• duh… i love both girls and Laika has tested affected, so i cant send to my brother.. and Laika enjoys so much been with Maca.. Laika is so shy and like to be cuddle with me at bed, and Maca sleeps at my feet. So i have hope on Laika taking the pasive place... i read that having both fixed will be not so good idea, so only one is fixed for now, Maca needs to establish her alfa position, but i try to be the one.. so they dont need to fight for the first position. On any case i stop any rude game.. and if laika screams both get punished been put out of my sight.. Maca hates been or having me out of her sight, so the worst for her is been taking out . Both walks very happy together.. on dual leash or each on her own.

• Anyway i cant think on send any of them away, its not fair.. i must get a male but was not thinking on breed or even having a male.. so i adopted laika.. now i wont recomend to anybody under any cirscunstance, but for now they live together and pass the time together and i cant trust to anobody to care for them. Well only on person but its on another continent.. lol

• As the saying goes, it works till it doesn't… However, I don't agree that having them both fixed would be more of a problem? Right now you are dealing with hormones in one and not in the other... usually best to have both fixed.

• Okay.. well i read that one need to be clearly the alfa, if i get fixed both, they will be at the same level, again.
    Maca tested clear, so i will breed her these season, already i have home for at least 2 puppies with another members of the mexican group that are in search of the counter part for their basenjis. And only will breed her if i can get the male that im looking for, a foreigner male, because already the mexican basenjis are all relatives. Or not worth the trouble of breeding .. maybe end fixing Maca too.. and anyway will like
    a male. That will be full basenji family. i can?t trust on live more long so that will be my first and last batch of basenjis, so i wanna enjoy the male.
    So.. yes, while works they can be together, when stop working still have space to get on in the garden , one inside, and the next day change.. they can run free on the whole house.. and get in/out of the garden.

• And i trust your experience Pat, better than any internet article sure..

• Spaying her is actually your BEST bet of getting them together better. Being spayed does not mean not the alpha! I promise you this. NOT being spayed just means fluctuating hormones and more risks of fighting. Please do spay her soon. Each fight you have increases the chance of a fight that ends all chance of them ever being friends again.

• You wrote:

Okay.. well i read that one need to be clearly the alfa, if i get fixed both, they will be at the same level, again.

Having them both spayed is the best thing you can do, since DebraDownSouth is totally correct. Also, I believe there will always be one dog who is alpha over the other, spayed or not. With female Basenjis its just the normal course of events. Sometimes both dogs accept this standard and get along really well, and at other times, as they mature, the fights increase. Bringing in another B, male or not, will most likely just make the other two more uncertain of their "position in the pack."

• @DebraDownSouth:

Spaying her is actually your BEST bet of getting them together better. Being spayed does not mean not the alpha! I promise you this. NOT being spayed just means fluctuating hormones and more risks of fighting. Please do spay her soon. Each fight you have increases the chance of a fight that ends all chance of them ever being friends again.

Agreed Debra…. and it sounds to me like the young one is a dominate want to be.... been there, done that... finally did have to place the youngest as the elder was here first.

• i need to ask, do you have several bitches, do you have all locked on cages?
    i was checking several kennels, and all have several females so they are separate all the times?

These 2 dont fight often, i mean the last fight was on january, before that, on september, and the first one was one year and six months, i mean they fight only on season.. these season Laika will be on a cage to protect her, or maybe not because Maca will flight to Mexico City to be breeding.. sure if she dont acept the male, wont breed, im not a believer to force the female.. so if she acepts the male will breed with him.. thats one plan. other plan is not breed her.. but i want to breed her so i can get spayed soon. why breed her? well, if i breed her will be with the best male actually on Mexico, the other nice male are his dad.. so its not an option, the other plan is to get a foreigner male.. but that will take more time.. i like the idea of wait to check laika get 3 years old.

I think Laika wants to be a dominant too.. but sadly they will learn or will live separate, but can NOT give away Laika, she is fanconi affected and she likes to live here.. and Maca is Maca. So nobody lefts.. And like the breeder said, she prefers the company of their own kind, so its not nice send her to be the only basenji at home.

• @Maca:

i need to ask, do you have several bitches, do you have all locked on cages?
    i was checking several kennels, and all have several females so they are separate all the times?

These 2 dont fight often, i mean the last fight was on january, before that, on september, and the first one was one year and six months, i mean they fight only on season.. these season Laika will be on a cage to protect her, or maybe not because Maca will flight to Mexico City to be breeding.. sure if she dont acept the male, wont breed, im not a believer to force the female.. so if she acepts the male will breed with him.. thats one plan. other plan is not breed her.. but i want to breed her so i can get spayed soon. why breed her? well, if i breed her will be with the best male actually on Mexico, the other nice male are his dad.. so its not an option, the other plan is to get a foreigner male.. but that will take more time.. i like the idea of wait to check laika get 3 years old.

At this time I have two in-tact Bitches… there (fingers crossed) have not had ever any problems, even with C-Me whelping a litter in November... but when I brought them both home, I was super, super careful with their temperaments.

I have had a bitch that was 5yrs, one of my other bitches whelped a litter and I kept one of the bitches. At the time I had 3 in-tact bitches, one neuter males. All was great until the puppy bitch I kept at 5 months wanted to challenge the 5yr old (not her Mom)... it was totally down hill from there. While I didn't keep them separate, we had way to many fights... and since the oldest was the first in the house, the youngest needed to be placed... she had a litter and got even worse, so it worked out perfect with one of my puppy people that really wanted two pups... I place the pup and her Mom in that home. It was a match made in heaven.

I will not separate my house into packs... I will place problem makers in other homes....

Suggested Topics