• Can't resist posting these.....Perry at my farm, chasing crows!
    0_1583885831236_01crowchase.jpg

Picture taken from a video, so not great, but you can see he is flat out.
    Watching crows was fun too....

0_1583885999186_01lookingforcrows.JPG

....and making new friends.....

0_1583886177980_01Perryandfriend.JPG

• Hello, just thought I'd add my two cents. I used a 50-foot web lead when walking my basenjis in a lovely park with rolling hills that is close by. My dogs loved the freedom and quite honestly, I wasn't interested in having them off lead. Both dogs had very strong prey drive and they'd see a squirrel and that was it. Squirrel chasing is better than treats!

I have a nylon 50-footer that I use on the beach with my guy, same thing, he can run and play but it's almost impossible to call a dog and have the dog hear it with the sound of the ocean and waves breaking

That said, I wish you good luck in training your b to walk off leash to be able to enjoy a walk in the woods. Please give us an update when you've gone on your first adventure.

• @b5004ever said in Off leash:

I have a nylon 50-footer that I use on the beach with my guy, same thing, he can run and play but it's almost impossible to call a dog and have the dog hear it with the sound of the ocean and waves breaking

That's where having a remote collar becomes very useful. It doesn't have to be a "shock" collar, it can be one that just vibrates or makes a noise if you otherwise have a dog with excellent recall. I used Perry's e-collar when he was too far upwind to hear me. I would give him a very brief stim at the lowest level he could feel, to get his attention, then use hand signals to tell him what I wanted. Wave him in to recall, or put my hand up palm out to ask him to wait. Worked very well for that purpose.

• Bells! My b-girl likes to roam in the woods and I just invested in a loud pair of bells that go on her collar so I can always hear approximately where she is. I started her off leash early like those above and she was attached to me and my other dog at the hip so I just rewarded the heck out of her for those behaviors so by the time she was old enough to gain confidence and want to go off on her own, she knew to always come back. She does chase squirrels and birds but I always go to wooded areas away from busy roads so she can do so to her heart’s content and I don’t have to worry. I still of course carry treats and reward her sporadically for coming back so she never knows when a treat reward is involved. Seeing her pure joy at running full tilt through the woods with my other dog (a catahoula mix) truly will never ever get old

• I couldn't agree more - the sight of a pair of Basenjis - or even 8 - racing at full pelt through the woods is something to rejoice over.

It won't be long before I have two running free again. I am just starting my new puppy off - He has been to the woods in a sling, on a lead, on a longer lead. . . and we are practising 'recall' here in the large garden. Mku is obviously following Hoover and Benji (a Spaniel we walk with) and wants desperately to chase with them.

But he is currently worried by the occasional barking dog we meet. He will meet and greet, doggie fashion, anything and everything in the canine kingdom, but a single bark has his tail right down and his ears right back !

Next door neighbors have a couple of Boxers, and while gardening they shut the dogs in the fruit cage. The dogs bark and Mku screams and races the length of the garden for the sanctity of the kitchen.

An official visit to the Boxers is scheduled (one is a puppy) and when I am sure he won't bolt (well, 99% sure he won't. . . he is a Basenji, after all) then we will progress to freedom !

• @zande Yes, as the two us get out and around more I notice that he does not like the sight or sound of another dog. Is this another B-dog thing?

• @slents said in Off leash:

sound of another dog

I found that 'doodle' was confused by other dogs barking. She just looks at them and tilts her head.

I take 'doodle' to the local dog park to interact with the other dogs. One particular day, a Beagle who was willing to give chase was there. In typical Beagle fashion, the dog was chasing 'doodle' and had a throaty, raspy bark. So, here they are running, and the Beagle is making all this noise... 'doodle' stopped, turned around and looked at the Beagle, "dude, you okay? Do you want to get some water?" LMAO, I think she really was concerned that the Beagle needed a Vet!

• @slents Mine have never objected to the sight of other dogs - but puppies often find barking 'strange'. It is not something they are accustomed to and often have never heard the sound until they leave the nest and venture out into the wider world.

Mku is getting better. I talk to reassure him when he gets barked at by dogs we meet out on walks. At need I pick him up, but mostly I just stroke him and tell him its OK. He is not fazed by the sight of large dogs - and they must seem huge to such a tiny little guy (4 kilos). He chased a very friendly Pointer yesterday. He meets 'Ted' most trips to the woods.

He will learn to accept it, just as generations of his ilk have done before him. He'll just think 'strange creatures ! and pass on by.

• @b5004ever
    We have a 50 ft leash we use when walking at our camp - enables the B some freedom. I wish I could let my B run off leash but I have bad memories of the one time my B got loose. Our neighbor has a large fenced yard and she lets us run our B off leash on her property and it is a wonderful site to see her run sail through the air.

• @zande It is really funny to watch him be so curios about everything as we walk. He does not like loud noises at all. When ever a plane goes over head he totally freaks out and I just look at him and tell him it's ok. They are so intelligent I feel like I need a PhD in Besenjiology.

• @zande said in Off leash:

Mku

ok, I give! How should we enunciate "mku"? mmmm-cue? em-koo? emck-you? Please help me with this! How do you "say" your dog's name? 😉

• @elbrant said in Off leash:

How should we enunciate "mku"? mmmm-cue? em-koo? emck-you?

Mku ! (the M is almost silent, just a closing of the lips).

Throughout ???? litters, my dogs have always had a Swahili word describing the character, behaviour or attributes of a Basenji as their registered name.

I was allowed to pick a name for my wee boy and went back to the old system. His call name is part of his registered name because it kind of suits him and he is happy with it. Normally dogs tell me what they'd like to be called.

Hoover is obvious. Its what she does !!!

• @zande Funny stuff. We nicknamed Zaki - Hoover because of the way he eats.

• @zande - Nicely bred young boy! Congrats! He is related to my C-Me (GCH DC Klassic-Tanza Color Me Tri, SC, MC) through Klassic's Yuara Hoot!

• I guess, tanza, you looked him up - did a search in the database on the part of the name you know !

That database has its uses - just wish more people who bought puppies this past few months would let me know their registered names and parents so they could be included !

Along with photos !

• @zande - Agree Zande.... I did do a search... I use your site almost every day!

Suggested Topics