• mBiF, group winning, AKC Dual Ch (FC, Ch) Idlewild-Jerlin's Digital RN, SC, MX, MXJ, OAP, AJP, EAC, EJC, OGC, AD, ASFA FCh, TDIAOV, MVB, 2002/2007 #1 agility basenji (AKC rankings)

It is with a heavy heart that I want to tell you about Digital's passing. I really cannot help but to feel lucky and blessed that I got to have such a wonderful dog for almost 16 years. I picked him up on Halloween weekend at 10 months old and he was to be my first show dog. I had "big" plans for him to be a conformation champion and a therapy dog. What he gave me was so much more. He excelled at everything I asked of him - conformation, coursing, agility, rally and therapy work. Coursing was easy for him, mainly, I think, because there was so little training for the human end of the leash. Four runs and he had his AKC Field Championship, 3 BoB's and 2 Best in Fields. I'll never forget the weekend in Wichita where he went BiF for 5 points one day and Best of Winners for 5 points the next. Yea, he was that kind of dog. I should add that he was always (very novice) owner handled. He was awarded quite a few BoB's and even managed to get a group 1.

In agility, he was in the top 3 basenjis for 7 (or more?) years. He always kept me on my toes. I wish I knew then what I know now about training. I'm far from perfect, but even so, you always feel kind of sorry for your learner dog. And agility training has advanced so much in the last 16 years. I doubt there are more than a few dogs around from his era, but I think they still live on in our memories and hearts.

And as a therapy dog, he was wonderful. He was a gentle, quiet dog that enjoyed meeting all sorts of people. He delighted residents with his yodel. "Make him talk" they'd say. And I would. And he did!

I was hoping he'd make it to his 17th birthday, but I am grateful for the time I did have. I stopped counting titles at #30, but I know he achieved some more after that. And all with a novice owner. Yea, he was that kind of dog, er basenji. I doubt I'll ever be fortunate enough to have such a wonderful amazing dog again, but he has left a legacy of friends (both human and canines) and passions that will always be with me.

Love your pups tonight, because even if you're lucky enough to have them for 16 or more years, it's gone in the blink of an eye.

• Very sad to hear of his passing, will give my boy an extra big snuggle tonight and hope we get the time together to make the memories you have of your Digital wonder dog.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• Oh, I'm so terribly sorry to hear this. I know he's been having health issues for a while. Losing a heart dog is the hardest thing. You gave him a wonderful life and he knew how loved he was. We never have them long enough…but in many ways, they never leave us. They claim that special spot in our hearts, and there they stay.

Run free, Digital, you amazing, talented, special boy.

Hope you, Zest and the rest are doing okay.

• Very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing you and Digital's adventures through the years in the forum, as Digital brought smiles and laughs to a lot of us, too.

• First Basenji's

So very sad, wow. Your anecdotes of him left an impression on me as a wonderful example of all that a Basenji could become in a good, long life. R.I.P.

• I am very sorry to hear this news. It's been a pleasure to read about him and share in a small way this wonderful boy. Such talent is rare, and I'm sure you will treasure your memories forever.

• It saddens me greatly to read that Digital has passed. I am deeply sorry he is no longer with you and Zest! Sixteen years seems like a good long life, but compared to ours, so very short. My condolences and I am glad you have such a great legacy of his to carry along.

• I'm so sorry to hear you have lost this amazing dog…but what wonderful memories he has left. {Huggzz} to you and Zest - and forgives Butu for eating the leather sofa....

• First Basenji's

So sorry for your loss. Keep the memories-some special guy! the passing is never easy….

• thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. Digital was certainly my once-in-a-lifetime dog and I miss him every day, but I have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of sympathy.

• I remember joining the forum and the first time I heard digitals name I wanted to name my future puppy digital…same with Zest!
    ..I'm a little obsessed with your unique name choices. Digital will always remind me of your digital...I hope for you that the days get easier

• Thanks. Digital came with his name. At 10 months he knew it, so we just kept it. It was actually a great name choice as there wasn't anyone else around who had that name (either in basenji circles or agility circles) and everyone could pronounce it. (Which is important as they call out the order of names in the agility classes.) Digital's breeder's son-in-law was a soccer fan and there was a player named Digital Takawara (probably misspelled that!) who they named my dog after.

The try-ing's name is Jet. sort of boring. His registered name is "Jerlin's Saint or Sinner". The breeder was calling him Saint, but I couldn't call him that and wasn't about to call a basenji Sinner. I wanted to call him Jude as St Jude is the patron saint of lost causes, but it was DH's call as it was his dog.

I named Zest! There's an Iggy Pop song called Lust for Life. Many, many years ago when I first heard that song, I thought the lyrics were Zest for Life. And so that's my first thought whenever I hear that song. A short time before I got Zest, I started my car and that song came on and I thought "I want an agility dog named ZEST!" So she was named after a song that never even uses her name.

The malinois in the house both came with their names. Mucha (RIP, was named after Alphonse Mucha) and Pearl - kind of a common name but once I figured out it was short for Pearl-petual Motion, it fit.

• Just came back on to the Forum after a longish absence. I was so sorry to hear about Digital.

What a wonderful boy! And you were lucky to have found one another. It's so hard to lose them; we never have them long enough. Trite, but time does help with the pain, someday you'll be able to think of him without tearing up every time!

Terry

• Sorry for your loss 😞

• Just seeing this, not sure how I missed it but I am so sorry. Yes, blessed with nearly 16 yrs… but that's more years to leave a bigger hole in your heart.

Suggested Topics