Skip to content

Do you think part basenji?

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • 0 Votes
    7 Posts
    8k Views
    J
    Thanks everyone for your help!
  • Thinking about getting a Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    3k Views
    No one has replied
  • Thinking about getting a Basenji, need help!!

    Basenji Talk
    63
    0 Votes
    63 Posts
    63k Views
    mixieM
    Oops… Didn't realize how old and long this thread is!
  • I think I have a Basenji!

    Basenji Talk
    27
    0 Votes
    27 Posts
    16k Views
    J
    Thanks for all your help! As I mentioned previously, it was the trainer that said there may be some basenji in this dog. We had never heard of basenjis, so it's been interesting to learn more about them, whether or not she has any in her. Thanks again for your input!
  • Thinking about getting a basenji…

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    34k Views
    tanzaT
    @JazzysMom: Well, it's a good thing we went straight to a breeder! I'd considered BRAT, but decided to get a puppy instead. Good thing, because with six kids at home and lots of other kids in and out, we'd have never gotten a dog! Sad isn't it….