Skip to content

Basenji Treats (training)

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Horses to Dogs

    Basenji Talk
    10
    1 Votes
    10 Posts
    17k Views
    KembeK
    @EmKayLyn Another suggestion - you should also read “Don’t Do the Breed a Disservice” and the “Zande Put-Off” @ https://www.zandebasenjs.com
  • 2 Votes
    14 Posts
    15k Views
    ZandeZ
    @jeimygirl I have added him to the database and he will appear as soon as I finish playing catch-up with today's incoming litters. So you will be able to see his ancestors very soon ! It is very easy to add his registration number and change his name at need. Email me photos as he matures and get photos of Mom and Dad too if you can - they really bring the pedigrees to life.
  • 1 Votes
    11 Posts
    13k Views
    V
    Nice post, glad to be here.
  • Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    -1 Votes
    4 Posts
    10k Views
    D
    Where I am it costs about $2K+ for a dog from a breeder for just about any breed. Goldens may be less because the litters are so large. That may seem like a lot, but, as Debra mentions, dogs cost money to care for. After vet bills and boarding fees and food, it matters little what the dog cost to acquire. Leaving true puppy mills out of the discussion, given the costs of being a responsible breeder -- testing, vet bills, feeding -- and how much work breeding is, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the money. That leads to two problems for people looking for dogs. One is that since breeding isn't really lucrative, there aren't a ton of breeders, which means the supply of pups is low. Second is that most Basenji breeders want to place their pups in the best possible homes -- remember they aren't doing it for the money -- which means they're looking for people who have had Basenjis before. Something of a Catch-22.
  • Training him or me?

    Basenji Talk
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    2k Views
    S
    If you use a squirt bottle, you will only have to spray the b a few times before they get the message…at least, that works in my house.
  • Basenji Traits Your Basenji Doesn't Have…

    Basenji Talk
    32
    0 Votes
    32 Posts
    34k Views
    M
    My Rue is pretty perfect. She is mixed with something (I don't know what) so she doesn't look like a real B… and she isn't interested in anything in our house (chewing wise), doesn't bolt out the door, and licks like CRAZY! She also doesn't really like to play with other dogs at the dog park, she just smells them, occasionally chases them, then comes back and lays down by me (EXERCISE DANG IT!). The only normal B behaviors that I see in her are the little noises that she makes (she makes a lot of them for different reasons) and her BAROOOOOOO (which is fitting because we named her Rue before we even knew she was a Basenji) and it seems like she is stubborn about sitting. It's like she is saying, "yeah I know you want me to sit, but first I'm gonna spin around in a circle. Then maybe I'll sit if I feel like it." Haha! She is a character!