Advice for potential first-time basenji owners

• @dogelover He is a handsome little fella' for sure!! He's a retired show dog? My 1st. B looked a lot like him & she was a retired little show girl.

• @Nancy-Berry Yes, he is soon to be retired after this show season, I think. We wouldn't be able to get him until June.

• @dogelover Gives you time to get ready for him! Put things that you highly value.. up high where he can't get to them. Both of my B's came from the same breeder. The 1st, retired show girl, was just turning 4 when I got her. She was born in July ~ one of those oddities I guess. She took about 3 days to settle down when I got her home. By the end of the 1st day, I was wondering if maybe I didn't do enough research on the breed & that I'd made a mistake!!! I swear....she was FLYING like a wild bird!! But I hung in there & she settled down & she never tore any of my things up! Sometimes, she'd get close to me & take that perfect set of teeth & pinch the living crap out of me!! As soon as she did it, she'd go ricky-racing thru the apartment 5 or 6 times!! Then I'd put her collar on & take her out to the bathroom & a walk. A lot of people say that she was nipping playfully! BULL!! lol She was pinching me & it usually left a little bruise! But she was awesome! I got her neice when she passed. She was a great dog too! I just lost her Aug. 24, 2016. Been doing some dog fostering since, keeps me occupied. Just found out a little bit ago that I'll be taking this B towards her forever home next month. Not to sure I want to do this anymore, it's taking a lot out of me ~ emotionally but, as everyone says, "It is what it is." But you're going to have such a great time with your youngster! Take loads of pictures!!

• @Nancy-Berry Hahaha! Your first sounds like such a mischievous (and awesome) dog! Our neighbor's B who we played with a week ago also pinches me with his teeth! I had bruises on my legs and feet. He wanted me to play with him, but then he would run away from me really fast. Such a clown! I'm sorry about the loss of your second girl - I'm still not over my beagle who passed in July 2013, I think about him every day. I see you are in Indiana - I am from Ohio (but live in DC now) - midwest is the best!!! my brother is currently studying at DePauw in Greencastle, IN.

• @dogelover I'm originally from Kansas. I might head out that way to see my Dad (91 yrs. old) & brother, after I hand off the B I'm taking care of right now. My Dad's old but still has his wits about him! Went there last yr. & that was the 1st. time in 31 yrs. since I'd seen him. I didn't get there before my Mother passed in 2015 so I hadn't seen her for 30 yrs. And I hadn't seen my brother since I was home last in 1975. It was really a nice visit but I had a dog sitter staying with my dog, so I knew when I got home... my Dorie would be waiting! That was in June & then she passed in Aug. They seem to stay really healthy, for the most part, until the very last day or two. But once you've been loved by a Basenji.... it's like a love you never had before!! Bcoz they're so ... special!!

• @Nancy-Berry I've never been to Kansas - Hope you have a good trip there! One more photo to share (who doesn't love puppy pictures!!!) This is our potential B at 8 weeks...0_1490972181828_12983356_1334869493196661_3637446451645909222_o.jpg

• @dogelover I made a mistake ... people say that B's "bite playfully" ~ but I say they "pinch" when they want to surprise you into playing! They are soooo funny ~ the things they do!! You're in for loads of fun!! Enjoy!

• @dogelover Awwww ~ I'm jealous now!! He's sooo cute!!!

• The 4 yr old.. how long do they think it will take to settle him down?

Good luck on the other dog. He is adorable!

• @DebraDownSouth They think he will take at least a couple months if not more. He is biting when they try to put a leash on or put him in the crate. They are thinking of sending him away for intensive training 😞

• That's really too bad. Both are behaviors I would think they could work with. 😞 I hope they get things okay with him. 😞

• @dogelover The older B was with another family & then returned to the breeder?? I agree with Deb - those are behaviors but I wonder what (or IF anything in particular) happened that he "acquired" those behaviors!! I
    hope they get it worked out with the little fella' ... I feel bad for the B & the humans too! 😞

• @dogelover said in Advice for potential first-time basenji owners:

He is biting when they try to put a leash on or put him in the crate. They are thinking of sending him away for intensive training 😞

I would think a good clicker trainer could sort that in very short order. Make it his idea to go into the crate or come to be leashed. The crate thing would be the easiest, the leash thing a tad harder but getting him to come to you when you hold out the leash would be key. Not taking hold of him physically but getting him to offer the behaviour is the way to go. Once he trusts his handler then one could work toward defusing the reaction to physical placement.

• Neither would be all that difficult to retrain. Treats treats treats !

Put the leash on the floor and a treat or two on it - when he accepts that put the leash in your hand which also has treat - then the leash in one hand treat in the other - then touch him with the leash while feeding a treat (go back a step if he doesn't like this) - then snap the leach on while feeding, etc etc you get the idea. At any time if he tries to bite go back a step until he is comfortable.

Same for the crate. Stand away from the crate and toss a treat in so he sees you do it, when he goes in for the treat praise praise. Move closer and same thing. Once he's comfortable with going in then toss a treat for him to get and close the door (but don't latch it) when he goes in open it immediately and praise. Toss treat, close door, and leave close for second or two then praise praise. Toss treat, close and latch door, open immediately and praise. When he's off somewhere else toss a treat or three in the crate without him seeing and then walk him past the crate. If he goes in praise praise. Keep all this up until you see him go in the crate on his own to see if any treats in there - big time praise! Crate him for few minutes while you walk away. Come back treat and praise. Then longer and longer times until he becomes totally comfortable with being in the crate. Notice that you never touch him to get him in the crate.

• @wizard Thank you for the advice! I think his main problem is a fear of being handled. He doesn't mind his crate or leash per se, but he growls and bites when he is handled to be put into either one. The breeder isn't sure what happened in his previous home to make him this way - she doesn't have the full story.

• Follow the steps and that should take care of the touching - you never have to touch him to get him in the crate anyway and the leash part will take some time. Don't do all the steps for the leash at one time - gradually increase to his threshold. I would also treat him anytime while handling (random petting, touch an ear, etc.) so he becomes more accustomed.

• Hi all! Update time. We met our potential B today and we are going to get him! He is an absolute love bug - Loves people and giving kisses. We won't be getting him until this summer because he is finishing his show season. Here are some photos of the darling:!!0_1492369836444_IMG_9967.jpg 0_1492370034888_IMG_9986.jpg 0_1492370194439_IMG_9973.jpg

• @dogelover He is SOOO Handsome!! Very happy for you! Be sure to get another while this one is still young or middle aged. I've had a B in this apartment since I moved in 15 yrs ago. Now it's so empty .... I can't even sleep more than a couple hours before I wake up - all alone. Every room had a B in it, back yard too & now, it's all just so empty & it"s worse than horrible.... It's hauntingly empty. So if you love this one fiercely, get another!!

• He seems absolutely wonderful! Congratulations!

• Thanks you guys!! Since we have a couple months before he comes home, does anyone have any book recommendations on training basenjis? He has never lived in a house before, but he does have basic manners because he is used to being shown.
    I guess the one thing we are nervous about is him adjusting from kennel life to home life. Right now he has a kennel with a large open dog run for him to run in. He is very energetic so I want to make sure to meet his energy needs!

Suggested Topics