• I'm looking for a breeder who socializes/raises their basenjis with cats. I hope you can help, the only one I've seen is Amore Basenjis. I'm looking for a young red and white female who is cat friendly. Many Thanks! Danica

• Have you talked to Amore Basenjis? If not, pretty sure they are going to tell you what I am going to say. Being raised with cats is very good, but it is never, ever a guarantee that your puppy won't turn into an issue as it matures. Or, that it won't be lovely forever to the cats you have when it arrives, but never accept a new one. That's just the bottom line truth with any breed. Many basenjis live with and get along with cats. But there isn't a breeder on earth who can honestly promise you that your puppy is going to be one of them. Even older dogs who have always been good around cats... it depends on your cats also, as they may push buttons the original home or foster home cats didn't. You need to provide your cats with easy safe escape places in every room and/or be prepared to confine the dog away from the cats if problems arise. I think early training with a puppy gives you the very best chance, but it is not 100 percent. I've know too many people who let their guard down and ended up with a dead cat not to caution you. You need to honestly evaluate your ability to get on training fast and whether you can handle things if the dog becomes cat aggressive. If so, hopefully you can find the puppy you want. 🙂

I took my puppies (rotties not basenji) to a friend's horse barn, around chickens, cats, horses. It is great to get them used to other things early on. But it is no guarantee.

Additionally, please know that you might have to wait for a year to get a puppy. Most basenjis have litters once a year

• Having had both cats and dogs at the same time, I can confirm that a dog that is "good" with one cat will not necessarily be good with another. My dogs knew the cats that belonged and the ones that didn't. Introducing a new cat could be problematic, and I had barn cats, not house cats, so for the most part I didn't have to worry about a confrontation when I was not around. A friend was not so lucky. Her Jack Russell terrier, who tolerated cats in her presence, killed one of her cats when she unfortunately left them alone together. It was definitely a wake up call. Many Basenjis, like Jack Russells, will only put up with so much aggrevation from a cat before acting on their instincts.

• @DebraDownSouth Thank you for sharing your experience, I certainly don't want to wind up with a dead cat! I was wondering if I should adopt the adult basenjis on BRAT that are listed "OK with cats" or I needed to start with a puppy, if I choose to proceed. You have given me a lot to think about! Thanks!

• @eeeefarm I didn't realize that a basenji might not accept a new cat into our home. : ( I had an African serval several years ago and he was raised with the housecats. Then one day he killed one while I was at work. Not good. Sounds like Basenjis are similar. Thank you for giving me perspective about this. I want my cats to be safe. The ones I have now pretty much live upstairs to keep away from our Basenji/mix who always wants to play.

• A friend had four cats and two German Shepherds that were "cat friendly". She never took the chance of leaving them alone unsupervised. When she went out, the cats were confined to one area of the house and the dogs to another. Better safe than sorry.

• I dont know why animal lovers want or need to mix dogs and cats, My 3 B's are outdoor dogs, they are hunters, the kill cats that come into our yard, its only natural. Basenjis are hunters, it cant be trained out of them.

• @CrazyBasenjiMom said in cat friendly Basenji:

I dont know why animal lovers want or need to mix dogs and cats, My 3 B's are outdoor dogs, they are hunters, the kill cats that come into our yard, its only natural. Basenjis are hunters, it cant be trained out of them.

I would beg to differ. Some Basenjis are good with other animals (my 2nd girl was good with chipmunks!) and many can be taught to leave family pets alone, at least when humans are present. It certainly isn't unheard of for a dog (yes, even a Basenji) and cat to play together. Lots of evidence on youtube. A couple of examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTSKmQSxQMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFt7Md2wLg

As I mentioned, it isn't wise to leave them together unsupervised. Of course, many dogs and cats will get along on a one on one basis. When you have multiple dogs, you have a pack. If one reacts and pursues a cat, the others likely will join in.

• Wow... well, first I am sorry your dogs are outdoor dogs. My dogs are all pets, live inside, play outside only in secure fencing. Yes, they would kill an animal that got into the fence. But for owning both... really wow. Older study from Gallup poll (2006)
    Pet ownership among the American public breaks down this way:
    27% own a dog but not a cat,
    12% own a cat but not a dog,
    17% own both,
    3% own pets other than cats or dogs,
    and 40% do not own any pets.

So you may not know why they want or need both, but a goodly percent do. Heck, in the old days, most farming folks had both. It isn't like its some new fangled idea.

