• I am glad you got a GOOD report! Thanks for the update!!

• @etzbseder:

Well, we are back from the vet. I am told not to worry about the infection I thought he had, it's probably just him growing up and it being mating season. as for his let, he has a swollen knee and I should keep him from stressing it and have him eat 1/4 pill 2x a day of an anti-inflamitory/pain killer, like tylenol (i think).in a week, i will return and see if he is better and if an x-ray is needed.

Hopefully NOT Tylenol..as acetaminaphen is toxic for most dogs. Hopefully it was something the vet perscribed. Is it is his knee (rear leg), or his elbow (front leg). If it is his rear leg, he may have a bad patella. They can pop in and out, the dog can appear to be limping, and then be fine.

• @Quercus:

Hopefully NOT Tylenol..as acetaminaphen is toxic for most dogs. Hopefully it was something the vet perscribed. Is it is his knee (rear leg), or his elbow (front leg). If it is his rear leg, he may have a bad patella. They can pop in and out, the dog can appear to be limping, and then be fine.

Good points Andrea (especially the Tylenol)… I was wondering the same thing if it was his patella. but if there was swelling, could just be joint problems... or joint problems leading to something more serious

• it was his front left leg and his elbow was a little swolen, but even now it's doing better, and no , not tylenol. the vet gave me "Rimady"

• @etzbseder:

it was his front left leg and his elbow was a little swolen, but even now it's doing better, and no , not tylenol. the vet gave me "Rimady"

Be very careful with Rimady….. and you can seach the internet about it... (and should)... short term should not be a problem (usually) but it does/can have terrible side effects

• This may sound gross but-Shadow sometimes does not clean himself enough-I put a little corn syrup near his opening on his sheath and he starts to clean himself again.

• @nomrbddgs:

This may sound gross but-Shadow sometimes does not clean himself enough-I put a little corn syrup near his opening on his sheath and he starts to clean himself again.

I would be a bit concerned that some would get into his urethra and start a UTI. I think maybe a baby wipe might be a bit safer for cleaning those areas.

• While I've got people looking at this, my B also has a minor umbilical hernia, I was wondering, how big of an issue is it, and should I get him fixed. Do the potential problems get overweighed by the benefits?

• @etzbseder:

While I've got people looking at this, my B also has a minor umbilical hernia, I was wondering, how big of an issue is it, and should I get him fixed. Do the potential problems get overweighed by the benefits?

Umbilical hernia are NO problem… 75% of all Basenjis have them... when you have him neutered they can fix it then.

A couple of my girls had quite large ones and were never a problem not even then they whelped litters

• @etzbseder:

While I've got people looking at this, my B also has a minor umbilical hernia, I was wondering, how big of an issue is it, and should I get him fixed. Do the potential problems get overweighed by the benefits?

That is usually not a big deal. The majority of Basenjis are born with umbilical hernias.

Should you get him fixed? As in neutered? Yes. Should you get the hernia fixed? They could do it when they neuter him if it bothers you…but it isn't a health concern unless it is quite big.

Suggested Topics