Rescues are a great choice!

• I adopted from BRAT on Feb 2nd 2005 and it was an amazing experience. I credit it most to my "adoption agent" Virginia. I was a 27yo single gal who was getting ready to move into my house on Feb 1st. I had a 3.5 ft high pickett fence around my very small yard– and it was just me and my 2 cats. She gave me the benefit of the doubt and came for a house visit in either september or October. I was still working on the house and had no carpet, no chairs and dust everywhere. She met my parents and boyfriend (who were helping that day) and stayed for quite awhile getting to know me and warning me about basenjis. She gave me literature to read and websites to look up.
    When she found the perfect dog (for me) she called to let me know we would be picking him up (he went straight from his home to mine) on the 2nd of November.
    Virginia has been so wonderful and we still talk about once every few weeks. She has helped me get envolved in transporting for BRAT and someday homevisits and fostering.
    I loved my experience, but it helped having an agent who believed in me and got to know me.
    My Squiggy was 3.5yo when I got him and he is, as I have said before, far from perfect but perfect for me (most of the time).

• I adopted my B from perfinders.com. It was just something meant to be becuase i had never heard of Basenji's before and when we met him all we went by was the fact that we loved him at first sight and he seemed very taken by us too. Well it's been some hectic, crazy, but amazingly wonderful these past 3 months. I wonder what it would be like to get another B since our Champ loves playing with other dogs except he likes to play bite a whole lot and I don't think it's good to bring another furry companion in that can't handle such play. I would only consider another B simply because I am spoiled and can no longer stand all the barking and whining that comes with other breeds. But we would liike to give him a brother or sister. Do all B's play bite this way if so I would really consider adopting again.

• @ChristyRutherford:

I adopted from BRAT on Feb 2nd 2005 and it was an amazing experience. I credit it most to my "adoption agent" Virginia. I was a 27yo single gal who was getting ready to move into my house on Feb 1st. I had a 3.5 ft high pickett fence around my very small yard– and it was just me and my 2 cats. She gave me the benefit of the doubt and came for a house visit in either september or October. I was still working on the house and had no carpet, no chairs and dust everywhere. She met my parents and boyfriend (who were helping that day) and stayed for quite awhile getting to know me and warning me about basenjis. She gave me literature to read and websites to look up.
    When she found the perfect dog (for me) she called to let me know we would be picking him up (he went straight from his home to mine) on the 2nd of November.
    Virginia has been so wonderful and we still talk about once every few weeks. She has helped me get envolved in transporting for BRAT and someday homevisits and fostering.
    I loved my experience, but it helped having an agent who believed in me and got to know me.
    My Squiggy was 3.5yo when I got him and he is, as I have said before, far from perfect but perfect for me (most of the time).

Christy makes a good point. I think that the "adoption agents" or whatever their title is, can and do make their own guidlines for what is acceptable (just as breeders do). Some are very exclusive, and some are more flexible.

• <<when i="" got="" my="" rescue="" years="" ago="" he="" came="" from="" a="" local="" breeder="" and="" she="" was="" not="" that="" strict.="">>

Nobarkus, what is a rescue breeder? I am not familiar with that term….</when>

• That was in 1994 and from what I understand they don't have rescue breeders any more. A rescue breeder was a breeder who took on the responsibility of taking in unwanted Basenjis that were local to find them homes. Hence the term rescue.

• @nobarkus:

That was in 1994 and from what I understand they don't have rescue breeders any more. A rescue breeder was a breeder who took on the responsibility of taking in unwanted Basenjis that were local to find them homes. Hence the term rescue.

Hmmm…there are quite a few breeders that are active in rescue in the BCOA...the Basenji Club of Southeastern Wisconsin pops to mind quickly...they have an active rescue group. In fact, I can think of quite a few breeders that are actively rescuing, and fostering dogs...so that must be the same kind of thing? I had just never heard that before.

• The Basenji club of Northern California years ago before Insurance problems had our own rescue program, and Margaret Hoff ran the program for many a year until she passed away, it was not for breeders, but for any Basenji in No. California, breeders within the club still took care of their own dogs, but if Margaret had possible homes, she would pass on the names. Our breeders that are club members still engage in rescue of their own dogs. As a club we do not do rescue because we would have lost our insurance riders.

• HI all. I also got my Basenji from a rescue in Southern California. I got him as a puppy and there was 5 in the litter. He is a great dog and we love him dearly. Just keep them busy busy busy. We have 2 rescued dogs one was full grown the other a pup and they are both truly wonderful dogs.

• @drummamamma:

HI all. I also got my Basenji from a rescue in Southern California. I got him as a puppy and there was 5 in the litter. He is a great dog and we love him dearly. Just keep them busy busy busy. We have 2 rescued dogs one was full grown the other a pup and they are both truly wonderful dogs.

Hi, drummamamma, did you get your puppy from Karen and Chuck who have a basenji rescue in Southern CA? I recently adopted Tyler and Zoey from them.

• I adopted my B from perfinders.com. It was just something meant to be becuase i had never heard of Basenji's before and when we met him all we went by was the fact that we loved him at first sight and he seemed very taken by us too. Well it's been some hectic, crazy, but amazingly wonderful these past 3 months. I wonder what it would be like to get another B since our Champ loves playing with other dogs except he likes to play bite a whole lot and I don't think it's good to bring another furry companion in that can't handle such play. I would only consider another B simply because I am spoiled and can no longer stand all the barking and whining that comes with other breeds. But we would liike to give him a brother or sister. Do all B's play bite this way if so I would really consider adopting again.

Multiple basenjis are wonderful. They will play together and burn up the extra energy that you may not have in the evening for them. I adopted my second (a rescue)when my first hit 1-1/2 years old. He was out of the chew biting and started to become destructive because i couldnt play all evening. I adopted a rescue girl who was the same age and they were great friends. The did have their scuffles, but so do kids.

I would strongly recommend going through basic obedience before adopting a second basenji. It will really helps you communicate your terms. Once your single b understands the rules, then a second will follow the first one's behaviors.

If you have an opportunity to bring a second basenji into your family I strongly recommend it. 2 basenjis will play differently that you do and they are so happy running and boxing and mouthing.

I felt it was a great combination to have the two the same age and that was what I looked for. Their play level was the same. Two was not harder than 1 in any way.

BRAT is a fantastic resource because you can really learn about each dog and take your time to find the perfect basenji for you.

I let my basenji boy tell me that my rescue girl was the one for him. He loved her the moment he met her. Licked her face at first meeting and they were inseperable. They slept together on the couch the first day I brought her home.

• I too am a proud owner of a rescue basenji!
    I stumbled across his picture on petfinder one day and said to my boyfriend Brian there is a basenji at Pet Orphans (all breed rescue in Van Nuys)! So we went over for a visit and he looked a little ruff on the edges under weight, dull coat, a little dandruff, puppymill"ish looking and about two years old. I was a little apprehensive at first, Brian on the other hand feel in love the first second. He said to me I have had basenjis for years now and I know this one is special. We took the little guy home and the rescue was hassle free we didnt have to deal with twenty million questions or home checks it was great. I beleve there is a basenji lover working there because after I have noticed they have had a few other pure B's and cute B mixes. We knew we were in love with how cute he was but we never imagined how well behaved, sweet, and easy going this little dog turned out to be. From the B's that have been in the family, one from a pet store,two from breeders, and our rescue the rescue has been the best behaved, best temperment, and the most well rounded out of them all. Everyday He puts a smile on my face and joy in my heart. I love my rescue.

Suggested Topics