Skip to content

Basenji Treats (training)

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • 2 Votes
    14 Posts
    16k Views
    ZandeZ
    @jeimygirl I have added him to the database and he will appear as soon as I finish playing catch-up with today's incoming litters. So you will be able to see his ancestors very soon ! It is very easy to add his registration number and change his name at need. Email me photos as he matures and get photos of Mom and Dad too if you can - they really bring the pedigrees to life.
  • 1 Votes
    11 Posts
    13k Views
    V
    Nice post, glad to be here.
  • New basenji owner!!

    Member Introductions
    13
    4 Votes
    13 Posts
    16k Views
    S
    @mvdperez Thank you! She truly has been such a great addition to our family :)
  • 0 Votes
    16 Posts
    24k Views
    R
    First, thank you for the honest evaluation of your situation. Basenjis are dogs that consider who they live wit, to be part of their pack - family. They only chew or destroy things when they are bored, or mad at you. (Yes, I know people will disagree, but I have had basenjis for 25 years and have witnessed this activity. This included one dog jumping on the table, with me sitting 3 feet away, and peeing in a circle, as if saying, "There, take that!”) A young basenji, under say, 8 years, will do this when left alone for so long. (Yes, I know people will disagree, but I have had basenjis for 25 years and have witnessed this activity. This included one dog jumping on the table, with me sitting 3 feet away, and peeing in a circle, as if saying, "There, take that!) You write that you live with 3 roommates. You do not mention if this will change, so I will assume it will not. Personally, I think it is very unkind (to them AND the dog) of you to bring a basenji into this living arrangement. Unless ALL the roommates understand, and agree, to sharing their lives with a dog that will require so much of their time. The tiniest thing left on the floor could be destroyed, and could even harm the dog. Bathroom doors left open? A basenji might not be able to find anything as much fun, grab the toilet paper, and run. Fun, fun, fun!!! For the dog. You are researching enough to show that you are checking really well to see if a basenji will fit into your life. In my opinion, not just yet. Maybe later when your life has settled a bit. Oh, just remembered you mentioning you studying, the dog doing its thing. It might happen, but if the dog thinks your attention should be on him/her, you may not like that something. Best of luck in your studies, and with where ever your life leads you!
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Basenji nightmare at dog training

    Basenji Talk
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    7k Views
    BaMicaB
    I have been taking Mica to a "rally-1" obedience training at the novice level. This involves doing sit, down, 360/270/turns, left turn, right turn, walk slow, walk normal or fast, weave inbetween cones, and she likes it as a challenge to do things alot of it is at the "heeling" side and than there is front and around the back to the side, too - But I think she will be going to an agility class someday - she likes to balance on and walk for 10-12 feet on logs in the water by the swamp, and also across the dried river beds in the woods, and run through the culvert at the dog park. She has also jumped through a hoop at the dog park. It seems to challenge her. She likes to be kept active. BaMicas mom