Luxating Patellas in Basenji’s

• My vet told me my Basenji has luxating patellas and recommended surgery. Have any of you experienced this with your dogs and if so, what was the surgery recovery like for your dog?

• Our Togo had luxating patellas in both back knees. The day both knees went out at the same time my husband looked at me said said, "we have to have that repaired". The first knee was repaired and the wire broke 3days later. So, a second surgery was needed. While the knee stayed in place it was never exactly right. A year later we had the second knee repaired. This time with much better results. You absolutely have to restrict activity throughout the healing process. A later surgery was required on the first knee to remove a screw. Would I have this surgery done again? Absolutely. Togo was my "heart" dog🐾🐾🐾

• Yes - I had a bitch I loved to distraction with a slipping patella in the left rear leg. The vet showed me how to put it right - exactly how to have the dog in my arms, lying on her back and how to hold and s t r e t c h the leg so it slipped back in.

DO NOT try it without proper demonstration from a vet though.

I learned to do it and to give her loads of exercise to strengthen the muscles. Eventually, when the girl was about 2.5 years old, it stopped slipping and we had no further problems. Her frame matured and the patella remained in place

Frankly - I would always avoid surgery - but then I am not a vet looking to make money ! Find one who understands Basenji anatomy,

• @reblin95 As Chris has said below you can choose to have surgery and keep the activity to a minimum during the recovery time. My gal had Cancer at the age of 12 and there was no way I was going to lose her to that. Surgery is never inexpenise and I was fortunate as my Vet knew all about the Breed because she had an interest in Ancient Breeds. It cost me 4K for the Surgery and she lived for 4 more years.

She was like my child and I took her everywhere with me because she was an awesome traveler. If my Dog had this problem I would beg, borrow and sign on the dotted line for a Loan to take care of the problem. These Dogs are so special that I feel we should do everything we can to take care of them for the duration of their lives.

Best of luck to you!

A

• It really depends on how severe. Get a 2nd opinion. Some dogs never have surgery and do okay. Some dogs don't have surgery and end up with other problems because of it.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/luxating-patella-or-kneecap-in-dogs

• @chriscoe55 Thank you for your reply. My husband will be taking a week off of work to stay with her right after surgery. About how long did you have to restrict a lot of activity? I have another Basenji who loves to play with her so we’re going to have to watch her constantly.

• I've never had a dog who had the condition but obviously it happens. How old is she? If she's young my guess is there is a good chance she'll outgrow it. I agree with Zande that there is benefit in trying to avoid surgery, either in dogs or people. Of course sometimes you don't have a choice. In that case I would definitely get a second or even third opinion. If surgery seemed the best course I'd then find a vet who does a lot of them. Practice makes perfect. PetMD says about 1 of every 2 dogs after successful surgery have the problem re-occur, so IMO the surgery doesn't have the highest success rate.

I have had one friend who has the problem but I can't remember if he had surgery or not. My understanding is that at least in people it's usually a wear issue.

• @donc she’s 3 years old. The Vet that diagnosed her said she was grade 3 but I’m getting a second opinion on Saturday. Her hind legs are noticeably wobbly when she walks and runs and she limps sometimes too so I’m not sure if it will get better on it’s own. I’m worried about putting her through surgery but I don’t want her to get arthritis and be in pain so I’m going to talk to a few different vets to see what we can do.

• Have you thought of acupuncture ? It might help the wobbles. I swear by it for the Basenjis, especially for the older ones.

The veterinary practice I use has two experienced acu-vets. It can't actually cure mechanical failings but it promotes the body to manufacture its own cortisone and once the dog is pain-free and can relax, nature takes over and conditions can heal themselves. I had a 10 year old who developed lesions in the high neck. He screamed as he curled up to lie down and when he stood up and at other times. He was in a bad way.

After three sessions the first week, then weekly for a month, then monthly - - - the vet signed him off but I took him back for a booster every 6 months or so for a couple of years - 'just in case'..

Aged 12.5, he went Best Veteran at a Club Specialty and the judge told me afterwards he had pushed hard for the reserve dog ticket (reserve best dog) but lost out to a younger man !

Since then I have considered acupuncture on many occasions and used it where even slightly appropriate to very good effect. I suggest you at least discuss it, along with manipulation, for your doggie.

Good luck.

• @reblin95 said in Luxating Patellas in Basenji’s:

@donc she’s 3 years old. The Vet that diagnosed her said she was grade 3 but I’m getting a second opinion on Saturday. Her hind legs are noticeably wobbly when she walks and runs and she limps sometimes too so I’m not sure if it will get better on it’s own. I’m worried about putting her through surgery but I don’t want her to get arthritis and be in pain so I’m going to talk to a few different vets to see what we can do.

Sounds like a good plan. You don't want to do surgery unless you have to, but you don't want the dog to be in pain or to have health complications. I also doubt it will get better on its own. That was something that would happen to a puppy or a very young dog.

• @zande Acupuncture sounds like a great idea. I’ll talk to my vet about it and see if that can help her

Suggested Topics