Breeding my 2 year old Basenji

• Banned

Well let's start at the top... no one asked for your opinion, I did not risk my pet's life, and the proof of it, she is alive and well .....and has always had a clean bill of health from the Vet, and I might add, the vet warned me about people like you, and said most have no idea what they are talking about, they read a few articles and they then have a MD license in pet breeding.

As I have said, I have rescued my fair share of dogs over my lifetime and you unconstructive comments should be directed to those who have caused the shelters to be filled to the brim. I did not cause it, nor did I contribute to it, in any way shape or form. I wanted a litter, and one that I knew everything about, from the parents to the new owners.

No genetic nightmares here, so another misdirected unwanted comment by you.

I didn't neuter my kids, and I consider my Basenjis as family as well, plain and simple and it is my choice whether or do or I dont, your opinion surely is not going to make me do anything 1 way or another.

There is no law requiring to neuter them, it's a choice, and I am pretty sure I live in America still. Just because I am not a vegan, and I choose to eat meat, or I don't smoke, (I have never smoked )...its my right not too nor because I decided to have 2 real human children and not cut my ba!!$ off, and you might be all of those who wags a finger at all that, that's your right to do as you please, without my comments as it is my right as well.

I love your comment, "so you rescued 7 dogs big deal" so is it good or bad to rescue dogs?, or I guess those 7 lives did not matter to you??, but the 4 puppies of the litter of 6 all of sudden, makes a difference to you, because I did not rescue those 4? you can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.

So you have rescued 100 dogs, good for you, but yes you can have a litter anytime you want. You really should try it, it is truly a wonderful experience

.Lastly I have gotten more positive feedback than negative on this issue, so you are in the minority and your point of view is so far off base, but it really does not matter to me.

My very last comment on this matter is this. I raised 2 wonderful boys around the rescues we had as a family. Soo good in fact, that my Air Force veteran son, has successfully started a rescue and it is in fact a 501 non profit on 10 acres in Texas, mostly rescuing pitbulls, because of the bad rap they have in his eyes.

So the my family continues to do its part to help with this issue, one that we did not create and those who do backyard breeding as a business, or the puppy mills is where you need to wag your finger, I had 1 liter and 1 liter only and I encourage everyone to do it once in your lifetime, it is so rewarding.0_1482721304518_resized.jpg

• This post is deleted!

• I agree that you absolutely have your right to breed your dogs (I personally wouldn't have)....the only contribution I can add is that I would refrain from encouraging "everyone" to have at least one litter...we truly do have an epidemic in the states and the idea of perpetuating it is unsavory and in my opinion (my opinion)...an irresponsible thing to suggest. Glad everything worked out in your situation and you developed lasting relationship ships with your pups owners. @katoman

• Banned

Your right, but the attempt to stopping everyone from breeding, is obviously not working. There might be a approach to showing how to responsibly breed animals, because it appears people will do it regardless. I did my homework, I vetting the 4 I sold, very very picky and had them sign contracts...so I am confident, there is another way, but her wagging her finger at me, is more of a problem, as well , because then people go underground

• Banned

@DebraDownSouth Stay out of my business. You must not have a job, so please get on.......call my Vet..... why would I lie about that and why would allow a crazy person to chastise a good vet, just because you dont agree with a comment......zeez

• This post is deleted!

• @katoman said in Breeding my 2 year old Basenji:

@DebraDownSouth Stay out of my business. You must not have a job, so please get on.......call my Vet..... why would I lie about that and why would allow a crazy person to chastise a good vet, just because you dont agree with a comment......zeez

You can always tell when someone is so mad spittle is spraying the screen... they start calling names and insults. Discussing irresponsible breeding is one thing. Your above attempt at what? Insult? Is pathetic. You are on a public board. You tell your business so it's rather funny to tell me to stay out of it. Please, try to stop frothing. No matter how many juvenile insults, it won't make you a responsible breeder. No matter how many screams about YOUR BUSINESS, it is still sadly obvious that you are the one here telling your business and admitting you asked advise before... and throwing a tantrum because you didn't get the response you wanted. Again, don't want opinions? Keep your business private. No one needed to know about your family jewels or your backyard breeding. You spew stuff, you get responses. If you can't handle it, move on. Otherwise, stop crying over negativity when responsible people consider irresponsible breeding to be a bad thing.

As for people WANTING to breed responsibly, most folks will help. You didn't want info on breeding responsibly. That would have required you neuter your pets, seek out a well bred dog with good health testing for several generations, finding a mentor, and doing it responsibly. It would require that you are within spitting distance of comprehending genetics and the importance it plays in health. What you wanted was people to say, ah how sweet you want puppies from your mixed breed and no-info-on-background pet. You didn't get it, and seemingly years later still crying.

