Naming my litter. questions!!?!?

• @YodelDogs:

They look like good names to me. I don't see why you would have a problem with any of them.

Thanks Robyn! I appreciate your input. I hope everyone is right, because i am super excited about using the names, they sound awesome to me (personally knowing what its all about) Thanks again everyone!

• First Basenji's

I am sorry but I just have to ask this question "why do you want to breed?" It is just that there are sooooo many dogs everywhere. On this forum for example, there are always basenji's having to be re-homed for many reason: lost jobs in this economy, USA and Canada…., non-responsibility in one form or another, more puppies, it is just a vicious cycle. I assist a dog rescue and there are more dogs than homes or fosters everywhere. I went to a shelter (pound) to evaluate a companion for one of my previous clients and was saddened beyond tears. Two and three dogs laying next to another with a pile of feces on the floor............Go to any BRAT link or Basenji Rescue and you will see dogs available. I will stop here and wait for your answer....PS this is not meant to stir up anything, just curious as to the WHY?

• First Basenji's

Well i guess some ppl don't think Basenji's are "normal" so it only makes sense to like the unusual loll

• I think there are lots of reason that people want to breed a litter… right or wrong... but people interested in breeding do need to ask the hard questions... Why?.. What do I hope to help improve the breed? Am I ready for the cost involved? Am I ready to take responsibilty for any/all pups that I produce?... Do I know enough about the breed to be able to educate people before they purchase a pup? Am I willing to tell people "sorry this is not the breed for you"..... Not every Basenji should be bred... and there are many responsible breeders that take this to heart... on the other hand, others do not.... Do you have a reservation list? One that is thinking of breeding should at least have a couple of homes lined up that have been screened and look to be good Basenji homes.

• @Buddys:

I am sorry but I just have to ask this question "why do you want to breed?"

I know this wasn't directed at me but as a breeder, I would like to answer it. I love the entire process of researching pedigrees and looking at the ancestry through photos or hands-on evaluations of the dogs involved. I love trying to determine which conformational faults and virtues as well as health concerns are likely to be passed along. I love being there for the whelping and helping each little one into this world. I spend countless hours just watching and holding pups. I love to watch every bit of growth, physically and mentally. These changes can happen so fast that if you blink you can miss them. I love seeing the little blobs grow into puppies who look just as I expected them too. I love the new families who get them. They become part of my extended family and many have kept in contact for the lifetime of their dog. I love getting pictures and stories. It gives me such a warm feeling inside knowing just how happy I made a family by bringing that puppy into the world. These are just some of the reasons that I am a breeder.

It is just that there are sooooo many dogs everywhere. On this forum for example, there are always basenji's having to be re-homed for many reason: lost jobs in this economy, USA and Canada.

You are correct. The economy has taken quite a toll on people. Quality homes have became a bit more difficult to find over the past few years so breeders need to make sure that they can keep litters however long it takes to get them into the right homes.

I assist a dog rescue and there are more dogs than homes or fosters everywhere.

Go to any BRAT link or Basenji Rescue and you will see dogs available.

I have been a breeder for 20 years and also spent 10 years doing Basenji rescue. While there will always be a need for rescue, there will also be a need for responsible breeders. Why? First of all, if responsible breeders suddenly stopped breeding, breeds would disappear. Disreputable sources will continue to crank out poorly bred pups who, after a few generations, would start to turn into generic dogs. Secondly, it is extremely uncommon for the dogs in rescue to have originated from responsible breeders. If a dog does "slip through the cracks" and lands in rescue, then a responsible breeder will do whatever they can to take responsibility for that dog thus removing or reducing the strain on rescue groups. And, this not directed at anyone specific but is rather a general comment, everyone doesn't want a rescue. I know that it is "trendy" right now for people to own rescues. Potential pet owners are shunned for wanting to go to a breeder instead of "saving a life". This is wrong. No one should be made to feel guilty about it. And let's face it, a dog that is in a good rescue group or foster home is in no danger of being killed so you aren't saving it from anything. (Animals in shelters are a different story. You are saving a life if you adopt from a kill shelter.)

I think what I am trying to say is that if a person finds a good match for them in a rescue or shelter then I think they should adopt it. If they do not find a match or choose to go to a responsible breeder instead, then that's what they should do. ALL of the dogs/puppies need homes and they need to find the right dog for THEM no matter where it comes from.

• Well said, Robyn.

• First Basenji's

I agree, well said Robyn. A very well rounded reply, and I appreciate your time in explaining the options that are out there. I am not one who advocates adopting ONLY from a shelter or rescue. I love to hear that it happens, but totally respect the choice of wanting a pedigree. I just hope that anyone who breeds for what ever reason does follow responsible guidelines for the prospective new owners, health and welfare of the puppies, dams and sires, and of the wholesomeness(?) of the breed of choice.

• @tanza:

I think there are lots of reason that people want to breed a litter… right or wrong... but people interested in breeding do need to ask the hard questions... Why?.. What do I hope to help improve the breed? Am I ready for the cost involved? Am I ready to take responsibilty for any/all pups that I produce?... Do I know enough about the breed to be able to educate people before they purchase a pup? Am I willing to tell people "sorry this is not the breed for you"..... Not every Basenji should be bred... and there are many responsible breeders that take this to heart... on the other hand, others do not.... Do you have a reservation list? One that is thinking of breeding should at least have a couple of homes lined up that have been screened and look to be good Basenji homes.