I dont know why animal lovers want or need to mix dogs and cats, My 3 B's are outdoor dogs, they are hunters, the kill cats that come into our yard, its only natural. Basenjis are hunters, it cant be trained out of them.

As one animal lover to another, it might be better to keep your dogs indoors, then. Letting them kill the neighbors' cats is not love for animals.

At any rate, basenjis can be trained to tolerate a family cat. My wife and I followed this advice to introduce our African basenji to her much older cat. It was a slow process, but it worked fine.

http://www.americanhumane.org/animals/adoption-pet-care/dog-behavior/introducing-dogs-to-cats.html

• You were somewhat lucky with your basenjis temperament. most of the ones I know are not that amiable with catss. .

• @DebraDownSouth My basenjis love being outside, they run, play have shade, climb up on their table to rest, they have a hugh dog house for shelter, with a heater, when its gets cold, fresh water all day, , they race at the hugh park, get their teeth brushed every night when they come in the house to have dinner, get treats in the morning when I have my coffee outside with them.they have hay to make a nest. They have never like the house, they did to much damage anyway, and I dont hit my dogs to get them to behave the way humans want them too. Do not feel sorry for them. I an excellent basenji mom. The Ferrell cats that come into our yard are on their own, and my B,s chase them down, and sometimes catch them. survival of the fittest, these are not pets of anyone, we have a Ferrell cat problem where I live, they breed and leave the babies in our front garden, I take them to our human society, and never see them again, most of them are euthanized for leukemia. I m sorry you assumed they were killers of all cats, but in my experience Ive not see a basenji like cats or tolerate them. My trainer said not to mix those two breeds of animals. .

• @CrazyBasenjiMom Regardless of whether you permit your basenjis to kill cats, this is something you can train your dogs not to do. I lived in West Africa for two years. Basenjis and basenji-type dogs are indigenous to the area. They roam the streets just like every other domesticated animal there: cats, chickens, sheep, goats, ducks, etc. And they don't hunt and kill these other animals because their owners won't let them. Their prey drive is still high as any basenji, but they've been trained not to attack certain types of animals.

The moral of the story is that it is possible to train a basenji to be cat friendly, if only for a specific cat. It shouldn't be necessary to just throw up your hands and blame the breed's genetics. To the original poster, train your dog to tolerate the cat, and supervise them when they're together from then on. You should be fine.

@DebraDownSouth My basenjis love being outside, ...They have never like the house, they did to much damage anyway, and I dont hit my dogs to get them to behave...I m sorry you assumed they were killers of all cats, but in my experience Ive not see a basenji like cats or tolerate them. My trainer said not to mix those two breeds of animals. <<

First of all, I am unsure we even have a chance of meaningful discussion. My experience is that most dogs love being in the house with their humans if actually raised or kept inside for a while. Your assumption that you have to hit them to avoid them being destructive is simply beyond me. One can train a dog to not destroy without hitting them. It may take longer, but is far more rewarding to dog and owner. Seems like your options were either hit your dogs or throw outside to avoid house damage. Nor did I say anything about your dogs killing cats. In fact I said MY DOGS would kill a cat that got in their fence. Finally, just because you and your trainer have experience and opinions that basenjis and cats can't be together peacefully doesn't being to make it true. Many here have both. I know of many who have both. It takes training, care and precautions, but certainly not even close to being undoable.

My dogs live in my home. They go out to potty and play, but they are companions, loving being with us inside. Is there some destruction if I don't watch a youngster? Yep, from any breed. But the time it takes to train "leave it" is worth having my dogs inside, safe and with me.

• It depends on the cat just as much as it depends on the dog. Does your cat run "prey-like" when frightened? I have 2 cats that have lived with 3 different basenjis. My male cat and my first basenji were pals and often cuddled together. They would wrestle and when the dog got too unruly he'd (the cat) nip him to keep him in line. My female cat ran every time she saw my dog. She was fun to chase and like most basenjis: "thing move, I chase thing!" Cody never ever hurt them and recognized that they were part of his "pack" (for lack of a better term). Cat outside? FORGET IT! He never caught one but boy did he try!

My cats no longer live with my dogs (I moved and the cats stayed with my parents) and I know my female cat is much happier. Elliot my 3yr old is OK with my cats but Morgan my 1yr old chases them. Neither try to hurt them but the stress of being chased is a lot for a 15 year old cat to handle.

0_1469113804783_1003649_10151420270322531_1939276400_n.jpg

Suggested Topics