• exactly eeeefarms.. when I fed my dogs rmb, they none, not one, ever needed teeth cleaning. My vets jokes I must be cheating on them .

But in the "old days" the dogs broke teeth, suffered, got infected, suffered, had health ruined or died because for many in the "old days" you fed them, you had done your part. Most dogs never saw a vet until rabies were made a legal requirement.

• @DebraDownSouth:

But in the "old days" the dogs broke teeth,

That is my one objection to feeding bones. I have had dogs chip teeth on them, and I know it could be worse with a greedy chewer, which all mine seem to be…...but it sure keeps their teeth sparkling!

• First Basenji's

Ok, back to Rudo and the pain thread! What has been the outcome for Rudo?

• @Buddys:

Don't worry about my knowledge of not getting the teeth done and that it could lead to serious health issues. I know what she needs, trust me! Wonder what they did 75 years ago. Do you think they had beef flavored toothpaste?

Well, they do have flavoured toothpaste now! 🙂

I clean Kipawa's teeth once a week - he thinks the toothbrush is a toy, so it takes a bit of time. But I also use a product called PlaqueOff (made in Sweden) which works very well for Kipawa. The main ingredient is kelp. I sprinkle it on his food and he seems to love the taste of it. It inhibits plaque and his breath smells good (neutral, no unpleasant odor). I get it from a specialty pet store near where we live, but you can also get it online. Here is the web address: http://www.plaqueoff.com/for-animals/

They also make a version for humans (in capsules). I started buying it for myself - and it works. 🙂 But I have switched to using just the powder because there is a huge price difference and I don't think the product for humans is any different than the product for dogs. I put some in a bit of water in a water bottle, shake it around and slug it down.

• @Kipawa:

Well, they do have flavoured toothpaste now! 🙂

I clean Kipawa's teeth once a week - he thinks the toothbrush is a toy, so it takes a bit of time. But I also use a product called PlaqueOff (made in Sweden) which works very well for Kipawa. The main ingredient is kelp. I sprinkle it on his food and he seems to love the taste of it. It inhibits plaque and his breath smells good (neutral, no unpleasant odor). I get it from a specialty pet store near where we live, but you can also get it online. Here is the web address: http://www.plaqueoff.com/for-animals/

They also make a version for humans (in capsules). I started buying it for myself - and it works. 🙂 But I have switched to using just the powder because there is a huge price difference and I don't think the product for humans is any different than the product for dogs. I put some in a bit of water in a water bottle, shake it around and slug it down.

Forgot to mention that Kipawa has elk antlers to chew on, and I think the chewing on those helps with tartar buildup as well.

• Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in the update, things got a bit busy. So far Ru's been pain free and back to normal for a week now thank goodness. I was so going to take him back to the vet for xrays last monday as of saturday before last but the next day (sunday) he was back to his goofy goober self, loping and bouncing around. I've been keeping an eye on him since, every minute i'm with him and it seems he's all better… knock on wood. And i've been doing range of motion tests and massage just about everyday.

Thank you for all the ideas and comments. if anything remotely happens like this again or if he show any pain anywhere I'm going to investigate the heck out it and pursue and treatment necessary 🙂

• Really glad to hear this news! It's always worrisome when there is a problem and you can't pinpoint the cause.

• That is great news! Of course, every movement you'll imagine is pain for a while but that's normal. 🙂

• First Basenji's

Glad it was nothing serious or long lasting!

• Good news I hope he continues without pain .

Suggested Topics