I do. I have a waiting list. Have a couple people already line up for homes. 6 people so far. Probably will be more but that is a good waiting list since i want to keep a puppy back and my co owner wants to keep a puppy also.

• @YodelDogs:

I know this wasn't directed at me but as a breeder, I would like to answer it. I love the entire process of researching pedigrees and looking at the ancestry through photos or hands-on evaluations of the dogs involved. I love trying to determine which conformational faults and virtues as well as health concerns are likely to be passed along. I love being there for the whelping and helping each little one into this world. I spend countless hours just watching and holding pups. I love to watch every bit of growth, physically and mentally. These changes can happen so fast that if you blink you can miss them. I love seeing the little blobs grow into puppies who look just as I expected them too. I love the new families who get them. They become part of my extended family and many have kept in contact for the lifetime of their dog. I love getting pictures and stories. It gives me such a warm feeling inside knowing just how happy I made a family by bringing that puppy into the world. These are just some of the reasons that I am a breeder.

You are correct. The economy has taken quite a toll on people. Quality homes have became a bit more difficult to find over the past few years so breeders need to make sure that they can keep litters however long it takes to get them into the right homes.

I have been a breeder for 20 years and also spent 10 years doing Basenji rescue. While there will always be a need for rescue, there will also be a need for responsible breeders. Why? First of all, if responsible breeders suddenly stopped breeding, breeds would disappear. Disreputable sources will continue to crank out poorly bred pups who, after a few generations, would start to turn into generic dogs. Secondly, it is extremely uncommon for the dogs in rescue to have originated from responsible breeders. If a dog does "slip through the cracks" and lands in rescue, then a responsible breeder will do whatever they can to take responsibility for that dog thus removing or reducing the strain on rescue groups. And, this not directed at anyone specific but is rather a general comment, everyone doesn't want a rescue. I know that it is "trendy" right now for people to own rescues. Potential pet owners are shunned for wanting to go to a breeder instead of "saving a life". This is wrong. No one should be made to feel guilty about it. And let's face it, a dog that is in a good rescue group or foster home is in no danger of being killed so you aren't saving it from anything. (Animals in shelters are a different story. You are saving a life if you adopt from a kill shelter.)

I think what I am trying to say is that if a person finds a good match for them in a rescue or shelter then I think they should adopt it. If they do not find a match or choose to go to a responsible breeder instead, then that's what they should do. ALL of the dogs/puppies need homes and they need to find the right dog for THEM no matter where it comes from.

Wow Robyn! I couldn't have said it better if i tried. Just, wow! 🙂 Great explaination. Took the words from my mouth only you explained them like a gazillion times better than how i could have worded it. Im not good with that. but honestly, thats exactly how i feel about it too. Thank you for the post!

• @Buddys:

I agree, well said Robyn. A very well rounded reply, and I appreciate your time in explaining the options that are out there. I am not one who advocates adopting ONLY from a shelter or rescue. I love to hear that it happens, but totally respect the choice of wanting a pedigree. I just hope that anyone who breeds for what ever reason does follow responsible guidelines for the prospective new owners, health and welfare of the puppies, dams and sires, and of the wholesomeness(?) of the breed of choice.

I do have a waiting list for the future puppies (besides the ones that myself and the co breeder are keeping.) I also have a contract that states for any reason the puppies are welcome back at any time for any reason and i highly urge this to my potential owners (i say required but we all know that people fall through loops when you say required) anyways All of my dogs are health tested and the sire is health tested too. Fanconi, eyes, thyroid, and the hips I am waiting for results but she isnt in heat yet so i hope i will get it before they are bred. Trust me, I also know how rescues are. I have rescued (www.foreverfriendsrescue.webs.com) since 2008 when i rescued my first dog scheduled to be put down that day i went into the pound, and i never really stopped) so i know the effects that bad breeders can have on the dog population. Which is why we need to have more responsible breeders out there. Ones who do the health testing, ones who care where there puppies go, ones who want to help the breed, ones who give a $h!t. I love this breed. They are my world and i just cant live without them. They chose me. I chose them. Its the only breed that is right for ME. and I know this. I love showing (only been to a few so far, as i am fairly new) but i love it and i enjoy meeting new people that share the love of basenjis too and I enjoy the fun and sport of it. I really want to do what is right with breeding, which is why i have waited to find a good breeder to help me along and to help guide me as my mentor. Miah is a wonderful dog, so close to standard. and so pretty. nice pedigree and the most supurb temperament also. With my mating (dorsey x miah) I expect great things! Me and my co owner are really excited as is the sire owner. We cant wait for this litter. I know breeding is a huge controversy because of all the unwanted pets in the world, but i have been there with rescueing and if i truely didnt feel like my dog was worthy of it, and i truely didnt feel like I could do it CORRECTLY, i honestly wouldnt. but thank you for your input. I know you care, as do we. but i really am trying to do it right. Spent lots of money getting tests done, and finding a really nice bitch to start with, and getting the knowledge. (I got my first basenji 11 years ago! and i have researched and experienced the whole time!) After 11 years, i feel i am finally ready to take the step and breed my bitch to start my kennel where i want to continue to show and create loving, family pets. as well as fun things like coursing and agility, etc..

Suggested Topics