• @yodelma whew! Totally thought it was serious and I just, well, couldn't imagine!

• Well my sister did let her cattle dog ride on her horse with her. Does that count? LOL or you could get a sidecar or back cart for your dog.

• @debradownsouth Actually planning on teaching 'BUG' to run alongside the bike as a way to help satisfy her exercise needs. That said, I am going to order a "K9 Sport Sack" for her so that she isn't running on dangerous roads - and also so she has a place to go if she gets tired...

• I found that when I have little time, I let our two sisters sniff around all they like. It engages their whole being, including their easily overexcited B-brains. When I thake them back in after half an hour they will sleep all day. Running is fine, but it does nothing for their brain or their instinctive need to explore their surroundings. If pressed for time, I would choose sniffing over jogging or biking any time.

• @kjdonkers i didn’t try the bike yet, as he is too young but I agree on the sniffing part.

• @kjdonkers Sniffing isn't being neglected. I don't force Bug to walk in a "Heel" position unless we are passing others (dogs or people) on the trail. I take her on three types of walks.

1. "Hurry Up!" meaning find a spot to do whatever you need to do so we can go back inside,

2. "Umwelt" (oom velt) which is German and (loosly translated) means: to explore/percieve your environment, and

3. "Fun!" which is the only way to describe her when I take her out on the local trails.

Spoiled little girl.

• I agree sniffing is great. Sadly we are now in Israel where the parks and walks are filthy and sniffing strongly discouraged. 😞

• @debradownsouth as a born Israeli, I protest and don’t agree to this conclusive definition. At least you are far away from your very brilliant, smart, educated so-called president. Don’t fly to any Arab country. You may be forced to stay outside of USA. What you know? You may need to live beside those parks.

• You can protest all you want...I've never seen filthier streets. The massive cat feces from the unbelievable amount of feral cats, the dog owners who don't pick up their dog's waste. One of the main killers of dogs in Israel is parkworm. Allowing your dog to sniff around put it at risk of eating grass, dead animals, feces etc of infected animals.

The disease is spread via infected dung beetles. The dogs eat the infected dung beetles in the feces or leftover food in which the beetle lives. Such organic materials are found throughout the country, generally in grassy areas such as parks and public gardens. Dogs can also be infected if they eat an animal that has eaten an infected dung beetle, for example: bird, mouse, lizard, and so on.

Progression of the disease

Spirocerca lupi larvae live in the body of infected dung beetles. As a dog ingests the infected dung beetle (or a mouse or bird who has eaten a dung beetle), the larvae are released in the dog’s stomach. From there, larvae travel through the stomach lining and the aorta to the esophagus, where they mature and lay eggs. The eggs are then secreted in the dog's feces and eaten by the dung beetle. Thus the infectious circle is spread. A mature worm can penetrate the trachea, lungs, stomach, kidneys, muscle sheath, and under the skin.

Damage and symptoms of the disease

Larvae damage: In their travels, larvae can damage blood vessels and tissue, which often results in internal bleeding.

Worm damage: The worms can cause aorta and spinal column injury. Once encysted, the worm can cause various forms of tumors.

Symptoms of the disease can vary, if there are symptoms at all. Signs can include cough, difficulty breathing, salivation, difficulty swallowing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, or even sudden death resulting from massive internal bleeding.

Treatment

Treatment by injection with Ivomec or Dormectin is given after diagnosis of infection to destroy the larvae or mature worms in the body of the dog. However, diagnosis is usually made too late, during a postmortem examination.

Dogs are exposed to Spirocerca lupi infection daily, while walking in parks, public gardens, grassy areas, open fields and even private gardens. Because of the great danger of infection and the fast spread of the worm throughout the country, it is important to take preventive action. In order to reduce the spread of the disease, you should:

Have your dogs vaccinated by your veterinarian every 3 months with Ivomec or Dormectin to kill any parasites that might be in the system before they can cause damage.

Walk your dogs with a muzzle (especially in park areas), if they tend to eat everything.

Don’t allow your dogs to wander freely without a leash.

Prevent your dogs from eating stool or grass (where the dung beetles may be present).