At this point, will let you keep digging that low ditch with your personal insults. It's a shame someone starts a thread and you hi-jack it for your own ranting whine. THAT person may actually want to learn how to do it right, unlike you. You truly aren't worth another typed word.

• Banned

thank you - finally you will move on. Please stick to you word and don't waste anymore time responding.

As far as hijacking the thread, I answered her question with my experience. Noticed she disappeared after your comment. Most people don't want to confront comments, simply because they get into a "trump like" conversation with someone who has no idea how to act in a public forum. FYI, she messaged me and thanked me for the comment.......

Well let's start at the top... no one asked for your opinion, I did not risk my pet's life, and the proof of it, she is alive and well .....and has always had a clean bill of health from the Vet, and I might add, the vet warned me about people like you, and said most have no idea what they are talking about, they read a few articles and they then have a MD license in pet breeding.

I want to see say something here, and I think it is something that anybody who is considering breeding their dog has to think about (and, probably, the majority do not). The world has more than enough dogs, so many that the shelters have to kill them, and for every puppy born, another dies in a shelter for lack of a home.
    -Joanne

• @katoman Ok ~ each person is entitled to an opinion ... doesn't mean that the opinion is right or wrong! It would be a very boring world if everyone had the same opinion about everything. The 4 pups that went to other homes, I'm guessing you still have contact with all of them & am wondering, did any of them breed using the pups? If so, why not post some pictures of them? Tell us what mix they are now! But the thread is titled "Breeding my 2 year old Basenji" which has nothing to do with your male genitalia so please, stop with your genitalia comments! Thank You!

• Banned

This post is deleted!

@Nancy-Berry there is nothing that mentions genitalia, you might be confusing the work genetic -OMG this is hilarious.

You maybe were not awake or fully in control of your faculties, so you might want to reread your own post

There is no law requiring to neuter them, it's a choice, and I am pretty sure I live in America still. Just because I am not a vegan, and I choose to eat meat, or I don't smoke, (I have never smoked )...its my right not too nor because I decided to have 2 real human children and not cut my ba!!$ off, and you might be all of those who wags a finger at all that, that's your right to do as you please, without my comments as it is my right as well.<<

"not cut my .... off" .... genitalia there, not genetic. LOL. Yes it is hilarious.

• @DebraDownSouth I'm glad someone else knows what genitalia means! He said it....no getting around it!! And besides.....who cares if he does or doesn't cut his b...$ off? Not me! He's getting so angry, he can't even talk right!! That's bad for the blood pressure!!

• @katoman Well woop dee doo! Your son was in the military! So was I ~ along with thousands of others! I'm glad he's helping with Pit Bulls...they are terriers but people forget that last word. And idiots make money off of fighting them which is disgusting!

• Banned

Now she mocks the military...

• Says she was also in the military isn't mocking it. It was point out that your son being in the military has nothing to do with the topic, any more than her being in it. Nor does Trump have to do with it. Nor does your family jewels. Nor does calling people names. Nor does most of the other stuff. Are you capable at all of discussing dogs like a mentally stable adult without the abusive rants and stuff? Give it a try.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @DebraDownSouth

Having been a 'dog person' all my life I decided to get a dog after starting a family with my wife. Tried the local shelters but couldn't find a dog that I felt was 'right'.

My first B came from a pet store, I knew nothing about Basenjis and the owner said they are great dogs, good with kids and very loyal etc, he came with an AKC pedigree. I figured he would be great as he had a pedigree.

Many years later I found out by research he came from a puppy mill in Kansas. His health was problematic after the first two years, he was also prone to pancreatitis. At six years old he developed diabetes, with the constant testing, insulin and needles. It worked out around $2000 a year for five years until he passed at eleven, so around $10,000. Still, I didn't really care so much about the money as he was such a good dog. The constant care was hard, he needed monitoring almost 24/7 as he was a brittle diabetic and his sugar was hard to control. Many late nights staying up late and every morning was early to test him.

He coped with it well although I know he did not like the injections sometimes, we got different size needles which helped and became experts at injections. Still, I would wish no dog to have to go through that.

Our other two Basenjis we got from a reputable breeder, our oldest is ten in a few days and has been very healthy her whole life. She is showing elevated liver enzymes now on routine blood work but shows no other symptoms. Our youngest is three and is also very healthy.

So, to me it seems insane to buy any basenji without full health testing and from a reputable breeder.

• I am sorry about your first dog. Having had rescues with serious health issues, I understand the desire for getting the healthiest possible. Sometimes, even with the best of breeders (like our Samoyed), problems can be a firestorm of bad luck. But your chances are so much better with good breeders.

Not sure if it will help, but I have used milk thistle for my liver for 14 yrs. The research on it is not strong, but it can't hurt. And it's not expensive. I put nothing in me without my liver doc's approval, btw.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/milk-thistle-or-silymarin (for pets)

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/milk-thistle/evidence/hrb-20059806 (for people)

Suggested Topics