• @Quercus:

I have found that too, Jason. Sometimes the naughty behavior indicates they are really sleepy, and a nap is needed.

Yeah, they're a lot like 2 yr old humans == when nap time rolls around they always seem to start running from one naughty thing to another === and that's what my B pups did until they got old enough to just go crate themselves when a nap was needed. Can't recall the age though.
    Now at 2 and 4 they seldom chew anything other than what we give them.
    When they feel the need to chew they let us know by walking from us to the cookie cupboard – Jazz usually adds a quick tug on our pants leg.

• @Quercus:

Who did you get your girl from? The breeder might be able to help you with some pointers also.

Well, Trinity came from a pet store & Denver is a South House - Echelon basenji. The 2 are as different as they are alike. The only real problems we ever had with Trinity concerned her health. She has never screamed, does very well in her crate, leaves things pretty much be & is highly intelligent. Bringing Denver home was a completely different story. We were introduced to the basenji scream - so much crate hate, he chews on everything & is the most stubborn little man. We are lucky in that Denver is a very laid back fella - he puts up with Trinity quite well & has the sweetest disposition. Trinity, on the other hand, is the naughty one - steals my dish towels, counter surfs for whatever's available, jumps & nips, instigates trouble then leaves Denver high & dry to take the blame! I just hope not too much of Trinity's naughtiness rubs off on Denver - he's already starting to steal things & run from me!

• Rather than chase them when they steal things, offer a trade. They may still steal things in order to trade for a treat but at least you won't be chasing them everywhere.

• @lvoss:

Rather than chase them when they steal things, offer a trade. They may still steal things in order to trade for a treat but at least you won't be chasing them everywhere.

+1 - I know my first instinct is to give chase (especially when they have something I really care about - like say my iPhone), but the b's are finally training me to offer a trade…oh and to put things away that I value. It works so much better doing a trade. :D:D

• @renaultf1:

+1 - I know my first instinct is to give chase (especially when they have something I really care about - like say my iPhone), but the b's are finally training me to offer a trade…oh and to put things away that I value. It works so much better doing a trade. :D:D

your iPhone?? seriously….those are expensive...tell them to stick to paper towels!!!

Hmm...maybe that is why we don't have anything 'nice'...the dogs would ruin it....

• @RedVelvetLynx:

Well, Trinity came from a pet store & Denver is a South House - Echelon basenji. The 2 are as different as they are alike. The only real problems we ever had with Trinity concerned her health. She has never screamed, does very well in her crate, leaves things pretty much be & is highly intelligent. Bringing Denver home was a completely different story. We were introduced to the basenji scream - so much crate hate, he chews on everything & is the must stubborn little man. We are lucky in that Denver is a very laid back fella - he puts up with Trinity quite well & has the sweetest disposition. Trinity, on the other hand, is the naughty one - steals my dish towels, counter surfs for whatever's available, jumps & nips, instigates trouble then leaves Denver high & dry to take the blame! I just hope not too much of Trinity's naughtiness rubs off on Denver - he's already starting to steal things & run from me!

Okay, so I think I've got it…Trinity is still a pup also, but Denver is younger. Trinity is the one chewing on the baseboards? She is probably (warning...anthropomorphization alert!!) suffering some new sibling anxiety, and trying to get more of your attention by being extra naughty.

Basenjis really are naughty by nature, because they are smart enough to devise ways to MAKE you pay attention to them. And if they aren't getting enough feedback by doing the right thing, they will try doing the wrong thing. So set her up so that she can't do the wrong thing..or chooses not to. Give her lots of exercise, lots of appropriate stuff to chew that she likes. Give her ways to keep her mind busy, and she will be much less naughty 🙂

• Yep - trade. I'm very careful to keep everything from their reach - my husband is a different story. Trinity loves to grab his hats & run & one time, I came out of the bathroom to find her gnawing on a tube of Cortizone - cream on the rug, in her mouth, on her paws - I was freaking out! - but all was okay. I'm ususally guilty of throwing food in the opposite direction the dog is running with whatever he/she's stolen - my husband gets mad because he says I'm rewarding them for their behavior. So, I only do it if they've grabbed something that can harm them. Otherwise, I'm working on the "drop it" command with food. Anyway, Trinity is 10 mos. & Denver is almost 4 mos. Yes, I do believe there is some sibling rivalry going on in Trinity's world & yes, I am wholey guilty of anthropomorphization! Wrong or not, these 2 are my babies! 🙂

• @Quercus:

your iPhone?? seriously….those are expensive...tell them to stick to paper towels!!!

Hmm...maybe that is why we don't have anything 'nice'...the dogs would ruin it....

Ha, ha, ha…yes, Brando is obsessed with the iPhone...the minute I set it down, his nose is right on it...so you would think I would learn to set it down out of his reach. He'll get me trained eventually. 😉

• @RedVelvetLynx:

Yep - trade. I'm very careful to keep everything from their reach - my husband is a different story. Trinity loves to grab his hats & run & one time, I came out of the bathroom to find her gnawing on a tube of Cortizone - cream on the rug, in her mouth, on her paws - I was freaking out! - but all was okay. I'm ususally guilty of throwing food in the opposite direction the dog is running with whatever he/she's stolen - my husband gets mad because he says I'm rewarding them for their behavior. So, I only do it if they've grabbed something that can harm them. Otherwise, I'm working on the "drop it" command with food. Anyway, Trinity is 10 mos. & Denver is almost 4 mos. Yes, I do believe there is some sibling rivalry going on in Trinity's world & yes, I am wholey guilty of anthropomorphization! Wrong or not, these 2 are my babies! 🙂

sounds like you are on the right track 🙂 maybe you need to work on training the hubby j/k 😉

• That is usually one of the biggest problems… someone in the house is NOT good about remember to pick up after themselves... or putting things out of reach of the "Basenji"...

Suggested Topics