioral Issues

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    19 Posts
    14k Views
    ZandeZ
    @elbrant In the rutting season, any female is fair game - even neutered boys ! Basenji males don't discriminate at 'their time of year'. The rest of the year though their instincts quieten but if the female was in season at a different time of year they might show less interest. In a normal season season, yes, they would probably show more than a passing interest - just checking, you know !
  • 0 Votes
    17 Posts
    11k Views
    ZandeZ
    I have never placed a puppy in an apartment. Not particularly by design but it just panned out that way. Even the relatively high percentage I have exported have gone to houses with gardens of some kind and access to lots of exercise. Many of these myths have only really gotten a toe hold since FaceBook and social media generally. I had one potential owner visit a few times before deciding, yes, her allergies did not extend to Basenjis. She had three pups from me over a span of about 15 years before being an established and successful breeder herself. @rhughes89 Well done for wanting to persevere. I am sure that, with the will and the right mind-set, you will prevail !
  • Any other B do this?

    Behavioral Issues
    21
    0 Votes
    21 Posts
    14k Views
    T
    Yep Tenji does it also, I call it his "Mr. T" look though.
  • Herbal anti-anxiety extracts

    Behavioral Issues
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    17k Views
    NemoN
    @Vicki: Great information - I agree, ladies, that many human compounds are dangerous for animals. That is why herbal remedies for pets should be administered by a vet who is familiar with herbals treatments. +1 "All natural", "herbal", etc. are not by definition "safe" for animals or humans, which unfortunately some people confuse. The risks can be just as great as for man-made drugs if used improperly.
  • Anxiety help

    Behavioral Issues
    36
    0 Votes
    36 Posts
    18k Views
    renaultf1R
    @sharronhurlbut: Re car rides, this is going to sound odd, but it does work for me and my 2 dogs. Even if you have walked your dogs before a car trip, I find the excitement of the "get into the car" and going makes there guts act up. So, here is what we do. We take the dogs a lot on vacation when we go by car. We walk the dogs in the am, feed and water. Get them into the car. Drive about 2 miles and stop and let them out to walk. Both always pee and poo when we stop. Once back in the car, they settle and are quiet. About a hr or so into the ride, they start to get "ACTIVE" again…we stop at a rest area, they go, and then they sleep the rest of the way. Could be the excitement of leaving home, the motion of the car or whatever, but these stops, even tho you want to get going...make the trip much easier on all involved. Give it a try. All you can lose is a bit of time... Sharron…I've had friends use that method as well...so I think you (and them) are on to something. Wizard...It is a tough road, separation anxiety. I never had much success with the DAP - spray or plug-in...and I used both for about half a year. I finally gave up on it. Although, my vet and the pet store I bought it at said they knew of people that had had success with it. Good for you for working with a behaviorist...they definitely will have better ideas about things to try. The second beastie was the golden ticket for Ruby though...and seriously, I've found that 2 b's are so much easier than one. So much so that I'm thinking of adding another either this year or next...and for that I might need my head examined.
  • Medical intuitive B?

    Behavioral Issues
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    wizardW
    Best wishes to your brother - will keep you all in prayers.