Anyone else just want to gush?

• I was just reading an article from BRAT that was published in a dog magazine, I don’t remember the name. The article tells the story of the basenjis roots in Africa, the early struggles of the European and American breeders and so on. It gives all the warnings one should take very seriously before choosing a basenji because so many of them are relinquished or abused and neglected.
    Then the article describes the beauty, speed, agility and grace of the basenji. It’s charm, the bizarre noises they make, their intelligence and their wild dog intuition and their independence, and best of all what wonderful friends they become.
    I read things like this and rejoice in how lucky I am. Having basenjis is like a dream come true. My pups, age 5 and 3, are more precious to me than any diamond or to own a Ferrari or live on the sea coast. They are my everyday treasure. I think they are the most beautiful creature on the planet. So, when one of them puts his soft little nose into the palm of my hand looking for his long luxurious back rub, I am filled with joy. Here I am at 66 years old embarking on this wonderful adventure. Anyone else feel this way and just want to share the joy, excitement, warmth, hilarity of being a lucky basenji mom or dad? “Every walk is a safari. “

• I've felt that way about all the breeds I have owned. But the basenji's gazing into your eyes... My most beloved dog, Sayblee, learned if she walked on me I'd generally shove her off the bed. So she learned to crawl up me and I'd wake up to find her on top of me with her nose on my nose, intensely looking in my eyes.

Aileen: It gives all the warnings one should take very seriously before choosing a basenji because so many of them are relinquished or abused and neglected.

I've worked in rescue a long time. Dogs generally are grateful and adjust fine, unless they had an unstable temperament to start with. Getting one from an experienced rescue that can really evaluate a dog is important. I'm always disappointed with rescues that just take the owner's word for things and places the dog directly into a home. And now I have sweet Cara who puts her head on my leg and looks up to me to figure out what she wants; follows us from room to room so she's not by herself (the other dog doesn't count).

• Yes, we are very privileged to have Basenjis in our lives. They have been in my heart since I first fell in love with the then Belgian Congo, many many years ago. I have lived with them on and off for over 70 years and associated with them more than that. There is no other breed for me although I have had some others over the years. Alas, I have my last one now as I couldn't possibly hope to give the care needed to another dog at my age. (I do have a part in others

• I love my girls. But I think everyone around me is tired of hearing about them haha I pretty much show pictures of them to anyone I get to know.

Whenever my sister tells me stories about her toddler, I always tell her I can totally relate because my B's act so much like toddlers. I love it; they always keep me on my toes. They are like my children.

• Oh I can certainly identify with the toddler thing. How true! My son is a grown man now but as a little boy he shared many personality traits with my boy basenji. Sounds terrible but too true. Defiant, independent, bored by any of my attempts to teach him anything, fast as hell and agile, absolutely show stopping cute, too smart for his own good, escape artist, afraid of nothing, small but thought he was pretty big stuff, I’m sure you get the picture. There have been quite a few times of utter exasperation when my basenji boy is just driving me nuts and I have unthinkingly yelled out, “MATT STOP IT”. Matt is my son, not my dog.

• @aileen
    I always said that my basenji is a 3 year old child trapped in a dog's body! I relate to everything you say - I love my basenji more than anything - she brings me so much joy and happiness. She is the cutest, sweetest, smartest little creature! She can also be self-centered and thinks the world revolves around her, which I find to be hysterical. She is relentless and persistent - it's her way or no way - which always makes me laugh. She is so set in her routine that I could set a clock by her. Only basenji owners can understand this wonderful unique lovable breed.

• “Yes, we are very privileged to have Basenjis in our lives.” should read “Yes, we are very privileged to be Basenji servants” lol.

• @dagodingo
    LOL - you are so right -"we are privileged to be BASENJI SERVANTS". As my brothers would say "When you own a Basenji you become a "MAN SERVANT" to a dog. LOL - BTW - both are previous basenji owners.

• I think that Basenji people have to have a special sense of humor to choose this breed in the first pace, and Basenjis have the same sense of humor, doing things that crack us up and then cuddling up and demanding attention and love. Of course we love our Basenjis and want to gush about them...it comes with Basenji territory!!!!

Suggested Topics