Collect your dogs' stool in public areas and throw it into garbage cans, thus helping to reduce the number of infected animals.<<

• @mshilo said in starting jogging:

@debradownsouth as a born Israeli, I protest and don’t agree to this conclusive definition. At least you are far away from your very brilliant, smart, educated so-called president. Don’t fly to any Arab country. You may be forced to stay outside of USA. What you know? You may need to live beside those parks.<<

Btw, I am officially Israeli. This isn't a political board; not sure why you went on about things but I'll stick with the dog topic. The streets are filthy.

• This post is deleted!

• @debradownsouth Your way to address Israel is also filthy.

• @debradownsouth As a farewell, you wrote "Sadly we are now in Israel"
    I hope you will leave Israel soon, and be happy again, in another place. Take care, or not. Shalom.

• I would do only one walking myself.
    Best thing for a basenji is to lure training with other basenjis

• @mshilo said in starting jogging:
    @debradownsouth Your way to address Israel is also filthy....
    "Sadly we are now in Israel"
    I hope you will leave Israel soon, and be happy again, in another place. Take care, or not. Shalom.<<<

Your personal attack is uncalled for. You truly turned a comment about filthy streets and dogs sniffing into some way out there melodrama. Not that it is any of your business, but I love Israel. Also, I have working brain cells, I can love Israel (or anything) and not be blinded to problems. I cannot imagine ever leaving. This is my home. It is a bit sad that you want to twist one comment into attacking me, wanting me out of the country, and globalizing one complaint with me being unhappy in general here. How about you try to keep your posts about dogs and keep your nastiness over an imagined slight off the boards.

As for streets here... veterinarians agree they and parks create health issues. I travel around the city and see yards used as dumps, people actually dropping trash out of windows, and watching the ground so I don't step in dog or cat feces.

It isn't my imagination. But hey, if you must attack people who can easily take photos to show the problem, read the below and go use your energy attacking others who agree they are filthy:

http://blogs.timesofisrael.com/lets-start-a-war-on-waste/

https://www.haaretz.com/.premium-the-dirt-on-a-dirty-israel-1.5331089

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Israel-so-dirty-compared-to-other-developed-countries

• Did you come from the USA?
    If i recall correctly your country produces 30% of the world pollution, with 4% population.
    If you don’t understand why it’s rude to say something global like” Israel streets so and so” I can’t teach you. I hope you will find your happiness somewhere else.
    Why, don’t you leave a place that you sad to be in, and go away?

No need to answer. I don’t read your comments.

• @mshilo

Israel IS my country. Get over it. And truth is neither rude nor polite. The streets here are filthy. How sad that you think that view means all of the country is poisoned for me. You are a very unhappy person to spew such nonsense.

• @mshilo Seriously? I get that you were (possibly) offended by a comment regarding the lack of public hygiene. If your responses were on the same topic, I would be far more sympathetic. But comments regarding the USA and our political leader(?) leave the impression that you are immature and uneducated.

The majority (if not all) of US city/municiple areas have laws addressing the cleanliness of public areas. In other words, "Pick up the Poop" your pets leave behind. The key concept is that it will make a huge difference in public sanitation and the prevention of the spread of diseases. And yes, canine/feline feces do contain diseases/illnesses (some of which can be spread to humans).

Not everyone is considerate enough to do it, but those that do are making a difference. Those that don't are also displaying immature and uneducated attitiudes. shrug So, "DebbieDownSouth's" observation of the condition of the local streets in the area where she is living - is probably on par for what the average US citizen would feel if they were faced with the same.

I hope that, one day, you get to see how much nicer it is to live where the air is fresh(er) and you do not have to worry so much about what path your feet take you.

• We were warned before coming that if we could train the dogs to wear boots, it would help. That veterinarian sites warn that it's a serious problem, it isn't judging..it's a reality, just like the massive feral cats.

• @elbrant i thing that it’s immature and uneducated to describe Israel streets as fielthy, by one that came new to a country, and probably doesn’t familiar enough with the entire country’s streets and policy. I’m sure that lady didn’t visit my home place, nor many other places in Israel.

As an American or past American that is new to Israel, coming from a land that produces 30% of the world pollution I would be happy to find much more humble and correct; therefore instead Of “ sadly, I’m in Israel, Israel streets are dirty”, something like “ sadly in my area the streets are dirty”.
    Your comments about my personality, even you have PhD in psychology, are denied. I have never addressed any personality issues here, only the mare arrogant, false remark by someone that not long ago came to Israel and is not familiar with all the streets in Israel.

Suggested Topics