• Hey guys, just curious about something that happens maybe once a month.

My 2.5 yr old tends to clean himself like any other basenji, but some mornings I wake up to the sound of him overly licking his areas. Then 5min later he's barfing almost like a cat barfing up a hairball. Sometimes it's yellow bile, other times it's kibble. It is summer so paws are probably rough even though we keep them pretty clean and protected. Most times he's back to normal by end of day eating normally.

Any experiences with a barfing basenji?

• Grooming is normal. However excessive licking is likely because their stomach is off. When my Bandit feels sick, he licks excessively. Two things help, first three or four smaller meals throughout the day help stop the yellow bile. Secondly not overfeeding helps, if he overeats he will be sick. I am sure a good quality possibly grain free diet helps some dogs too, as mine sometimes has allergies.

• Make sure you give him a very late snack so his stomach isn't empty. You may also want to try an acid reducer for a few months and see if that stops it.

I don't do small meals, but I do 2 regular and 2 snacks because otherwise Cara throws up, often.

Suggested Topics