Does my dog look like he could be part Basenji?

• This is Koby. He is 3 and a half years old. I adopted him from a shelter a little over 2 years ago and they had him listed as an Australian Cattle Dog mix. I don't see the ACD in him. His temperament is also like a Basenji's.0_1505332269493_IMG_20160926_122413625_1.jpg

• Here are a couple other photos.0_1505332489559_IMG_20150823_161743860_1.jpg 0_1505332496721_20170805_172440_1.jpg

• The only way you'll get any real answers is with a dna test. I frankly see more boxer than basenji, but the markings and some things are basenji -like. How big is he .. height at shoulder and weight.

No matter what he is, he's very cute. 🙂

• Looks like he is part Basenji. Hints: Basenji's are SO hilarious! They cannot stand to be dirty or smell bad; they prune themselves like cats so always smell really sweet. Don't usually bark, but will sometimes yodel or "Barrrooooo" and run in "B52 circles". Basenji's are very precious, yet are mischievous & often bad! They'll make you love them to the bone, make you smile, then make you grit your teeth. They might chew up things you love (my wedding shoes, scarfs, and Japanese paint brushes.) Most basenji's are escape artists, fence climbers, roof jumpers, and run wild (stampede) until you both pass out from running. Instead of fur, they have hide like a horse, so they smell sweet and never get fleas. Have fun! Let me know what you find out. Leigh Reagan

• @Victoria A very up post, but all basenjis are not the same. Some do smell, they have hair like many other dogs. And they most certainly can and do get fleas.

• We’re considering adopting this pup. Does she look like a Basenji?! ![2_1509393159638_DB82DAB8-83A7-479D-9B80-F3EEE5EE7C66.jpeg](Uploading 6%) ![1_1509393159637_CC80DCA6-F559-4AD8-81DF-C60D86B88473.jpeg](Uploading 6%) ![0_1509393159630_F9F96CE4-F924-463A-8BFF-9C5F5548A892.jpeg](Uploading 6%)

• I've had three basenji's. Not one flea and never stinky. They have a hide like a horse. Not fur like a dog. That's what Basenji Rescue and my vets told me. Basenji's are my most favorite living thing on this earth!
    I once had 2 black labs who were so loving but stunk, shed lots of fur and had lots of fleas.
    Your dog is sooooo cute! I hope you both have a blessed life.

• This post is deleted!

• @Victoria said in Does my dog look like he could be part Basenji?:

I've had three basenji's. Not one flea and never stinky. They have a hide like a horse. Not fur like a dog. That's what Basenji Rescue and my vets told me. Basenji's are my most favorite living thing on this earth!
    I once had 2 black labs who were so loving but stunk, shed lots of fur and had lots of fleas.
    Your dog is sooooo cute! I hope you both have a blessed life.

If a basenji rescue or your vet told you they don't get fleas, never smell and have "hide like a horse. Not fur like a dog." you are dealing with some impressively uninformed people. Basenjis TEND to not have as much "doggy"smell, but many do. As for the hide like a horse, I'm just shaking my head. Like any short coated dog, they still are "like a dog"... their coats don't get longer. Some breeds are double coated, some dogs are single coats. But they are still like dogs, not horse hide. As for the fleas... G-d help me, I cannot imagine the ignorance of someone telling you they don't get fleas. My dogs almost never get fleas either because we treat our yard and perimeter every several years and rarely get them. You can bet they'd pick up fleas if we took them to a place with fleas

Shedding? Of course they shed.
    Basenjirescue.org

The short answer is that SOME Basenjis shed minimally, while others have a heavier undercoat and shed a LOT! The variation is primarily genetic, but the undercoat is also influenced by environmental factors, such as whether the dog lives where winters are cold and whether it spends a lot of time outdoors..<<

AKC BASENJI STANDARD: Coat and Color: Coat short and fine. Skin very pliant.

Basenji Club of America: >>Check your dog's coat. .. Look for any bald spots or evidence of fleas.<<
    https://www.basenji.org/BasenjiU/Owner/Handbook/HandPDF/HealthOG.pdf

I am sorry that a rescue and your vet gave you misinformation and that you have taken your limited experience to assume it is true for all basenjis. The closest "true" one is odors.. but some have hormone/thyroid/skin disorders, and they do smell. Some aren't doggy smelling, but still not pleasant. The belief that they don't get fleas is a dangerous one. Dogs need to be protected from fleas.

• Mrs. Debra wrote to us –
    I am sorry that a rescue and your vet gave you misinformation and that
    **** you have taken your ***** limited experience to assume ****
    it is true for all basenjis. The belief that they don't get fleas is dangerous.

REPLY TO Mrs. Debra –
    We are sorry that our post irritated your temper,
    however, I wrote about OUR experience, NOT YOURS:
    We said – "I've had 3 basenji's. Not one flea and never stinky."
    My brother has 3 basenji's – not one flea and never stinky.
    I donate lots of funds to BRAT and other Basenji Rescue Orgs.

As newcomers, we felt your post to us was so rude and hurtful.
    I have chronic heart failure, and that hurt my heart.
    Please do not ever reply to us again. If you do, we will resign
    and spread the word.

Hope you have a better day,
    Victoria & Robert,
    Basenji Lovers

• Ms Victoria, if someone correcting your highly misinformed information makes your heart hurt; if you see the desire for people to get real information about a breed so they can make informed decisions, is delegated to a "temper", the internet may be too harsh a place for you.

Please feel free to resign and spread the world wherever you like. Such childish "I'll take my ball and go home, oh and I'll tell people you didn't respond how I wanted to" really does nothing to me.

For the record, you didn't say YOUR experiences.. you said

They cannot stand to be dirty or smell bad; they prune themselves like cats so always smell really sweet. Don't usually bark, but will sometimes yodel or "Barrrooooo" and run in "B52 circles". Basenji's are very precious, yet are mischievous & often bad! They'll make you love them to the bone, make you smile, then make you grit your teeth. They might chew up things you love (my wedding shoes, scarfs, and Japanese paint brushes.) Most basenji's are escape artists, fence climbers, roof jumpers, and run wild (stampede) until you both pass out from running. Instead of fur, they have hide like a horse, so they smell sweet and never get fleas. Have fun! Let me know what you find out. Leigh Reagan<<
    And then you insisted not only is it true, but that your vet and rescue said so.. ""I've had three basenji's. Not one flea and never stinky. They have a hide like a horse. Not fur like a dog. That's what Basenji Rescue and my vets told me.""

I'm pretty sure that isn't stated as your experience, but as fact, and then maligning basenji rescue and your vet as backing the misinformation. Tut tut.

• @Victoria said in Does my dog look like he could be part Basenji?:

As newcomers, we felt your post to us was so rude and hurtful.
    I have chronic heart failure, and that hurt my heart.

Just a heads up... many people have serious health issues. We don't drag them out to excuse our behaviors, lies, or even harsh posts.

As for rude and hurtful.. I didn't attack you, but you did me. Hopefully while you are "spreading the word" you'll have the integrity to post the posts and let others see the actual posts. 🙂

Suggested Topics