Skip to content

Basenji like cats?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Hey guys, just curious about something that happens maybe once a month.

    My 2.5 yr old tends to clean himself like any other basenji, but some mornings I wake up to the sound of him overly licking his areas. Then 5min later he's barfing almost like a cat barfing up a hairball. Sometimes it's yellow bile, other times it's kibble. It is summer so paws are probably rough even though we keep them pretty clean and protected. Most times he's back to normal by end of day eating normally.

    Any experiences with a barfing basenji?

  • Grooming is normal. However excessive licking is likely because their stomach is off. When my Bandit feels sick, he licks excessively. Two things help, first three or four smaller meals throughout the day help stop the yellow bile. Secondly not overfeeding helps, if he overeats he will be sick. I am sure a good quality possibly grain free diet helps some dogs too, as mine sometimes has allergies.

  • Make sure you give him a very late snack so his stomach isn't empty. You may also want to try an acid reducer for a few months and see if that stops it.

    I don't do small meals, but I do 2 regular and 2 snacks because otherwise Cara throws up, often.

Suggested Topics

  • IBS in basenji

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    3 Votes
    15 Posts
    10k Views
    ZandeZ
    @jengosmonkey That is a very interesting link. My girl suffered none of the possible side effects. No lethargy, listlessness, weight gain and her shape remained immaculate till the day she died. But she no longer suffered from IBS.
  • Basenji skirts

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    Kipawa's skirt - it isn't big, but I actually love running my fingers over it. :)
  • Basenji dental

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    37
    0 Votes
    37 Posts
    25k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @tanza: LOL …. so hmm... great weather = higher Vet costs... makes perfect sense to me!!! LOL great weather equals more want to live there. More want to live there, drives real estate costs up. Increased real estate costs drives other expenses up. LOL, it does make some sense. But then, wth is up with NYC which has icky weather? Oh wait, massive overcrowding, never mind.
  • Itching Basenji!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    15
    0 Votes
    15 Posts
    12k Views
    nobarkusN
    It's most likely a yeast infection. They get it in the ears quite often. Buddy has a yeast infection right now on his stomach.
  • Is it a Basenji???

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    11k Views
    MandyM
    I have gotten the comment of min doberman. lol…. could have been her spiked Harley collar.
  • Basenji with problems

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    22
    0 Votes
    22 Posts
    14k Views
    QuercusQ
    @etzbseder: While I've got people looking at this, my B also has a minor umbilical hernia, I was wondering, how big of an issue is it, and should I get him fixed. Do the potential problems get overweighed by the benefits? That is usually not a big deal. The majority of Basenjis are born with umbilical hernias. Should you get him fixed? As in neutered? Yes. Should you get the hernia fixed? They could do it when they neuter him if it bothers you…but it isn't a health concern unless it is quite big.