Dog Flu Is Spreading — Here's What You Need To Know To Keep Your Pup Safe

• @imbj Not that having a sick dog isn't nerve-racking... I just don't usually put a lot of weight into stories on "the dodo". If it was coming from the American Veteranarian Association, yes. But the Dodo?

• There are a number of articles out there about the recent outbreak, and it is real.

"Two dogs with H3N2 canine influenza were eventually imported to Essex County, marking the first time the respiratory disease, which has rapidly spread across Asia and parts of the U.S., made its way into Canada."

article

Or if you prefer a U.S. souce: Time

• @eeeefarm I feel like you misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not concerned about the nation the article originated from, but rather the legitimacy of the news itself. I don't consider the 'Dodo' as a high-quality news source. If I'm concerned about Pet Health matters, I want a veteranarian authority to validate the information I'm researching. I don't care if the info is from the US, Canada, the Netherlands, or any other nation. I care about the info coming from legitimate sources that have a vested interest in making sure they are passing along verified information.

The article on the "Dodo" is sensationalizing it. Saying there are cases on both coasts is suggesting that it's spread across the country. Then when you read the other articles, it sounds like there are less than 100 cases. Not as alarming when you consider how many dogs exist around the world.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be aware of Canine Flu. Having knowledge is always a good thing. Especially when we share information like the symptoms, or what to watch out for. Will there be additional cases? Certainly. But, I don't think we need to run around like Chicken Little either.

• @elbrant said in Dog Flu Is Spreading — Here's What You Need To Know To Keep Your Pup Safe:

@eeeefarm I feel like you misunderstood what I was saying........
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't be aware of Canine Flu. Having knowledge is always a good thing. Especially when we share information like the symptoms, or what to watch out for. Will there be additional cases? Certainly. But, I don't think we need to run around like Chicken Little either.

Nor do I. But your original post struck me as dismissive, and the dog flu is a real threat in the areas where it has spread. My niece is a veterinarian and she is very aware that there have been cases an hour's drive from us, so of course she is keeping a close eye on things in our area. Dog flu has been around for awhile in the States, actually since 2004 and mostly in racing Greyhounds, but the more recent outbreak seems to have gotten going in 2015, with more outbreaks in 2017. The media appears to have gotten hold of it recently because of the increase in cases.

Interestingly, it appears to have made a cross species jump from horses to dogs, back in 2004. Because the symptoms are a lot like kennel cough, it's useful to know it's around. The morbidity rate is estimated at 80%, so it's something you don't want to expose your dog to, although the mortality rate is only between 8 and 10 percent. BTW, cats can also be infected. More here.

• @eeeefarm oh, I wasn't trying to suggest that "dog flu" wasn't/isn't serious - especially when your dog has it. I was just saying, "should we really be relying on "the Dodo" for news integrity?"

• @elbrant said in Dog Flu Is Spreading — Here's What You Need To Know To Keep Your Pup Safe:

"

Wow. While that's not a research or medical site, it gave good links. I'm with Shirley, not any way I can spin your post as anything but a slap to the poster. Not many people are more rigidly insistent on facts and science than me, but no need to post a putdown. Easy to have said "Here are some better sources" ...don't you think?

And for the dismissive comment about not that many, how about you take a look at the spread since it began. For show and performance dog owners, knowing what new states, even if only one known dog, is important info to have. Hopefully my source meets your requirements.
    https://www.dogflu.com/outbreak-map

• @debradownsouth omgosh... all I said was that I don't generally trust the "Dodo" for my news. That's all. Like, I don't rely on Wikipedia if I'm checking on potential health issues for myself. Doesn't mean that Wiki won't have the information, just that I feel more comfortable getting the information from someone like, the "Mayo Clinic". I still like Wiki - even donate to their organization (annually). But you know what -- it's just my opinion. Going on and on and on about it isn't going to change my mind.

• I agree, the Dodo does have a tendancy to sensationalize, 'tho they do bring some pet health concerns to the attention of Facebook members who might not otherwise be plugged into the dog network. I remember reading that Dodo post myself and thinking "Meh, whatever!" UNTIL I got to the part about dog flu getting to Canada via rescued Soi dogs from asia...Lol, DONALD TRUMP could be tweeting this info and I'd still perk up my ears and do some research 'cuz IMO we really can't afford to ignore animal viruses originating in Asia...

• @yodelma
    That's the point exactly...it gives exposure to people who may not read professional sources. Sadly today, there's few nonscientific sites that don't participate in
    sensationalism.

• @debradownsouth true... it is sad that we are in a position where we should all double check - even with sources we trust to be reliable. "Editors" don't seem to have the same job responsibilities today as they did a few decades ago.

• @yodelma Yes, the information about the flu coming in from imported dogs was alarming. What struck me was that the dogs (in question) were properly vetted and quarantined - and they still missed it. Perhaps the receiving vets weren't informed from the sending vets (beware: potential flu carriers)...

Suggested Topics