• He was only 3 1/2. He should have had plenty more years of laying in the sun, chewing up socks and underwear, stealing my food, hogging the bed, belly and leg rubs, and so much more.

It's not fair. I feel so empty. The house is empty. There's just this void. I didn't know it could be so painful. I keep picturing him all over. My memories are so fresh and vivid like it was just yesterday.

How do you get through it?

• I am so sorry to hear this !
    Don't dispare, it is true that dogs go to heaven.
    It is right in the Bible that they are there.
    I will light a candle for your sweet baby,for safe
    passage over the Bridge.
    This candle gets lit every time I hear of a dear dogs passing.
    If you want a good website to go to for a memorial, go to
    In-Memory-Of-Pets.com
    I have all my B's listed there. It's a wonderful website.
    May you find peace in the knowledge that your baby is in the
    arms of his creator.

• I know how you feel
    It will be like this for a while.
    Everyone has there own timeframe when a loss occurs.
    I have lost many over the 38 years that I have had basenjis.
    It never gets any easier.
    I lost one of mine going on 11 years now, and I still am not over him.
    I got two tattoos of him,one of his pawprint right over my heart.
    The other is of him running full out like he did when he was racing.
    They are a comfort to me as I see them everyday.
    Be gentle with yourself and stay strong.
    Writing your feelings down on paper helps to heal your heart.
    Go to the website I suggested. You can write there and also lit a candle.
    I will keep you in my prayers

• @Rocky1:

I am so sorry to hear this !
    Don't dispare, it is true that dogs go to heaven.
    It is right in the Bible that they are there.
    I will light a candle for your sweet baby,for safe
    passage over the Bridge.
    This candle gets lit every time I hear of a dear dogs passing.
    If you want a good website to go to for a memorial, go to
    In-Memory-Of-Pets.com
    I have all my B's listed there. It's a wonderful website.
    May you find peace in the knowledge that your baby is in the
    arms of his creator.

Does it really say that in the Bible? That's been one of my boats concerns.

• Thank you both. I'll try and upload videos and pictures of him soon.

• I am so sorry for your loss. It's the price we pay for loving them, and I have paid it many times, for my Basenjis, for my horses, for my other dogs. Time is the only thing that heals. After we lost Sunny, his passing left such a hole in our hearts. Then Perry came, six months later. Nobody could replace Sunny, but Perry brought his own personality to brighten our lives. Seven years on, I know we have likely had at least half of our time with him, but there is never a way to know how many days you have, with a pet or with any loved one. Remember the good ones, grieve your loss, time will dull the pain and let you look back to the good times. Cry when you need to, it definitely helps.

• There is a great video that you can order about Animals in Heaven.
    It is very nicely done and a great comfort to anyone who has lost an animal
    and wants proof of where they go.

Animals in Heaven can be order from www.jvim.com
    It will give you all the scriptures in the Bible to tell you that
    God would not abandon our pets.
    Everything on this Earth is also in Heaven.

• So sorry for your loss…. it is hard enough when they are elderly... but have had a full life... to lose one so young is really, really hard...

Just remember that you will carry his soul in your heart forever...

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my baby boy to cancer a month shy of his 10th birthday and I still tear up when I talk about him.
    He was a lucky boy to have such a loving family who did everything they could for him!

• So sorry to hear this, he was too young to go. I find death of a pet the hardest part of pet ownership but still it is worth it, every pet that comes into your life is special, no two are the same and your memories of your boy will keep him alive in your heart until the pain lessens and another comes to make your heart bigger and more full. I also agree that having a good cry helps, you need to grieve before you can love again. Sending hugs your way.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• @Heinz57:

He was only 3 1/2. He should have had plenty more years of laying in the sun, chewing up socks and underwear, stealing my food, hogging the bed, belly and leg rubs, and so much more.

It's not fair. I feel so empty. The house is empty. There's just this void. I didn't know it could be so painful. I keep picturing him all over. My memories are so fresh and vivid like it was just yesterday.

How do you get through it?

Oh, I am so very, very, very sorry. And you are absolutely right, it is NOT fair. not fair at all. You and him deserved a much longer time together.

And as far as getting through it, you just put one foot in front of the other. I don't think there really is an easy answer to that. I lost my beloved Digital almost a year ago. I can hardly believe it's been that long, but every day since, I have thought of him. Missed him. And still love him. And some days I still cry about it.

And yes, all dogs go to heaven. When Digital passed, I realized that all dogs really belong to the Creator anyway, so when they pass, they're really just going home. I know Digital, and Jet (my trying boy who passed in May) and your boy and all those other basenjis are there - happy and whole and free of pain. And sometimes they come back.

If you find you need more support, you may want to ask your vet if they know of a support group. I know here there is one through the local animal humane society. And your welcome here. Or you can email me privately if you need to.

And when you're ready, they'll be a pup for you, somewhere. I got a puppy for Christmas. But, because I wasn't emotionally ready for another brindle basenji, I got a brindle boy of a different breed. And Devon has been delightful and was the right thing for me. And someday, I'll get another beautiful brindle basenji, but not quite yet.

• I'm so very sorry, I can only imagine how devastating this is for you, losing him so suddenly, so young. You and your husband did the right thing, sparing him any pain and misery. And "tincture of time" is the only way to get through it. Lots of tears and memories. Maybe make a photo album, with lots of notes about all the special things he did. If you haven't read the poems about 'The Rainbow Bridge', Google and read, all our dogs who have gone before us are waiting for us there. I'm really sorry.

• Thank you all.

I can now talk about him without breaking down. I still tear up. I can look at his pictures and his toys. There's still a void and it's still painful and I still cry, but not as much.

We have his ashes on the windowsill, one of his favorite places.

Suggested Topics