Basenji + ? other dog breeds ?

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Cats and dogs and other mammals that have more than one offspring at a time can have a different sire for each offspring. (Technical term: superfecundation.) That still doesn't affect the NEXT litter. It is simply biologically impossible. I don't have to be "an expert on cats"... I have a fairly solid understanding of biology and genetics. The "bloodlines change" is, simply, impossible. Whatever old wives tales people might believe, it is, in fact, not biologically possible.

This forum or any forum, anyone with a basic biology and genetics understanding will tell you the same thing if you post that.

You aren't the only person who has wondered/thought the same thing. So... here is a professional answering it, with also an explanation.

What about future litters? There is never any lasting affect from the genetic input from a previous father. So you can breed her to any male you want after this. <<

https://www.drjeffnichol.com/different-fathers-for-the-same-litter/

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @mvdperez said in Basenji + ? other dog breeds ?:

How are things in Israel? I pray you are safe.

Thank you. I am in Haifa which is probably the safest area, also the place where coexisting is at least the ideal. It's rather encouraging to have Jewish, Muslim and Christian shops' owners and employees come out calling the Samoyed's name (Moose).

Oddly enough, here we are, closer to Africa and I have yet to see another Basenji. But we've met several Samoyeds!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Oddly enough, here we are, closer to Africa and I have yet to see another Basenji. But we've met several Samoyeds!

When I was still breeding Siberian Huskies, I sold a pup to a family from Jerusalem who eventually moved back and took the Sibe back with them. They didn't consider it odd that they would have that type of a breed there, their neighbours back home always had a Keeshound.
    -Joanne

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• Does anyone have any experience with using 'booties' on Basenji in the Winter? *

Yes, as I wrote on the other thread. I used Muttluks quite successfully with my last two boys.

*Wow. How do they survive in the heat? They must never grow their Winter coats, I am assuming?

The coat insulates both ways, it insulates against the sun too. Our Sibes would lay in the sun as much as the Basenjis would.The worst thing you could do for dogs like that is to shaved that coat off.
    -Joanne

• We live outside Phoenix Arizona and the heat here is scorching but our dog does OK. He does have full access to our airconditioned home, and we always exercise at dawn during the summer.

• A pretty simple test for a Basenji is behavioral. If your pup is sweet, and yours looks like she is, then she is likely not a Basenji. If she's a total PITA then she is!

Only kidding. (Sort of). Anyway, as others have said, the only real way to find out is the DNA test. Hard to determine on looks (or behavior). Till then keep enjoying your canine companion.

• @mvdperez
    We run the air all the time, keeping it under 70. It's cooling off some so he's fine. She is under the covers because we keep it cold. He goes out early morning, quick midday, then longer in the evening. We keep his coat stripped down. I have no idea if it will get cold enough to get a winter coat. It's not generally COLD here.

Suggested Topics